Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 03:19   #5641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
The gas guy came and said filling gas will not help - he said the compressor has burnt off. It cuts off before it reaches the lower temperature it's supposed to reach
Surely if it cools at all, it can't be burnt out?. Did any body check the thermostat and the sensor?

Otherwise, it looks like you are in the same situation as me: better to put the money towards a new fridge.
Old 26th October 2015, 06:15   #5642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Looks like the Finish Dishwasher product website is gone?!
http://www.buyfinishonline.com/

Amazon seems to have their products which is goof though.
Can someone tell me what the difference between these two Finish Rinse Aids is?
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00VHP1ACY/
and
http://www.amazon.in/Finish-Shine-Dr...dp/B00HJ2FOU8/
I usually buy the Quantum Max powerballs which are all in one. Comes to around 45 bucks each and have found them good enough for our utensils.

This is the one I pick up usually:http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B016...ilpage_o04_s00

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2015 at 07:46. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 26th October 2015, 08:27   #5643
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Surely if it cools at all, it can't be burnt out?. Did any body check the thermostat and the sensor?
I think I didn't write his exact words. He said that it's overheated and hence is cutting off earlier than required.
Old 26th October 2015, 11:51   #5644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think I didn't write his exact words. He said that it's overheated and hence is cutting off earlier than required.
Here is a check list
. When the compressor is on, open the freezer door and listen for the "Hiss". That is the gas expanding in the freezer chamber. The hiss should be audible as the fridge is cooling. If it is steady, then the compressor is fine, if it is jerky and intermittent, then some moisture in the gas is freezing and clogging the narrow capillary. If so, it is best to a) replace the "drying bottle", b) Either dry the gas by flushing it trough and external dryer, of drain the old gas and fill new gas.

. If freezing is fine, but the compressor cuts off before time, the
- The thermostat may be defective. Try putting it in max cooling position and see if it cools more. If so, then the settings have changed. The thermostat may have to be re-calibrated or change.
- The thermostat is fine. Then the overload relay may have gone weak. Check if the relay is mounted on the outside of the compressor, in which case it may be replaced easily. If you cannot find the relay, then it is inside the compressor, and you have to change the compressor.

. Check if the compressor gets abnormally hot.

. Check if the cooling coil on the outside of the refrigerator is clean and free of dust/lint etc. Just cleaning it will increase the efficiency a lot, and may solve your problem.

Otherwise; in my experience; it is better to replace an old refrigerator rather than spend money on repairs. Just like old cars, old refrigerators can become a money sink once you start repairing them - compressor, thermostat, MB, door sill and many other things will start acting up.
Old 26th October 2015, 12:08   #5645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I think the Finish tablets are grossly overpriced here on sites like Amazon. In Australia the All-in-ones used to cost less than 20 cents each (Rs. 10/-). Here it is close to Rs. 40/tablet.
http://www.amazon.in/Finish-All-One-.../dp/B008BFJN72

Here is a popular Aussie store that sells it for less than Rs. 10 a tablet.
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/finis...x108-pack.html

Equally cheap in the USA:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLI2C3A

Australia imports the tablets from Europe (same as India).

I guess thats the advantage of having demand and competition. Dishwasher products are very low demand products in India and hence cost is relatively high. Even locally manufactured fortune dishwasher tablets are relatively expensive (Rs. 12-15) even though their quality is inferior to Finish tablets.
Old 26th October 2015, 13:18   #5646
Distinguished - BHPian

Fully agree on all points. However personally I feel it's a meaningless sum to ponder about especially when the wash quality is impeccable with the Quantum Max ones.

I detest fiddling about with detergent, salt and rinse aid etc. So 40/45 bucks is great for us as we run a daily evening load. Note we have no maid :-)
Old 28th October 2015, 16:08   #5647
BHPian

I am looking for a chimney + hob for my new apartment . Almost decided on KAFF.

Has anyone bought KAFF online, there are some good offers on snapdeal. If bought online, would there be any issues with installation and warranty?
Old 28th October 2015, 17:53   #5648
BANNED

@kap04; I have had two Faber chimneys. Installation is pretty standard. Just remember to open the housing from the bottom to get access to the rear.
Old 29th October 2015, 13:03   #5649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Planning to get this front loading washing machine from LG with their new "Direct Drive" technology

Anyone using this washing machine? Also, which online website is best as I might get this washing machine for around 21K from a Reliance Store here.
Bought this 6kg fully automatic LG washing machine from Bajaj Electronics for 24K and got a tax invoice of 28K

I didn't ask them. He offered and I took it as this invoice benefits me in some way

Other than that, they are giving 1K worth of free gifts ( some containers etc)

Hoping to have a good experience with this product
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-wm.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2015, 11:23   #5650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The Sharp one at over 10k is definitely pricey for just an ion generator. The Eureka Forbes one, from a very cursory perspective, seems to do more for Rs. 3,990.
I am looking for a home air purifier, to be used in Bedroom. Is anyone using them and please let me know your feedback and available options in the market.
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:46   #5651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am looking for a home air purifier, to be used in Bedroom.

I purchased one about three years ago as my wife is asthmatic. However we did not realize any major benefit by using it. However, recently I was suffering from cough at nights and I kept this near me and it helped me sleep better. Again we used it for a few days and stopped. My wife's condition has improved basically with an improved regimen of mattress vacuuming and steaming fabric upholstered furniture. It has not been due to the air purifier. I purchased the Eureka Forbes one which was I think about 10k at that time.
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:59   #5652
BHPian

The Kent RO is for sale on Flipkart for 9999.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1446449399548.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2015, 16:14   #5653
BHPian

Hi guys, planning to buy two new heavyweight appliances this Diwali and wanted some ideas on this:

1. Washing machine - LG has these 8/4kgs, 6/3kgs, 9/6kgs washer dryers. They supposedly do a better job at drying than other washing machines. And they cost a lot more as well. Just wanted to ask if any of you guys have used these machines and whether the extra cost is worth it. Also Bosch seems to have some machines with a new "monsoon" setting, which seems to get clothes dryer than what normal machines do. Anyone have any idea on this as well?

We have been using an LG for the last 7-8 years and are quite happy with the overall service experience.

2. Also looking to buy a dishwasher to make things easier at home. I saw a few models from IFB, Bosch and Siemens. Which out of these would you guys suggest. I thought Siemens would be the best of the lot, but just wanted to reconfirm.
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:32   #5654
Senior - BHPian

We have this model for two years now and pleased with it but I remember having to mop the floor twice as it overflowed. On two separate occasions, months apart. Must be a problem with my machine in particular. But it got sorted on its own, I think.
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:10   #5655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am looking for a home air purifier, to be used in Bedroom. Is anyone using them and please let me know your feedback and available options in the market.
The post of mine you mentioned was with reference to car purifiers, not home/room. For home/room I recommend Sharp. I use the FU-A80E model in two bedrooms and I can honestly say they make a difference. You could also try the FU-Z31E for a smaller area. It also costs less:
https://www.sharpproducts.in/pdf/ran...ember_2015.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I purchased one about three years ago as my wife is asthmatic. However we did not realize any major benefit by using it. However, recently I was suffering from cough at nights and I kept this near me and it helped me sleep better. Again we used it for a few days and stopped. My wife's condition has improved basically with an improved regimen of mattress vacuuming and steaming fabric upholstered furniture. It has not been due to the air purifier. I purchased the Eureka Forbes one which was I think about 10k at that time.
In my research, i found Eureka Forbes wasn't the best brand. They don't even tell you what class of HEPA filter the machine has. Good machines do make a difference.

Last edited by StarScream : 2nd November 2015 at 18:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks