Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2015, 15:14   #5671
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
We've used 'PullnDry' - bulky contraption. You can google it.
Thanks for this. I googled it and see prices from 2000 to 4000. May be cheaper instore and will check a few this weekend.
Quote:
That may be so, but I love golden buttered toast - no other way to do it but put butter on the bread before toasting.
Actually I had this same query as we have a popup toaster that is dirty inside and there is no easy way to clean it. It was lying unused and has the usual cobwebs etc in there and was wondering if some spray can be used without damaging any of the electricals... Mine is dirty and not greasy though.

Last edited by diyguy : 5th November 2015 at 15:17.
Old 5th November 2015, 17:36   #5672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That may be so, but I love golden buttered toast - no other way to do it but put butter on the bread before toasting. I could use the grill on my MW but that expends too much energy (mine, turning it over and the MW which is so large).
I was joking! Never dreamt that you actually did butter the bread before toasting. No, they are not designed for this. On the other hand, toasted-sandwhich makes are meant to be used that way.

Take toast from toaster, butter immediately, is what most people do, even if the bread is toasted under a grill. Actually, for the vast majority of my life in UK, I never had a separate toaster, only a grill.

Because the device is not normally used that way, there is no provision for cleaning up the result. Toasters have provision only for removing the bread crumbs.

But it remains a fact that you like the toast made this way. Fair enough: but the price to pay will be shorter toaster life.
Old 5th November 2015, 19:34   #5673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was joking! Never dreamt that you actually did butter the bread before toasting. No, they are not designed for this. On the other hand, toasted-sandwhich makes are meant to be used that way.
I too like it that way, but the hassle of having to clean it or get a new one made me stick to just toasting it and then applying the butter when warm.
Old 6th November 2015, 10:36   #5674
BHPian

Quote:
I was joking!...

Because the device is not normally used that way, there is no provision for cleaning up the result. Toasters have provision only for removing the bread crumbs.

But it remains a fact that you like the toast made this way. Fair enough: but the price to pay will be shorter toaster life.
I'm sure at least 50% of people who love toast would like to do it my way, just because the designers / marketing people thought that'd end up more complicated and pricier doesn't mean I want to oblige them. (end rant )

Actually other than grease accumulation, there has been no problem. There is no removable crumb tray on this one, but I was able to clean it quite well. All they should've done is make the heat shields and the bread holder removable - not that big a deal. The quartz tube heaters are clean (I guess they just burn off any grease that falls on them).

Shorter toaster life? I'm not so sure, unless you mean a I'd have to throw away the toaster every-time it got a little greasy.

You know those self-cleaning ovens? All they do is burn away every bit of crud deposited inside by burning them into ash and CO2, when on the self clean cycle, which is basically the oven at a very high temperature.

About the solvent: I think, I'll have to find some bio-cleaner - bacteria that'll eat away the grease and nothing else. They do exist, but I don't know how to source them (retail quantity and cheap).
Old 6th November 2015, 10:44   #5675
BANNED

Isn't there a risk of something catching fire if the toaster gets greasy?
Old 6th November 2015, 11:58   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Isn't there a risk of something catching fire if the toaster gets greasy?
Has NEVER happened to me! Most likely because the grease does not accumulate in places where it gets too hot. The grease that falls on the quartz tube vaporizes before it actually burns (or does it burn away with an invisible flame?). But then, I don't apply so much butter that it runs or splatters all over in a big way.
Or is it the GOOD DESIGN of my toaster?
Old 6th November 2015, 13:01   #5677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That may be so, but I love golden buttered toast - no other way to do it but put butter on the bread before toasting. I could use the grill on my MW but that expends too much energy (mine, turning it over and the MW which is so large).
Instead of using a normal toaster and spreading butter all over, try OTG which has a heating element at the top. We used that for making cheese open sandwiches and grills.
Old 6th November 2015, 14:08   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Instead of using a normal toaster and spreading butter all over, try OTG which has a heating element at the top. We used that for making cheese open sandwiches and grills.
Thanks Aroy. I think it is overkill for buttered toast!

My microwave has the same function, but it takes longer, plus, for toast, you've to turn it around. Not only that, heating up the bigger cavity takes longer than a toaster and wastes more energy. [Or to put it another way: I'm pretty stubborn - the toaster must do it, nothing else will do]
Old 6th November 2015, 15:19   #5679
BHPian

I want this: Tempus Toaster (unfortunately only a concept )
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-tempustoasterfull_assembly_render_14.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-tempusfull_assembly_render_3.jpg  

Old 6th November 2015, 15:26   #5680
Senior - BHPian

Even here the butter (or cheese) will drip down, waste of specious resources. An OTG is a more efficient. First toast one side, then butter the other side and toast from the top.
Old 6th November 2015, 16:17   #5681
BHPian

Quote:
I want this: Tempus Toaster (unfortunately only a concept )

Getting into this conversation late but what's wrong with a grill? Don't like the bread to be pressed?
Eg http://www.amazon.in/Cello-Sandwich-...5-efc3875c1624
Old 7th November 2015, 19:45   #5682
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the end of my Spice Grinder story...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
All right. Take the road 2nd avenue which takes you to the Indira nagar water tank and from the water tank take a left and go straight. You will reach corporation shopping complex on the right. Next to the shopping complex you will find a battery shop. Just next to the battery shop is an auto electrician. He will do the job at reasonable rates.
I think we found this guy today, but he was unable to help. He sent us to a mixie repair shop in Indira Nagar, run by a guy who spoke good English. He said, it can't be repaired.

I'll order another one from Amazon.uk, and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 7th November 2015, 23:24   #5683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Even here the butter (or cheese) will drip down, waste of specious resources. An OTG is a more efficient. First toast one side, then butter the other side and toast from the top.
All true, BUT, I'm looking for an improved toaster - the only change I want made to my current toaster is that it should be easy to clean grease off it.
[Not much butter drips.] And waiting to turn it over? I'll have to watch it brown for twice as long. [ As I remarked earlier, I'm pretty pig headed about this ]

Cheese toast is another matter altogether - in this case I use the grill function on my microwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Getting into geth this conversation late but what's wrong with a grill? Don't like the bread to be pressed?
Eg http://www.amazon.in/Cello-Sandwich-...5-efc3875c1624
Nothing wrong except my obstinate "I want a toaster" attitude - I'm not giving up my "better butter toaster" quest.

Quote:
Looks like the end of my Spice Grinder story...

I think we found this guy today, but he was unable to help. He sent us to a mixie repair shop in Indira Nagar, run by a guy who spoke good English. He said, it can't be repaired.

I'll order another one from Amazon.uk, and keep my fingers crossed.
I have so many of those, "just a little fix and it'll be as good as new" things lying around. Seems no one wants to take the time to fix things anymore; worse things are designed so that they are un-repairable! I'm sure you'll be very careful with the new one!

Last edited by mvadg : 7th November 2015 at 23:25.
Old 8th November 2015, 10:31   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have so many of those, "just a little fix and it'll be as good as new" things lying around. Seems no one wants to take the time to fix things anymore; worse things are designed so that they are un-repairable! I'm sure you'll be very careful with the new one!
We are slowly entering the "Disposable" age. With increasing labour rates, it is becoming difficult to justify high cost of repairs vis-a-vis new purchase. The manufacturers are also helping us by designing appliances which are less expensive to manufacture but difficult to repair. Such is life.
Old 8th November 2015, 21:00   #5685
Distinguished - BHPian

mvadg, I wish I could thank posts in this thread: I love that you are "pig headed" in insisting on getting results from your toaster that you want, whether it is right use or not.

Wishing you many happy rounds of buttered toast --- made for you, just the way you like it

Yes, I'll be much more careful with my new grinder, when I get one. The dead one was only a few weeks old. I am now fed up with crushing a pinch of mustard seeds in a mortar. I want them powdered in a second, like that grinder did. and I'm pig-headed enough to spend another 2.5K or more getting this exact same grinder again.

Let's celebrate our stubbornness!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks