Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2017, 04:16   #6496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

It's one of them there international sockets.

It will take a British/Singapore-flat-blade plug. Actually 13 amps --- but it is the plug in UK, and copes with 2kw or even 3kw devices. And it is fused.
Old 19th October 2017, 09:28   #6497
Senior - BHPian

The drain motor of my IFB front loading washing machine was replaced by LG for Rs. 7250. When I checked online, the price is around Rs. 1500. Was I taken for a ride by the LG business partner?

I called the LG customer service, but no support by them saying they are not aware of the price of parts. How to take it forward? Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 08:12   #6498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It will take a British/Singapore-flat-blade plug. Actually 13 amps --- but it is the plug in UK, and copes with 2kw or even 3kw devices.
Thanks Thad, the geometry of the Indian Type D and the UK 13A is slightly off by a few mm. However I believe it will fit in the international socket due to its design. Back to aliexpress!
Old 20th October 2017, 08:54   #6499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The drain motor of my IFB front loading washing machine was replaced by LG for Rs. 7250. When I checked online, the price is around Rs. 1500. Was I taken for a ride by the LG business partner?

I called the LG customer service, but no support by them saying they are not aware of the price of parts. How to take it forward? Thanks
Any reason you went to LG for servicing your IFB washing machine - are they partners? You can go to the consumer forum if the charges are way too high for the work done.

Friendly neighbourhood service engineers are far better when it comes to post-warranty servicing, IMO. One could also try services such as UrbanClap or Housejoy.

Case in point: My Samsung 32" LED TV's display went blank. Samsung's service engineer gave me a written quote of Rs. 16000 (current price of TV - Rs. 19000) and offered to do it at 8500 separately. I got it done by a service engineer known to me for around Rs. 4500. Been working fine for 6 mo now.
Old 20th October 2017, 16:03   #6500
Distinguished - BHPian

The small Indian 3-pin plug does fit those international sockets, which also take 2-pin and American. It is our larger, 16-amp plug that does not. If 6 amps is enough...

A lot of my electrical stuff is British, so I have quite a few international sockets. Even though they are MK, I am disappointed with their quality and performance. Use round pins a few times, and they will no longer contact/grip flat pins. But the same is true of the SNG$2 adapters I got from Singapore. I quite often take this stuff apart and do some plier work to suit the plug I intend to use. And then, after some time, the contacts break
Old 20th October 2017, 19:03   #6501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Any reason you went to LG for servicing your IFB washing machine - are they partners? You can go to the consumer forum if the charges are way too high for the work done.
The lesson learnt - The fool and his money are easily parted.

The IFB helpline number I had was not working. I was of the impression that LG does servicing of IFB now. So I googled and got another number, where they registered the complaint and I got the complaint number by sms as usual. I was of the impression that it is the official call centre. The technician who came, LG repair guy as per tru caller and I thought they are business partner for IFB too, replaced the drain motor (which was not required as we find later that the leak was from the inlet tap. Charged Rs. 7250 which is very high). I was not at home when they came and replaced it. The bill was issued in the name of Experia Service Centre. I started investigating when the leak occured again and found water flowing from inlet pipe. I should have checked thoroughly before.

I called the guy again and he is bluffing saying the price is high as the machine model is old, they do not give original IFB bill as there are fake bills in circulation etc. I found the scam when I called IFB and LG helplines, number from websites, with the complaint number. There is no complaint registered in both places. Inspection of the message also shows minor formatting mistakes, missed it earlier. The number I had called earlier is not working now and I find similar scams online. If I had used the IFB official helpline number, there would have been some accountability and transperancy from the service guy. I trust others easily and my wife keeps warning me. Time to change in these times.

Similar complaint: https://www.consumercomplaints.in/re...entre-c1535152

Last edited by PatienceWins : 20th October 2017 at 19:24.
Old 8th November 2017, 18:48   #6502
BANNED

Re: Hair trimmer/clipper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Go for Philips grooming kit which take care of beard/nose and ear hairs/trimming etc. Sometimes i use it for hair cutting for my kid who creates scene whenever i take him to saloon

I guess model is QG3030 and cost around 1.5 to 2K
Check following link
http://www.philips.co.in/c/grooming-kit/17903/cat/
I have never used these before. Actually, I have very rarely even used an electric shaver. How well do these trimmers work for ear hair? Ear seems to be a somewhat sensitive area - so I am wondering if there is a chance of cuts with trimmers. Also is it difficult to do your own ears while looking into a mirror?

Also the above model seems to be out of stock everywhere - any other recos?
Old 8th November 2017, 19:38   #6503
Senior - BHPian

Have anybody installed smart locks in your homes? I am looking for one which provides me :
1. keyless entry with biometric/passcode (both if possible)
2. Manual override key (incase of dead battery/if giving for relatives)
3. Anti theft alarm
4. Unlocking door through mobile (if available)

I am not sure which one to go for. Was looking at the below ones :

https://www.amazon.in/Yale-Digital-D...233FFJRMC1JC3D

https://www.amazon.in/Yale-Biometric...VS0CJ9WA3DZAD5

https://www.amazon.in/Biometric-Fing...33FFJRMC1JC3D#

https://www.amazon.in/ADEL-DIGITAL-D...233FFJRMC1JC3D

Please suggest.
Old 8th November 2017, 22:08   #6504
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hair trimmer/clipper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have never used these before. Actually, I have very rarely even used an electric shaver. How well do these trimmers work for ear hair? Ear seems to be a somewhat sensitive area - so I am wondering if there is a chance of cuts with trimmers. Also is it difficult to do your own ears while looking into a mirror?

Also the above model seems to be out of stock everywhere - any other recos?
Hi! Check mine. The attachment in the extreme right is the one for fine hair in ears and nostrils. Works fine, just don't get it too deep inside. It's safe, I have never had a cut ever while using a trimmer. And it's easy enough to do ear or nostrils even without a mirror!

But used to get a sensitive skin after using the micro shaver attachment because my skin had not adapted to 'dry' shaving. However, I don't use the micro shaver anyway. Razor is more convenient when clean shaving is required. That's my take and yours /others may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-image.jpeg  

Last edited by saket77 : 8th November 2017 at 22:10.
Old 8th November 2017, 23:11   #6505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

I am not sure which one to go for. Was looking at the below ones :

Please suggest.
I have a Samsung lock and it works great. It is PIN controlled and has an external battery attachment mechanism in case the battery dies. Mine is the basic model and hence is not controlled by a phone. However, would suggest to only go for branded products like Yale/Samsung etc.

BTW I bought it in the US. Samsung's were too expensive here.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:11   #6506
BHPian

Quote:
Have anybody installed smart locks in your homes? I am looking for one which provides me :
1. keyless entry with biometric/passcode (both if possible)
2. Manual override key (incase of dead battery/if giving for relatives)
3. Anti theft alarm
4. Unlocking door through mobile (if available)

Please suggest.
We wanted a Biometric door lock for our office some time back. The consultant told us that a simple fingerprint door lock with keys would last a life time and has few things to go wrong. The fancy wifi connected locks might be hacked. The alarm type would drain the battery and it may present nuisance alarm risk as well.

He gave a few references where the simple biometric locks have been installed and worked without a hitch for over a decade.
These are points worth considering before you take the decision.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:56   #6507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I have a Samsung lock and it works great. It is PIN controlled and has an external battery attachment mechanism in case the battery dies. Mine is the basic model and hence is not controlled by a phone. However, would suggest to only go for branded products like Yale/Samsung etc.

BTW I bought it in the US. Samsung's were too expensive here.
Thanks deep_bang. I am also looking at samsung only but as you have mentioned it is quite expensive. I will try to get it from US. But how about the installation and warranty? Would samsung honor them here in India even if bought from outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
We wanted a Biometric door lock for our office some time back. The consultant told us that a simple fingerprint door lock with keys would last a life time and has few things to go wrong. The fancy wifi connected locks might be hacked. The alarm type would drain the battery and it may present nuisance alarm risk as well.

He gave a few references where the simple biometric locks have been installed and worked without a hitch for over a decade.
These are points worth considering before you take the decision.
Thanks Prowler. I was not aware of the security issues. Why I was looking for a wifi model is to be aware of any untoward instances at home. Will read up more on this before buying.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:34   #6508
BHPian

Any recommendations for 600L refrigerators. My wife wants side by side one because she has never used one. Budget is around 60-70k so side by side and 60-70k means it will be pretty basic entry level refrigerator.
Also any cons of having a side by side refrigerator apart from slightly bigger freezer section?
Any one using side by side.
Considering samsung 604/674 L, getting it from around 73k (674L) from Kohinoor.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:44   #6509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Any recommendations for 600L refrigerators.
I purchased a 591L Samsung wine color about 6 months back. The Samsung store was the cheapest considering all offers and zero percent EMI. It worked out to about 77k then. Here is the white equivalent and I should probably have taken the white. The wine shows up finger smudges very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1510211642825.jpg  

Old 9th November 2017, 12:49   #6510
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks deep_bang. I am also looking at samsung only but as you have mentioned it is quite expensive. I will try to get it from US. But how about the installation and warranty? Would samsung honor them here in India even if bought from outside?
I doubt if Samsung would honour the warranty. I think the system is quite robust and few things can go wrong. So took this chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks