Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 10:13   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I am looking out for a fruit and vegetable juicer. I currently use the preethi blue leaf extractor jar. The process is longish to have a clear juice.

I came to know about philips 1832 juicer.

1. Is this good enough and anyone using it?
2. Is this a slow juicer or centrifugal? How effective is this?
3. It costs about 5500/- at Amazon and 6500/- ay croma

Please share your thoughts or kindly recommend any other good juicers you have been using.
I have a Hurom slow juicer bought over a year ago from Amazon. Consumes less electricity, less noise and retains all the essential nutrients from the fruit/ vegetables being juiced since it does not have a high speed motor. The juicer is pricey though. Set me back by 20k.

For your query, you can go with Philips/ Panasonic if it is occasional juicing..
Old 25th July 2017, 13:53   #6422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have a Hurom slow juicer bought over a year ago from Amazon. Consumes less electricity, less noise and retains all the essential nutrients from the fruit/ vegetables being juiced since it does not have a high speed motor. The juicer is pricey though. Set me back by 20k.

For your query, you can go with Philips/ Panasonic if it is occasional juicing..
Thank you hrman. I was looking at slow juicer models such as yours, Usha and kitchenaid. But we may not use the appliance that optimally. Wife has bought a Croma juicer which is cost effective yet seems to do the job neatly. Comes with a 4yr replacement warranty.
Old 29th July 2017, 12:18   #6423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I am looking out for a fruit and vegetable juicer. I currently use the preethi blue leaf extractor jar. The process is longish to have a clear juice.

I came to know about philips 1832 juicer.

1. Is this good enough and anyone using it?
2. Is this a slow juicer or centrifugal? How effective is this?
3. It costs about 5500/- at Amazon and 6500/- ay croma

Please share your thoughts or kindly recommend any other good juicers you have been using.
My research into juicers is that you need three types

. For tomato - Centrifugal
. For Oranges and other citrus fruit an old style juicer where there is a central large diameter piece over which you hold the orange halves
. For rest a masticating juicer

Most of the juicers available for a reasonable price are either of the three types. Here is one
https://www.norwalkjuicers.com/juicer-store

Here are some reviews
http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/...-a6818796.html
Old 30th July 2017, 11:30   #6424
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendation for dry iron brands? Crompton, Orient, skyline or Bajaj?

I am looking for a 1000 watts dry iron.
Old 30th July 2017, 13:08   #6425
BHPian

Need advice on a bathroom geyser for kids room. i was wanting something a bit fancy with timer and temperature control maybe via remote. I see one such model in Ao Smith. I am a fan of Racold as we had them for 30+ years. I currently have 2 25L Bajaj geysers and since my kids tend to forget to switch off, was wanting a timer one.
On a separate note I found wifi switches for geysers and motor pumps. Is that a good option for better control on electricity?
Old 30th July 2017, 14:20   #6426
Distinguished - BHPian

It sound too me like a good option for pleasure-of-ownership gadgetry!

My answer to never having to remember to turn off a geyser, with gadget-ownership pleasure included, is... Solar
Old 30th July 2017, 14:45   #6427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any recommendation for dry iron brands? Crompton, Orient, skyline or Bajaj? I am looking for a 1000 watts dry iron.
Although your list omits the brand, my recommendation for a simple, lightweight, no nonsense and economical dry iron would be Philips HD1134. It is a slightly older model operating at 750 watts and hence may not be available in your neighborhood shops. But Flipkart and Amazon do stock it. It is one gem of an appliance that can take care of all your daily ironing needs.
Old 31st July 2017, 10:05   #6428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Need advice on a bathroom geyser for kids room. i was wanting something a bit fancy with timer and temperature control maybe via remote. I see one such model in Ao Smith. ...
On a separate note I found wifi switches for geysers and motor pumps. Is that a good option for better control on electricity?
Most of the Wifi Switches I have seen - have a 10 A or 2200 W maximum capacity limitation. Check your geyser if it consumes less than this and you can use them.

But there is a small issue. Xiaomi wifi Switch calls its home in China for syncing with your mobile app. Not a bright idea to let someone know your bathing pattern.

There are other Wifi Switches which allow you to set the timing etc from their interface and hence have no need for any external server.
Old 31st July 2017, 10:15   #6429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My answer to never having to remember to turn off a geyser, with gadget-ownership pleasure included, is... Solar
if at all I do get to building my home, this is a certainty, till then I will have to make do with a simple Geyser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There are other Wifi Switches which allow you to set the timing etc from their interface and hence have no need for any external server.
I saw one from Smarteefi though I may make one DIY using PI eventually, it helps that my nephew is now a PI dealer as well . Our motor switches are at the outside of our house and instead of wiring them inside, may work out the same price wise, to wifi enable it.

I am facing an issue with my Samsung dishwasher after a move of home. It was running well for the past 4.5 years and we run at least two cycles a day. We moved home recently and it was lying unused for about 15 days till I could get a plumber to hook it up. Post this, the wash cycle gets stuck after a certain point. We have 5 cycles - 2:40, 2:30, 2:55, 0:35 & 0:08 hrs:mins. Each of these progresses between 8-25 minutes or so and gets stuck while the 8min one is the only one that completes. I called the Samsung technician and he tried to figure it out and spent about an hour at home yesterday. He cleaned the inlet filter and checked the heating element. All were fine. He seems to have no clue what is wrong and finally said it could be the circulation motor and will need to take the machine and go. Cost may be 4000rs he said. I am not convinced that this is the issue and seeing him floundering didn't help his cause.
My wife said when installing newly first time during our purchase there was a similar issue and they adjusted the pipes or something that allowed it to move forward.

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th August 2017 at 08:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 31st July 2017, 17:52   #6430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am facing an issue with my Samsung dishwasher after a move of home. It was running well for the past 4.5 years and we run at least two cycles a day. We moved home recently and it was lying unused for about 15 days till I could get a plumber to hook it up. Post this, the wash cycle gets stuck after a certain point. We have 5 cycles - 2:40, 2:30, 2:55, 0:35 & 0:08 hrs:mins. Each of these progresses between 8-25 minutes or so and gets stuck while the 8min one is the only one that completes. I called the Samsung technician and he tried to figure it out and spent about an hour at home yesterday. He cleaned the inlet filter and checked the heating element. All were fine. He seems to have no clue what is wrong and finally said it could be the circulation motor and will need to take the machine and go. Cost may be 4000rs he said. I am not convinced that this is the issue and seeing him floundering didn't help his cause.
My wife said when installing newly first time during our purchase there was a similar issue and they adjusted the pipes or something that allowed it to move forward.

Any idea on what could be wrong?
If your old location had a head of two stories or more above and the new one one story only, it may be low pressure.

Check the water pressure at the inlet. WM and DW need a certain amount of pressure to function properly. With lower pressure the water may take time to fill and that will cause a time out.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:20   #6431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Check the water pressure at the inlet. WM and DW need a certain amount of pressure to function properly. With lower pressure the water may take time to fill and that will cause a time out.
thank you for the reply. The water line is from a T of the kitchen sink and it is not super fast but seems sufficient. Maybe I should change the location and try as I have an independent water inlet that I could maybe use.
The overhead tank is a bit lower here on the second storey while the previous one was like the fourth. There is a lot of water coming in and going out when the machine gets stuck and there is no error code that I get either. That is more puzzling. I will leave it on all night tonight to see if it indicates some error.
Old 4th August 2017, 07:54   #6432
BANNED

Are there PNG gas stoves available in the market? The last time I was look for it, all stoves were LPG only & they used to come & change the hole dimensions to make it work on PNG.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:34   #6433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there PNG gas stoves available in the market? The last time I was look for it, all stoves were LPG only & they used to come & change the hole dimensions to make it work on PNG.
Any reason why you are specifically looking for PNG stoves? I found buying LPG stove and getting it converted to PNG quite convenient.
Old 4th August 2017, 16:17   #6434
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Any reason why you are specifically looking for PNG stoves? I found buying LPG stove and getting it converted to PNG quite convenient.
Why do an extra step?

Also, I think there are enough PNG connections in Bombay for manufacturers to have a preconfigured PNG Gas stove.

Last edited by carboy : 4th August 2017 at 16:32.
Old 4th August 2017, 16:56   #6435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why do an extra step?

Also, I think there are enough PNG connections in Bombay for manufacturers to have a preconfigured PNG Gas stove.
True that. But when comparing overall Indian market, PNG households are a very small fraction. I guess that is the reason manufacturers are focused on LPG stoves. I could see sporadic search results for PNG stoves but nothing too confidence inspiring.

Though I admit that the retrofit is far from ideal solution since there is hit and miss in terms of flame regulation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks