Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 15:18   #5791
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Ah, I think mine might not be that recent either. Which stabiliser did you end up with? What specs to look for?
You'll need one that can handle your appliance's starting current, which can sometimes be as much as 2-3 times higher than rated operating current. Check the user manual or the spec. tag on the equipment for reference values.

E.g. My refrigerator's rated operating current is ~0.8-1A, but the compressor draws upto 3A while starting up. I bought a V-Guard stabilizer based on indicated size (fridge upto 330 Ltrs.), but it was only rated for 2A max current and would clatter horribly during compressor startup. Swapped it out for a 4A rated one on my electrician's advice. All good now.
Old 27th December 2015, 19:09   #5792
Senior - BHPian

Bought the Bosch WAK24168IN on Thursday. Machine was delivered on Christmas day and installed the next. Worked out to just under 30K post discounts. Very happy with the 7KG capacity. The clothes are being tumbled over just like they have to in a front load washing machine.

Not sure how much water consumption has reduced but noise has decreased a lot and so has the vibrations. Will it retain it after 4-5 years, only time will tell.

As with German cars, I think we have to be a lil proactive with the maintenance of the machine. Will be using a stabilizer soon after checking the max current for the machine.

Didn't get a manual along with it but got two warranty cards, one for the machine (2years) and one for the motor (10 years).

Wondering if the 5.5K worth additional 1 year warranty for the machine is worth it.

Thank you to everyone who provided their inputs on this matter. The decision making process was a lot clearer because of that.
Old 27th December 2015, 19:57   #5793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Bought the Bosch WAK24168IN on Thursday. Machine was delivered on Christmas day and installed the next. Worked out to just under 30K post discounts. Very happy with the 7KG capacity. The clothes are being tumbled over just like they have to in a front load washing machine.

Not sure how much water consumption has reduced but noise has decreased a lot and so has the vibrations. Will it retain it after 4-5 years, only time will tell.
I am probably going to buy the WAK20260IN. More buttons to play with! Did some casual shopping, looking around just one of Chennai's big electrical stores (the "unlimited" one ) and can get for about 31K with "exchange" offer.

Quote:
Didn't get a manual along with it but got two warranty cards, one for the machine (2years) and one for the motor (10 years).
Ask for one! The shop display unit had one inside the drum.

In the meantime, the Bosch manuals are available on their site. I always prefer to read the manual, rather than the advertising.

Quote:
Wondering if the 5.5K worth additional 1 year warranty for the machine is worth it.
I don't think so. I don't think that anything should really go wrong with these machines in a couple of years: my UK-bought Bosch lasted a long time with no fault at all, and would probably still be going if a rat hadn't committed suicide on the control board. Which is the thing: the electronic spares are expensive. Perhaps we should both google the cost of a main control board before deciding on additional warranty!

I was told the offer I was given was good up to Jan 5.

PS... Do you. or will you, use a stabiliser with your washing machine? I have been doing, but it dates back to a time when there were huge swings in the voltage here, which is not really the case now.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th December 2015 at 19:59.
Old 27th December 2015, 20:53   #5794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
PS... Do you. or will you, use a stabiliser with your washing machine? I have been doing, but it dates back to a time when there were huge swings in the voltage here, which is not really the case now.
After the rains of Dec 2, and when power was restored after the 5th, there were wild fluctuations every 30 seconds or so. This continued for 2-3 days. I saw the voltage jump from 170v to 280v. Those few days I was running on inverter and occasionally switching to mains when AC was needed or inverter needed charging. It was a 30 min or so fix for the EB guys and they came only after my wife went and complained there. They did something on the transformer. Sadly no one cares for us common folks in this country...
Old 27th December 2015, 22:50   #5795
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a compact oven and compactness is very important. It would be used by my wife at her shop, which means running about 2-3 times a day mainly for heating pre-cooked meals.

Is oven even the right word or am I looking for a microwave? I checked a lot of items online but not sure whether 17-20L is a compact enough size, any pointers?
Old 28th December 2015, 07:01   #5796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am probably going to buy the WAK20260IN. More buttons to play with! Did some casual shopping, looking around just one of Chennai's big electrical stores (the "unlimited" one ) and can get for about 31K with "exchange" offer.
Great! Do check out S.S.Annamalais as well. They don't have a fancy store but maybe it helps them quote a competitive price as well due to that. It is near the Jayanthi theater signal.

Quote:
Ask for one! The shop display unit had one inside the drum.
In the meantime, the Bosch manuals are available on their site. I always prefer to read the manual, rather than the advertising.

I shall call the guy who came for installation and check on that but like you said the manual is available online. So not a big issue.

Quote:
Which is the thing: the electronic spares are expensive. Perhaps we should both google the cost of a main control board before deciding on additional warranty!

I was told the offer I was given was good up to Jan 5.

I will be getting a stabilizer. My area is prone to frequent issues with electricity and some times a couple of phases don't work. So better safe than sorry.

I'll check with the guy who came for installation about the main control board cost and if it is covered under warranty (no questions asked) and maybe decide on the third year warranty.
Old 28th December 2015, 09:34   #5797
BHPian

Our 17 year old microwave is giving some problem. We popped a popcorn packet last night and in between the second one it switched off. The unit was pretty hot to touch on the outside and failed to power on again. It worked again about 30 mins later, I suppose when it cooled off.
I am concerned about this body getting hot and want to know if this is normal? Ours is a BPL Sanyo model and is pretty large.
Old 28th December 2015, 10:35   #5798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Our 17 year old microwave is giving some problem. We popped a popcorn packet last night and in between the second one it switched off. The unit was pretty hot to touch on the outside and failed to power on again. It worked again about 30 mins later, I suppose when it cooled off.
I am concerned about this body getting hot and want to know if this is normal? Ours is a BPL Sanyo model and is pretty large.
1. Is the turn table working ?
2. Do you see the suction fan (behind) working ?

Hope you have not covered the microwave with something.
Old 28th December 2015, 10:55   #5799
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Is the turn table working ?
2. Do you see the suction fan (behind) working ?
Hope you have not covered the microwave with something.
thanks for the reply. Yes the turn table is working. Did not notice the suction fan, will check it out. The unit is not covered but it is flush against the wall due to lack of space and its girth!
Just checked and there is air throw/flow behind the microwave where there seems to be a vent of some sort.

Last edited by diyguy : 28th December 2015 at 11:01.
Old 28th December 2015, 11:31   #5800
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what’s the scene like with microwave ovens nowadays? Wife was insisting on buying one and I think the new year might have some decent offers. I have a budget of 7k, give or take 500 Rs. What are some good recommendations for this budget? Online links have both good and bad reviews for the same unit so I am a bit confused. Would love to shortlist and buy one online instead of going to a b&m store. Usage would be limited to warming foods and baking - no hard core stuff. We have a 12 year old Samsung one at home which does the basic duty of warming cold foods and the occasional caramel custard that I used to prepare. No issues with it so far.

I am guessing we'll also need a voltage stabiliser for the oven? Input voltage is almost always around the 245 V mark.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:57   #5801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the reply. Yes the turn table is working. Did not notice the suction fan, will check it out. The unit is not covered but it is flush against the wall due to lack of space and its girth!
Just checked and there is air throw/flow behind the microwave where there seems to be a vent of some sort.
Malfunctioning thermostat seems to the be the culprit here.

If possible, share the pics of microwave (inside and outside) else take service support.
Old 28th December 2015, 23:48   #5802
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Malfunctioning thermostat seems to the be the culprit here.If possible, share the pics of microwave (inside and outside) else take service support.
How do I confirm if it is the thermostat? Not sure if these are the pics you suggested? Should I open it up?
The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451326721.312848.jpgThe Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451326731.146188.jpg
Old 28th December 2015, 23:53   #5803
Distinguished - BHPian

Our microwave is dead. It's a not very old LG, and it did not get wet in the flood.

We will call LG service, but I'm guessing that a new one is likely to be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm looking for a compact oven and compactness is very important. It would be used by my wife at her shop, which means running about 2-3 times a day mainly for heating pre-cooked meals.

Is oven even the right word or am I looking for a microwave? I checked a lot of items online but not sure whether 17-20L is a compact enough size, any pointers?
I don't think you will get more compact than that. It is really small. Visit a store and check it out.

Thing is, I have had microwaves with grill, convection, blah and super-blah for decades, and never used any of it. So I really think I'll get one of those little compact, microwave-only, low-cost devices, this time!
Old 28th December 2015, 23:56   #5804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I really think I'll get one of those little compact, microwave-only, low-cost devices, this time!
Please let us know if you buy a new one. I'm too looking at a microwave only model, nothing else as we don't use any other feature.
Old 29th December 2015, 12:26   #5805
BHPian

Quote:
How do I confirm if it is the thermostat? Not sure if these are the pics you suggested? Should I open it up?
Your microwave oven uses electronics control panel which means it uses an electronic component to sense the temperature and 'thermostat' is not the culprit here.
Simple technique to diagnose a faulty microwave oven is keep a glass bowl with about a glass of water (250 ml or thereabout) inside and turn on the oven with full power mode. Wait for a couple of minutes and it should be hot.

If it is hot your Magnetron - the heart of your microwave is good. If it overheats as it appears to do in your case, your glass of water may not be hot enough which may indicate a failing transformer. Before it dies, switch off and call a qualified service technician. It could save you a lot of money.

Usually a thermal fuse protects the high voltage transformer before it causes damage to components downstream. But if the oven had seen 'service' before, local 'technicians' short out the thermal fuse and invariably it results in damage to magetron and the HV diode.
Typically a magnetron costs about Rs.2000/-

@fine69: Go to BigBazaar or Ezone and they have a Koryo microwave oven (only microwave) for about Rs.4500/- (20 liter capacity - plenty for a small family). It comes with an old fashioned mechanical timer.

Last edited by Prowler : 29th December 2015 at 12:31. Reason: Added more information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks