Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 14:11   #6616
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
During the recent Prestige sale, purchased the coffee maker along with other products.

1. Bought the Leo 60:40 powder

Questions,

1. What am I doing wrong?
2. We prefer strong coffee, so which powder should we purchase?
3. What should be combination of chicory and coffee for strong coffee?
Drip coffee makers will never make that "filter coffee" decoction;
and 40% chicory? Will be extremely bitter. I prefer pure coffee powder or no more than around 5% chicory.

I am no barista, but you could try putting in a lot more powder and using it like a traditional coffee filter (not sure how you'd accomplish that).

Most of us, unless we prefer the "American" style coffee have given up on the drip coffee makers.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:42   #6617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Drip coffee makers will never make that "filter coffee" decoction;
and 40% chicory? Will be extremely bitter. I prefer pure coffee powder or no more than around 5% chicory.

Most of us, unless we prefer the "American" style coffee have given up on the drip coffee makers.
Never knew that the drip coffee makers are out of the league. Will try to source a powder with less chicory and see if it makes any difference.
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:39   #6618
BHPian

Looks like my Samsung front load washing machine has been killed by scaling and hard water. My wife was showing me stones from the bottom discharge pipe which I ignored. For the past three days she has been running the machine but clothes not coming out clean. On checking realized the drum is not rotating. Have a DIY attempt coming up on the weekend.
Am now concerned of my other washing machine and a new Bosch dish washer.
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:10   #6619
BANNED

Quote:
1. What am I doing wrong?
2. We prefer strong coffee, so which powder should we purchase?
3. What should be combination of chicory and coffee for strong coffee?

https://www.prestigesmartkitchen.com...maker-pcmd-3-0
I drink only drip coffee & have been drinking it for nearly 20 years now. I drink it without milk.

First of all, I think that's way too much chicory. I use mostly pure coffee with no chicory. Occasionally, upto 10% chicory. But I don't think that is making the coffee watery.

Also, the strength of the coffee depends on the coffee powder also. Some coffee beans are light, some are strong. Also if you are expecting filter coffee from a drip machine, you aren't going to get that - drip machine makes drip coffee.

Try making a single cup of coffee - may be 1 spoon of powder & one glass of water. It will be easier to experiment & adjust.
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:31   #6620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Looks like my Samsung front load washing machine has been killed by scaling and hard water. My wife was showing me stones from the bottom discharge pipe which I ignored. For the past three days she has been running the machine but clothes not coming out clean. On checking realized the drum is not rotating. Have a DIY attempt coming up on the weekend.
Am now concerned of my other washing machine and a new Bosch dish washer.
Do you use a descaling powder? We use a IFB branded descalar once every 4 to 6 months in our Siemens washing machine. It seems to be effective. As for the accumulated debris, you will have to get it cleaned. For the Bosch dishwasher, I assume it would have compartment for dishwasher salt that is used for water softening. Use that and you should not face any issues.
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:20   #6621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During the recent Prestige sale, purchased the coffee maker along with other products.
My suggestion:
1. Buy a traditional coffee filter. Something like this. Since you are in Chennai, it should be easily available in Saravanas, Ratna stores or anywhere.
https://www.amazon.in/Kitchen-Mart-S...=coffee+filter

2. Buy coffee powder which is not less than 80:20 (80% coffee, 20% chicory). You can increase the coffee proportion, not the chicory. I use Fresh n ground (Coffeeday)

3. Fill the top container of the coffee filter with 1/3rd capacity of coffee powder.
4. Pour boiling water and fill the top container of the filter upto the brim.
5. Cover it and let the coffee decoction percolate to the bottom container.
6. Add the decoction to hot milk in the ratio you need (Strong, light etc) and enjoy the steaming filter coffee.

Last edited by hrman : 22nd February 2018 at 09:22.
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:45   #6622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Do you use a descaling powder.
Thanks for the reply. We have not used a descaler for a long time, maybe 2-3 years. We are using the salt in the dishwasher so that's a relief. I guess the drum has fallen off its harness, will know better when I open it up.
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:04   #6623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
First of all, I think that's way too much chicory. I use mostly pure coffee with no chicory. Occasionally, upto 10% chicory. But I don't think that is making the coffee watery.
Ok, will change the powder.

Quote:
Try making a single cup of coffee - may be 1 spoon of powder & one glass of water. It will be easier to experiment & adjust.
Will do the experiment and identify the right formulae of water and coffee powder.

Quote:
Also, the strength of the coffee depends on the coffee powder also. Some coffee beans are light, some are strong. Also if you are expecting filter coffee from a drip machine, you aren't going to get that - drip machine makes drip coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
My suggestion:
1. Buy a traditional coffee filter.
5. Cover it and let the coffee decoction percolate to the bottom container.
6. Add the decoction to hot milk in the ratio you need (Strong, light etc) and enjoy the steaming filter coffee.
Have the one you have mentioned but isn't the coffee maker doing the same thing? Then why it is called filter coffee and the latter drip coffee
Old 23rd February 2018, 13:11   #6624
BHPian

Have never used drip coffee maker. Never needed it. We have been using the traditional filter coffee maker since my childhood. Though the principle is same (I guess) I think the time taken to get the decoction varies. In traditional filter we leave it overnight for a thick/strong decoction in the morning. I think these drip filters give the decoction instantly which is why it'll never taste the same as filter coffee. Unless you're always in a hurry to have coffee I suggest to use the traditional one which you have already. It's cheap and doesn't require power as well
Old 23rd February 2018, 13:38   #6625
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
We have been using the traditional filter coffee maker since my childhood.
So have I. And I have used the drip maker for the last 20 years.

Quote:
I think these drip filters give the decoction instantly
Drip coffee makers make coffee, not decoction.

Quote:
which is why it'll never taste the same as filter coffee.
It's a different taste. I prefer the drip coffee for milk-less coffee & filter coffee if I want to drink with milk. But 90% of the time, I drink coffee without milk - so it's mostly drip.

Last edited by carboy : 23rd February 2018 at 13:39.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:01   #6626
BHPian

I have two inverters from APC that power different rooms of my house during a power cut. Both use 150ah tall tubular batteries, exide and amaron. I hooked up an inline wifi switch that also reports power consumption. I see that these two inverters are drawing a continuous power of 150-400w at any given time. Even though there is no power cut the power consumption seems too high. This does not seem normal and I intend switching off one and monitoring the other for a few hours to determine if a unit is faulty.
Old 25th February 2018, 14:00   #6627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have two inverters from APC that power different rooms of my house during a power cut. Both use 150ah tall tubular batteries, exide and amaron. I hooked up an inline wifi switch that also reports power consumption. I see that these two inverters are drawing a continuous power of 150-400w at any given time. Even though there is no power cut the power consumption seems too high. This does not seem normal and I intend switching off one and monitoring the other for a few hours to determine if a unit is faulty.
You have to be sure that the consumption is by UPS and not just pass through. Most UPS are line interactive and just pass input to output, with just a small amount for charging batteries when mains power is there. It is only when the power fails that the output is from UPS.
Old 25th February 2018, 14:04   #6628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You have to be sure that the consumption is by UPS and not just pass through.
Wow, got it. So I was reading it all wrong. How do I then determine the amount it consumes for battery charge? Was concerned if there is a bad cell or bad inverter board.
Old 25th February 2018, 19:06   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, got it. So I was reading it all wrong. How do I then determine the amount it consumes for battery charge? Was concerned if there is a bad cell or bad inverter board.
You have to figure out which wire goes to the charger and then measure after that point. In case you get hold of the circuit diagram, it is easy, else you have to study the internals and figure out. Most probably there will be a relay right after the mains input. One set of wires from it will go to output, another set will go to the UPS/Charger unit.
Old 25th February 2018, 20:27   #6630
BHPian

Quote:
How do I then determine the amount it consumes for battery charge?
I have an APC BI850 sine for the past 6+ years.

I remember many years back I wanted to measure the power consumption when batteries were on trickle-charge. I have a digital government-meter which displays the watts and other interesting real-time data.

I switched off all my electrical devices including fridge, etc with only the UPS working at trickle-charge. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was around 30 watts, which was low.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks