Old 13th January 2018, 13:06   #6556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Bought this yesterday. Got nostalgic

Now for some butter toasts !

https://www.amazon.in/Sumeet-Non-Sti.../dp/B01KLOFXQU
This was on my mind for quite some time now. We used to have this type of toaster about 30+ years ago. Served us well right from jam toasts, butter toastts, veg toast etc. We had an anjali one with dark blue handles, made way to a nirlep one which cut the sandwich from the center, to an electric one with dual sandwich.

The current one I have is a philips electric one, can make two sandwiches at a time. But it cuts the sandwich too. The one you bought retains the shape of the sandwich, allowing you to cut it the way you want.

I think i'll take the plunge and buy it too. How is it working so far? (I dont think there are any parts which will fail, but still.

Last edited by hrman : 13th January 2018 at 13:07.
Old 13th January 2018, 19:37   #6557
Senior - BHPian

My 15 litres Havells water heater which is 4 years old has started giving problems. The initial water temperature is great but after 5 minutes it cools down and is lukewarm. Takes a long time to get hot again and the next person can have a bath.
The technician cleaned the heater and removed a whole lot of limescale from the heater. But the problem persists with no improvement.
He now said he checked with Havells and feels the heating element has become weak and needs to be changed.
Is there anything like the element becoming weak because of hard water.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:17   #6558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
He now said he checked with Havells and feels the heating element has become weak and needs to be changed.
The heating element does not cost too much. I purchased one for 350 from an electric shop for a bajaj 15L heater and swapped it myself. The change was worth it as water heating is now very very quick when compared to earlier.
Old 14th January 2018, 14:45   #6559
BHPian

Quote:
My 15 litres Havells water heater which is 4 years old has started giving problems. The initial water temperature is great but after 5 minutes it cools down and is lukewarm. Takes a long time to get hot again and the next person can have a bath.
The technician cleaned the heater and removed a whole lot of limescale from the heater. But the problem persists with no improvement.
You could remove it and put it in a bath of mild acid to remove the limescale - it will take quite a bit of effort if the scale is more than a mm or so.
Old 14th January 2018, 15:11   #6560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I think i'll take the plunge and buy it too. How is it working so far? (I dont think there are any parts which will fail, but still.
Has been used about 3-4 times till date. All is well.

Bread + Butter + Chopped Onions + Cheese + Pork Salami + Green Chilli= Bliss
Old 14th January 2018, 16:14   #6561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You could remove it and put it in a bath of mild acid to remove the limescale - it will take quite a bit of effort if the scale is more than a mm or so.
This is what the technician managed to remove.
I'll have a look at the heating element myself to see if there is still a covering.
I didn't understand what he meant by a weak heating element. The Home Appliance thread-img_20180111_134209.jpg
Old 14th January 2018, 19:50   #6562
BHPian

Quote:
This is what the technician managed to remove.
I'll have a look at the heating element myself to see if there is still a covering.
I didn't understand what he meant by a weak heating element.
OK. I did not read your original post carefully and didn't realize quite a bit of limescale had been removed. Now that you've had limescale for a while, it would have likely caused overheating in parts of the element, as air and limescale would not have allowed the heat to dissipate into the water uniformly. These hotspots probably destroyed the heating element.

I am not sure how the element is working and producing weaker heating, but I think it has been damaged. Also, you may need to clean out the tank - both sediment and limescale - it is possible that the tank is filled with sediment and the water volume is much smaller than the original 15 litres - this means you have less hot water and it would seem that the heater is not able to produce hot water quickly.

Another point - by now the protective anode is gone (dissolved) and you would need to replace that too. (this is what prevents the build up of scale)

That reminds me that I too should start proactively cleaning out my heater and element and look at replacing the anode too.

Last edited by mvadg : 14th January 2018 at 19:52.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:01   #6563
Senior - BHPian

Guys need advise on Wet Grinder - need a small size one and downselected the below two: Please recommend based on experience:

1. Elgi Ultra Dura+ 1.25-Litre Wet Grinder (Purple) : URL
vs.
2. Vijayalakshmi Handy 1.25 Liter : URL

The Eligi Model is 6K+ and the 2nd one is around 3.5 K but the Elgi Ultra claims some patented conical stones and hence wondering...
Old 15th January 2018, 11:23   #6564
BHPian

Quote:
Four years is decent time for a heating element which should cost south of Rs.1000 depending on Size and Brand. It is better to change it rather than meddling with that. New one would give you good returns in the way of shorter heating time - Electricity and Time saved, and in older times damaged and refurbished elements had the risk of poor insulation(don't know about the newer ones)
Old 15th January 2018, 11:32   #6565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Quote:
Has been used about 3-4 times till date. All is well.

Bread + Butter + Chopped Onions + Cheese + Pork Salami + Green Chilli= Bliss
I was browsing on Amazon when I saw this. Looks a little better than the one I ordered.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 15th January 2018, 11:33   #6566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
OK. I did not read your original post carefully and didn't realize quite a bit of limescale had been removed. Now that you've had limescale for a while, it would have likely caused overheating in parts of the element, as air and limescale would not have allowed the heat to dissipate into the water uniformly. These hotspots probably destroyed the heating element.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Four years is decent time for a heating element which should cost south of Rs.1000 depending on Size and Brand. It is better to change it rather than meddling with that. New one would give you good returns in the way of shorter heating
Thanks. My fear was that replacing the coil may not be the complete solution if tank capacity is affected or there is some other issue. But based on this advice above I guess I'll spend the 1000 bucks or so to to get the coil changed. I'll also ask the technician to clean the tank more thoroughly and see. Havells is a decent brand, so I think the heater has more life left in it.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:35   #6567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was browsing on Amazon when I saw this. Looks a little better than the one I ordered.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
Thanks Eddy. I checked this during my search. The issue is it cuts the sandwich into 4 parts. My requirement was to have it full so that I can cut it the way I want (I know its a bit weird, but still)
Old 15th January 2018, 11:51   #6568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Guys need advise on Wet Grinder - need a small size one and downselected the below two: Please recommend based on experience:

1. Elgi Ultra Dura+ 1.25-Litre Wet Grinder (Purple) : URL
vs.
2. Vijayalakshmi Handy 1.25 Liter : URL

The Eligi Model is 6K+ and the 2nd one is around 3.5 K but the Elgi Ultra claims some patented conical stones and hence wondering...
I bought the Elgi 1.25 after reviewing the other brands. The conical stones are way ahead of the cylindrical ones used in older design.

These grinders can grind as little as 250ml. For Idly Dosa, my usual mix is

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4179.jpg
250g rice

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4180.jpg
250g rice, total 500g

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4182.jpg
125g dal

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4184.jpg
5g Methi

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4319.jpg
First grind Methi. Even that small amount grinds perfectly

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4325.jpg
Then the Dal. The 125g dal will swell up to nearly 8 times

The Home Appliance thread-msc_4334.jpg
Lastly the rice, and then mix it up.

Please note that the dal and rice are ground separately and require about 20 to 30 minutes to grind really fine.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:01   #6569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I bought the Elgi 1.25 after reviewing the other brands. The conical stones are way ahead of the cylindrical ones used in older design.

These grinders can grind as little as 250ml. For Idly Dosa, my usual mix is

Attachment 1716969
125g dal

Please note that the dal and rice are ground separately and require about 20 to 30 minutes to grind really fine.
Thanks for the detailed review. One suggestion, instead of using the split Urad dal, you can try using the whole Urad dal. It gives a smoother texture and yields better results.
How much quantity of rice does it grind at a time? I gather it is about 1 lit including the water?
Old 15th January 2018, 14:02   #6570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot - Thats a super answer with pictures and all
I have shared your reponse with my wife to read thru. In the meanwhile, have you found the 1.25 liter sufficient enough for your needs or do you recommend the 2.0 liter one? My Scenario: We are a small family of 3 (couple + 1 Toddler).

Also when I compared the technical specification, the motor on the Elgi Ultra is 84 watt and the one on the Vijayalaksmi brand is 150 watt. So would the other one be faster due to this - or is it just that the Elgi Ultra is more efficient ?...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 15th January 2018 at 14:03.

Most Viewed