Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Chinese / Non-TV TV brand are you most likely to vote for with your wallet
HiSense 10 3.05%
Kodak 9 2.74%
Motorola 0 0%
OnePlus 52 15.85%
Realme 4 1.22%
TCL 43 13.11%
Toshiba 34 10.37%
Vu 82 25.00%
Xiaomi 67 20.43%
Others (Please specify) 27 8.23%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2021, 21:58   #121

Re: The Budget / Frugal TV thread

Quote:
The heavily marketed 102W JBL soundbar is good as a TV speaker but not at all a replacement to a proper sound system. My Sony HTS-350 is anyway doing the sound duties. The fabric covered soundbar though is a nice design element and gives the TV a premium look.
Hi, I got this tv recently and i have a problem in connecting my JBL Bar2.1 soundbar through hdmi ARC. I use amazon basic hdmi cable, the same cable was used on my mi tv 4x and it worked fine. But in this tv the connection is very buggy, it worked for once or twice after fiddling with CEC settings but it’s still not stable especially after I restart my tv. Could you plz help!!
Old 24th June 2021, 23:28   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchu90 View Post
Hi, I got this tv recently and i have a problem in connecting my JBL Bar2.1 soundbar through hdmi ARC. I use amazon basic hdmi cable, the same cable was used on my mi tv 4x and it worked fine. But in this tv the connection is very buggy, it worked for once or twice after fiddling with CEC settings but it’s still not stable especially after I restart my tv. Could you plz help!!
I have no such problems. HDMI ARC has been working flawlessly so far and I have not had to reselect the audio source at all which I needed to do once in a while on my old VU. I'm getting a proper Dolby Digital plus output on my soundbar.

I'm using my Tata Sky HD box cable. Suggest you try a different cable and see if it fixes the problem.

How do you find the TV otherwise? I am quite impressed with the panel and colour reproduction in the standard mode which is the most natural. I found Dolby vision content to have a yellowish tint which I fixed with the calibrated option and now it looks great.
Old 25th June 2021, 09:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Toshiba U7980 65 inch TV in Sep 2020 and I am very very happy with my purchase. Of course I dont know the support story yet and I hope I wont have to in future too.

The TV is a 4K FALD display which supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and HDR+. My older TV is a Panasonic plasma and yet I feel this TV does a good job of producing good black levels. The peak brightness is claimed to be 700 nits and overall its quite good as far as brightness and blacks are concerned.

Unfortunately given its not a popular brand and TV, software support is not up to the mark. The native apps are limited since its based on proprietary Vida OS. I have connected a FireTV 4K stick to this and it works well. Again FireTV has an issue with showing NF in Dolby vision but the native NF app is good and does job well. So the FireTV takes care of Prime, SonyLiv, Hotstar etc apps while I use native NF for Dolby vision content.

The HDMI port has ARC enabled so I hooked up FireTV to the HDMI and get DOlby Digital on my AVR. The TV's native media player for USB can read many audio and video formats so you are sorted there. It also has native Plex app but given its older one, I use the one present on FireTV. You can hook HDD directly to TV if you do not have NAS.

I got this at 67K on 0 interest EMI as no up front discount offers were running. Overall, I am quite happy with my purchase. My Panasonic plasma is now mounted in bedroom. Its such a lovely piece and it never has seen a service technician ever (ie 10 years !!!). You can PM me if you have any questions around this TV.
Old 25th June 2021, 10:27   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Bought a Toshiba U7980 65 inch TV in Sep 2020 and I am very very happy with my purchase. Of course I dont know the support story yet and I hope I wont have to in future too.

The TV is a 4K FALD display which supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and HDR+. ....
The Toshiba U79 series is seriously value for money considering the FALD panel. It's out of stock in most places now. Reliance Digital had some stock and I seriously considered this after seeing the reviews on HiFivision, but the Vidaa OS played spoil sport. I needed good Chromecast support to stream from the chrome browser and hence Android TV was a must (wish Chromecast with Google TV was available here).

Hoping even I don't ever need to use support services as Hisense group customer service does not seem to have good reviews.
Old 25th June 2021, 12:03   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I have connected a FireTV 4K stick to this and it works well. Again FireTV has an issue with showing NF in Dolby vision .
What is the issue here? Haven't heard of this issue earlier. Is this issue prevalent only for this model of TV or it applies to all fire tv 4k sticks?
Old 25th June 2021, 12:21   #126
BHPian

I've been using a 43" 4k VU for the last 3 years. I picked it up second hand for 5k. While it does have Android, there is no app store and it has an extremely convoluted UI. I've always used it with a Fire TV Stick.
Picture quality is fine for normal usage - but blacks are grey and some dark scenes have a weird graininess to them. There is also a small dark patch (like a bit of dust) in the left half of the screen.
I'm now replacing it with a 50" Samsung on which I got a terrific deal. I did consider Mi as well - both my parents and in laws have one. But the contrast ratio isn't great and one of their TV's has started developing lines at the top within 3 years.
Old 25th June 2021, 16:34   #127

Quote:
How do you find the TV otherwise? I am quite impressed with the panel and colour reproduction in the standard mode which is the most natural. I found Dolby vision content to have a yellowish tint which I fixed with the calibrated option and now it looks great.
Hi, The TV is pretty good for what it offers, what i found good with this tv is there is no over saturation of colours like some other brands. Like you said the colour temperature seemed to be on the warmer side by default, i increased the B-Gain to 8 units under 2-point White Balance and it solved the problem. The settings that i use is as follows
Contrast- 46
Brightness- 40
Colour- 45
Sharpness-10
Tint- 0
Backlight-40
This gave me the most natural colour so far.
The primary reason why i bought this tv was UHD upscaler and MEMC, i watch a lot of football and sports content so this was a must.
My dad is an AV fanatic and we have had several big brand CRTs from Loewe, Grundig, Philips, Sony trinitron. Amplifiers from Luxman, Marantz, Denon. Speakers from Bose, Marantz, Kef, Accoustic Research etc. But sadly we lost everything ! Yes EVERYTHING during the chennai floods in 2015 november, lost two cars as well . Anyways after that we bought a samsung plasma which we still have & man O man, plasma TVs are something else all together. The led TVs these days just cannot match the clarity, the deep blacks and the smooth motion flow of the plasmas. The real replacement of plasma is actually OLED but they are expensive and the fear of burn in issue makes it risky investment.

Anyways i've decided to keep away the soundbar for now as we will be shifting house in the next few months, will try again later. For now the tv soundbar is fine for us.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th June 2021 at 17:38. Reason: Quotes fixed
Suchu90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 19:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What is the issue here? Haven't heard of this issue earlier. Is this issue prevalent only for this model of TV or it applies to all fire tv 4k sticks?
I am yet to figure out if its FireTV issue or Tohiba TV issue. However Dolby vision works like charm on my TV's native NF app.
Old 13th September 2021, 23:14   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
I am looking to pick up a 43 inch 4K TV for the bedroom for OTT consumption only. Which amongst the frugal/budget TV's are the best? Is 30K a good enough budget?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th September 2021, 06:07   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello,
I am looking to pick up a 43 inch 4K TV for the bedroom for OTT consumption only. Which amongst the frugal/budget TV's are the best? Is 30K a good enough budget? Thanks in advance.
If you can up the budget to 40k and are open to a Samsung, I recommend the Samsung Crystal Pro 4K Smart TV.
Crystal Pro is the budget range of Samsung and mainly targeted at the cost conscious Indian consumer.
During the last Amazon Sale in August, I managed to purchase a 55" Crystal Pro for ₹51,000 approx - this included the roughly 5k in exchange for my old TV and 1k sale discount. Then since I bought it on my Amazon Pay ICICI Card, I also got a cashback of roughly ₹2500+
TV was delivered the next day and installation took another two days.

I have short listed this 43" TV in case I ever manage to get the PS5 in the next flash sale.
Please note - this is an exclusive online purchase TV only (maybe that accounts for the budget friendly price) and will not be available at Samsung outlets or other electronic stores.

Source Samsung 108 cm (43 inches) Crystal 4K Pro Series Ultra HD Smart LED TV

Here is a review by GeekyRanjit about the TV

Last edited by Ithaca : 14th September 2021 at 06:09. Reason: Language, additional information and grammar.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 17:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
If you can up the budget to 40k and are open to a Samsung, I recommend the Samsung Crystal Pro 4K Smart TV.

During the last Amazon Sale in August, I managed to purchase a 55" Crystal Pro for ₹51,000 approx - this included the roughly 5k in exchange for my old TV and 1k sale discount. Then since I bought it on my Amazon Pay ICICI Card, I also got a cashback of roughly ₹2500+
TV was delivered the next day and installation took another two days.
Hi Ithaca,

I'm looking at buying a TV during the current sale, and there are so many options that it is mind-boggling. I am considering the 55" model - it's coming to about 56k, both on Amazon and on the Samsung site. However, there are a few reviews on Amazon complaining about disabled functions / features, and lag.

I have attached screenshots of the Samsung page and the amazon review page.

The Budget / Frugal TV thread-screenshot-20211002-5.22.14-pm.png
The deal price is the same on Samsung site as well as Amazon (cross referenced the model number - UA55AUE70AKLXL)

The Budget / Frugal TV thread-screenshot-20211002-5.37.33-pm.png
One of the reviews in question.

Have you faced any such issue?
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 18:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Hi Ithaca,

I'm looking at buying a TV during the current sale, and there are so many options that it is mind-boggling. I am considering the 55" model - it's coming to about 56k, both on Amazon and on the Samsung site. However, there are a few reviews on Amazon complaining about disabled functions / features, and lag.
Hi Coyote, The 55 Inch Crystal Pro that I picked up is exclusively used only for watching OTT platforms and my laptop is also connected to it via the HDMI port.

It has just been roughly under 2 months with the TV (purchased on 9th Aug 2021) and so far, touch-wood, I have not faced any problems with the TV with regard to issues raised by others in their reviews on Amazon.

When I was looking for a budget TV for myself, I found that this was the best (reasonably priced) TV at that price. This is my secondary TV and used for more than 4-6 hours a day by my brother or me. In case I do come across any issues within the next 2 weeks till the Online Sales are on, I shall definitely tag you and post about it.

Off topic, this gentleman, (YouTuber Udrawat), was another reviewer who tilted my purchase for the TV.
Here he is, providing various exclusives in his video "Amazon Great Indian Sale 2021 & Flipkart Big Billion Days || Complete TV BUYING Guide || Best Deals". Do watch, maybe you may find a better tv and a better deal too.

Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 20:31   #133
BHPian

Sorry for back to back posts.
YouTuber Udrawat did a live stream discussing various budget TVs available during the currently running sales on Flipkart & Amazon.

Last edited by Ithaca : 2nd October 2021 at 20:33.
Old 2nd October 2021, 22:15   #134
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

We have the 43 inch version and there is no such issue at all. We routinely switch between the OTT platforms, Jio TV and my 5 TB hard disk for consuming content and the TV handles it brilliantly.

There can always be lemons/exceptions though. Go ahead with the purchase.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:16   #135
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Hi all.

A budget TV question. [43"-55"]

I'm looking for a budget LED tv for my parents.

They won't be using the internet / streaming app in TV. Just for watching channels through the cable connection at home (HD and SD channels)
Occationally may be some movies on pendrive or casting mobile screen (when I'm available at home).

Currently we have a 10yr old Toshiba 32" which had couple of issues lately and replaced few parts. Working ok now, but we need a change.

They don't need a fancy OLED or anything, also they are not brand conscious. It must be VFM for the intended purpose.

Better service backup in Kerala if something goes wrong, is the main factor to be considered.

Considering Mi, OnePlus, Thomson & Toshiba (even though parents are no keen to own another Toshiba). : 43"-55"

Can anyone share lights in these brands based on usage? Interested to know service backup, TV performance and VFM quotient.
Any other suggestions also welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks