Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 10:03   #721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I am on a lookout for a new Washin Machine. Preferred brand is IFB.

I checked at Chroma and they had some washers + dryer models from LG though on the expensive side.

Are they actually worth going for because Delhi gets good sun most of the times.
We were looking out for washing machine last month & after 10 days of rigourous research, we zeroed in with IFB. However based on our needs, we thought of saving the money & decided to keep with the existing one. (Good for me to save money for my dream car).

So my question to you will be, what are your needs?
1. What's the family size & what's the capacity you're looking for?
2. How many clothes (approx) will you be washing in a day. Eg. 1 shirt is one piece, a bed sheet is considered 3 clothes
3. Are you willing to pre soak the clothes (do some manual work) before using the washing machine or do you expect the machine to do everything?
4. What's the minimum & maximum washing cycle, in minutes, that you're looking for? Say, a cycle is 1 wash, 1 rinse & 1 spin
5. All the more, what's your budget?

Quote:
I still strongly feel that IFB rules in washim machines though when it comes to service LG is the best. Food for thought!
+100. Couldn't agree more.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:11   #722
JVH
Senior - BHPian

What's the best brand for Hob and Chimney? How is Kaff? I'm getting a quote of 26K for 4-burner hob and the chimney. Is it reasonable?

Plz adv. TIA!
Old 20th January 2010, 10:31   #723
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
I still strongly feel that IFB rules in washim machines though when it comes to service LG is the best. Food for thought!
We have been using an IFB machine for the past 13 years. Everything is fine, except when it goes into rinse mode and starts dancing all over the place[Unfortunately IFB does not have a cure to this issue, many people have reported the same issue here]. Sometimes visitors do get a shock on listening to the sound and seeing it dance.

6 months back I brought a LG 6.5 kilos washing machine and very happy with it, super silent I would say. The LG service is super cool.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:31   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
What's the best brand for Hob and Chimney? How is Kaff? I'm getting a quote of 26K for 4-burner hob and the chimney. Is it reasonable?

Plz adv. TIA!
Kaff & Faber are both quite good, and the prices would depend on the type of chimney/hob you're looking for, such as the suction (LPH) of the chimney. I use a Faber 4-burner hob and 1100 LPH chimney with lifetime warranty - bought 2 years ago at a combo offer of @16K.

Check if Kaff offers lifetime warranty.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:32   #725
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Kaff & Faber are both quite good, and the prices would depend on the type of chimney/hob you're looking for, such as the suction (LPH) of the chimney. I use a Faber 4-burner hob and 1100 LPH chimney with lifetime warranty - bought 2 years ago at a combo offer of @16K.

Check if Kaff offers lifetime warranty.
Thanks!

Kaff offers 5 year warranty on Chimney and 1 year on Hob. I just checked Faber website. The Lifetime warranty is on chimney only, right?
Old 20th January 2010, 12:48   #726
Senior - BHPian

Another thing, check the filter. Some have a baffle filter which doesnt need replacement in lifetime. There's some such funda - you may want to check up.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:46   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
We have been using an IFB machine for the past 13 years. Everything is fine, except when it goes into rinse mode and starts dancing all over the place[Unfortunately IFB does not have a cure to this issue, many people have reported the same issue here]. Sometimes visitors do get a shock on listening to the sound and seeing it dance.

6 months back I brought a LG 6.5 kilos washing machine and very happy with it, super silent I would say. The LG service is super cool.
We bought IFB in 1991 when it was just launched along with Intron (which failed miserably). IFB was Quazi-automatic (choose wash cycle, temperature manuallly) whereas Intron was fully automatic, chose everything itself. Thats some history.

Coming back to IFB, our machine danced probably only 1 or twice which I fixed by leveling it properly using a spirit level gauge(I dont think IFB people come equipped with it) and then trying to shake it by hand to see if it will not wobble with cloth weight during wash cycle.

But having heard so many complaints on dancing here itself, I think its because of 2 reasons (after leveling) :

1) Mix of cloth, big, small , shirts trousers etc. If you put for eg. curtains to wash they will huddle up into one large weight ball (once soaked) and push the drum to a side primarily while going into a spin or coming out of it. This could be one reason.

2) There is a small shocker, yes you read it right, a shocker fixed at one end at the bottom of the body and other end to the outer drum. If they have compromised on its quality and strength, its likely unable to control the forces of drum movement which displaces the whole machine. There is another weight on the top of the drum to counter the forces of momentum.

Last edited by dadu : 20th January 2010 at 16:48.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:22   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am on a lookout for a new Washin Machine. Preferred brand is IFB.

Are they actually worth going for because Delhi gets good sun most of the times.
I would say it was, they are still selling based on the brand value built nearly over 2 decades. When launched, Intron also launched a fully automatic machine whereas in comparison IFB was not that automated and lacked features. But people liked that and infact were afraid of fully automatic ones, this is the era where Videocon and National top loaders were rulers of the Top loading ones and no front loaders were available.
Comparison between fully automatic Top Loader Vs Front (my personal opinion, I was waiting for the discussion to start again )

Top Loaders

- Needs more water
- Can use any detergent you want
- Washes better due to ample water for wash and no restriction on stonger detergent.
- Small wash cycle overall
- Good for your back
- Will use less electricity due to smaller wash cycles.
- Flexibility to add/ remove clothes inbetween a cycle.
- You can remove your clothes for manual washing incase of long power blackouts
- Lesser weight, easier to move around and shift.

Front loaders
- Needs lesser water for all cycles.
- Availabilty of heater is a big plus point specially in colder areas.
- Need specific detergents for front loader (low sud), otherwise expect a sud fountain out of the door.
- Washing can be compromised if you overload the machine, due to low levels of water used for wash and movement of clothes gets restricted, it relies on rubbing of clothes(friction) with each other for washing and cleaning.
- Long wash cycles, needs more time for overall washing to complete.
- Most need permanent plumbing and are quite heavy to move.
- It can pump water upto 2-3 ft high for draining
- Costs more to buy, more to maintain.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:46   #729
Senior - BHPian

Recently I got a new LG top loading washing machine WF-T7519JG . Since I was not at home I could not see the demo.

Yesterday read the manual & used the machine for the first time. The washing quality was good.

But the only irritant was the high noise levels during the spinning /drying cycle. The machine was vibrating & the rear panel of the machine seems to vibrating and creating a jarring noise tak tak ….

I felt that the machine was on level ground & load was evenly distributed in the tub. Despite all these I could not reduce the noise level to an acceptable level.

What can be the reason for such vibration & noise. I read in the manual that the machine has some self balance correction features that should have taken care of loading imbalance issues.

Truly I was a bit disappointed with this noise. Will try to call up the service guy to check the floor level with a spirit level hopefully he has one.

Will post an update after service visit.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:16   #730
BHPian

Hand Blenders & Chopper

Does anyone have any feedback on Morphy Richards brand in terms of product quality & service.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:09   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Hand Blenders & Chopper

Does anyone have any feedback on Morphy Richards brand in terms of product quality & service.
Morphy Richards is a good brand I am using a hand blender since last 2 years , actually our cook use to us it more. I has survived all rough handling. Till now now no issues with the product.

You can go ahead with your purchase.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:37   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Morphy Richards is a very old, established brand --- older than I am!

On the whole, though, I prefer not to chop or blend my hands

(Mine's a Braun, by the way)
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:58   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Hand Blenders & Chopper

Morphy Richard is a good brand, We had few appliances at my home which worked troble free for more than 10 years.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:58   #734
BHPian

Choppers and blenders

Can you give me the model numbers of the Braun and Morphy Richards chopper please?

Thanks,
Pallavi
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:08   #735
BANNED

Both Braun & MR are excellent brands. Only if the rumour is to be believed MR is now the old Maharaja. I hope the QC standard of the old MR remains.

Most Viewed