Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2018, 16:15   #6631
BHPian

Thanks folks, I have switched off everything except my two routers and a cordless phone. The consumption was at 53w. I know my larger R7000 router consumes 11w so if I take out a total of 20w, it leaves a consumption of ~33w for my two inverters. I suppose this is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1519641888586.jpg  

Old 26th February 2018, 16:35   #6632
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thanks folks, I have switched off everything except my two routers and a cordless phone. The consumption was at 53w. I know my larger R7000 router consumes 11w so if I take out a total of 20w, it leaves a consumption of ~33w for my two inverters. I suppose this is fine.
Can you share some more info on the app the the device that you have used to measure the power consumption? I need to do a similar analysis in my home with APC inverter. Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 16:45   #6633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you share some more info on the app the the device that you have used to measure the power consumption?
I am using this device and it comes with its own app.
Itead Sonoff Pow 16A Wifi Smart Switch Monitor Energy Usage Smart Home Power Measuring Wi-fi Switch APP Control Works With Alexa
http://s.aliexpress.com/Yry2YFjM
Old 27th February 2018, 01:07   #6634
BHPian

With this device connected to my inverters I am now able to determine power consumption of all my devices that are connected to the inverters . This was by accident and not design. Just figured my superfan that is rated at 38w consumption is actually going upto 49w when switched on before settling at a steady 45w at full speed.

Last edited by diyguy : 27th February 2018 at 01:09.
Old 10th March 2018, 18:15   #6635
BHPian

My samsung 2011, 5 Kg washing machine has died. The drum is not rotating and the engineer said the arms have broken.
He quoted 9000 for company replacement and 5500 if same guy comes and does it privately. If private guy does then he will weld those arms. If company does, they replace the drum itself. Please suggest what I should do. I went and looked at new machines and like the idea of a large 21kg Samsung in which I can wash our king size comforters with ease. Wondering what to do!
Old 11th March 2018, 11:58   #6636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My samsung 2011, 5 Kg washing machine has died. The drum is not rotating and the engineer said the arms have broken.
He quoted 9000 for company replacement and 5500 if same guy comes and does it privately. If private guy does then he will weld those arms. If company does, they replace the drum itself. Please suggest what I should do. I went and looked at new machines and like the idea of a large 21kg Samsung in which I can wash our king size comforters with ease. Wondering what to do!
First of all there is no use repairing an old Washing Machine, as one by one; like an old car; parts will start failing.

I really like the idea of a 20kg Washing Machine. Though we wash all sorts of things in our LG 6kg machine, there are a few items like large durries and blankets which just do not fit. A larger capacity could accommodate them. That said, these large loads come only once a year (annual cleaning). Further one has to evaluate the efficiency of normal load, which rarely exceed 6 kg (in case it does, we run two loads). In case there is a provision for less water consumption in smaller loads then it is fine, else a large machine would consume two to three times water than a smaller - 6/7 kg machine does. There fore buy one only if you can justify the large capacity, else normal 6kg to 8kg does domestic jobs perfectly.
Old 12th March 2018, 22:51   #6637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There fore buy one only if you can justify the large capacity, else normal 6kg to 8kg does domestic jobs perfectly.
Thanks for the counsel Aroy. I am going ahead with the Samsung 9kg and am deciding between the 100% dry and the normal model. Putting off the 21kg one for now!
Old 13th March 2018, 07:39   #6638
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the counsel Aroy. I am going ahead with the Samsung 9kg and am deciding between the 100% dry and the normal model. Putting off the 21kg one for now!
If space is not constraint then go for a normal machine and dryer separately. If one of them creates problem then you'll have the other one working.
We have a setup like this. Also we only usethe dryer during monsoon. Rest of the season clothes are dried under Sun.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:16   #6639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If space is not constraint then go for a normal machine and dryer separately. If one of them creates problem then you'll have the other one working.
We have a setup like this. Also we only usethe dryer during monsoon. Rest of the season clothes are dried under Sun.
I completely agree with this. In fact, what most of us miss out is that in most cases the capacity of the dryer is half of that of the washer - 8kg wash, 4kg dry, which to me, makes no sense, when I want it dry, I want the whole load dry in one go, not in two lots.

Another thing is that the combined cost of a separate dryer and washing machine is normally less than that of a combiner washer+dryer machine. So space permitting, get a separate dryer.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:47   #6640
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing is that the combined cost of a separate dryer and washing machine is normally less than that of a combiner washer+dryer machine. So space permitting, get a separate dryer.
In the case I am considering the Samsung 9Kg washer, the regular machine is 10K cheaper than the one with the 100% dryer. I do not think we can get a dryer separate unit in that price. However the rated dryer capacity is 6Kg for the 9Kg washer. The hassle of removing from one machine and put into another for drying will be worth it in colder parts of India, but in Chennai, if i suggest that to my wife, she will prefer drying in the Sun than having to switch to a second machine
The Home Appliance thread-whatsapp-image-20180313-11.43.30-am.jpeg
Old 13th March 2018, 12:07   #6641
Team-BHP Support

Newer Samsung machines have a programmable 'Monsoon' spin cycle for extra drying. Tried it on mine, works reasonably well.
Old 13th March 2018, 23:51   #6642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, what most of us miss out is that in most cases the capacity of the dryer is half of that of the washer - 8kg wash, 4kg dry, which to me, makes no sense ...
If I was a marketing man, trying to sell you thing, I might try this one on you:

The capacity of the machine is 4kg, but, if you only want to wash, then you get special extended capacity of twice that!

Old 15th March 2018, 17:19   #6643
BHPian

I have to move ahead with a water treatment device for my whole house. I had broached this subject a few months back but had put it off as this is a rented home. Last week my washing machine drum arms broke due to scaling and today my 5 month old dishwasher was showing error. Found the outlet filter to be clogged with limescale.
I was speaking to 3M earlier and they are very pricey. Checked another dealer today called Mega. They will send someone over tomorrow. I was told by someone else to also consider a whole house RO instead of softener as softener will need regeneration every day or two. Please advise and recommend any dealers in Chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1521114455455.jpg  

Old 15th March 2018, 17:30   #6644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have to move ahead with a water treatment device for my whole house. I had broached this subject a few months back but had put it off as this is a rented home. Last week my washing machine drum arms broke due to scaling and today my 5 month old dishwasher was showing error. Found the outlet filter to be clogged with limescale.
I was speaking to 3M earlier and they are very pricey. Checked another dealer today called Mega. They will send someone over tomorrow. I was told by someone else to also consider a whole house RO instead of softener as softener will need regeneration every day or two. Please advise and recommend any dealers in Chennai.
We have 3M scale inhibitor installed to neutralize the hard water. As of now we are happy with it. This is a passive system that will not remove the salts from the hard water but will make them in-active. So far scaling is not that prominent and we are happy with the product. Note that it will not prevent scaling 100% but will be effective around 70-80% depending on how hard the water is.

Whole house RO/softener will need you to fill it with 50kg salt every 10 days. It is an active system and will have quite a bit of maintenance overhead. If you have a watchman in the building who can do this activity, i would strongly recommend you go with this system. This actually removes salt from the water by the same principle as the RO filters do and will give you clean pure almost drinking quality soft water. But you have to be prepared with continuous upkeep of the whole setup.
Old 15th March 2018, 18:35   #6645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
We have 3M scale inhibitor installed to neutralize the hard water.
Thank you. Checked reviews on this item on amazon and they are kinda scary. One customer thinks he needs to change the filter every three days
I have an issue that our terrace is not accessible without a ladder and it is little precarious due to sloping roofs. I would like to have a device that can do the scale neutralization when water is being pumped up. If the inhibitor does not need maintenance often then terrace shouldn't be a problem. Here's some pics of my Bosch dishwasher after a lot of elbow grease and scrubbing with a metallic brush.The Home Appliance thread-img_20180315_180520__01.jpgThe Home Appliance thread-img_20180315_180524__01.jpg

Last edited by diyguy : 15th March 2018 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks