Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 15:32   #6481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Any suggestions for microwave? I need fairly big capacity one with convection and will be usef frequently for baking cakes etc.
For cakes (and other baking tasks) get an Oven or OTG, a microwave is overkill especially when you have to pay exorbitant prices for large ones. We have a large oven in our Gas cooking range which is more than 100L capacity.
Old 26th September 2017, 00:41   #6482
BHPian

I purchased a Bosch dish washer and am wondering if I should fork out an extra 4800~ for an additional 2 years of warranty. Any advice/experience with Bosch warranty?
Old 26th September 2017, 01:25   #6483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I purchased a Bosch dish washer and am wondering if I should fork out an extra 4800~ for an additional 2 years of warranty. Any advice/experience with Bosch warranty?
4800 is approximately 12% of the initial cost but I have had to shell out more than that percentage for Philips, Sony and Panasonic stuff in the past, and Bosch's spares are expensive.

So like GTO often says, basic rule with any German machinery - get the maximum warranty possibly available!

Generally warranty and after sales support will heavily depend on whether Bosch is handling it themselves or have outsourced it.

BTW, extended warranty on Amazon is being shown @38xx for the top model.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:38   #6484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Bosch's spares are expensive... BTW, extended warranty on Amazon is being shown @38xx for the top model.
Thanks for that. I will proceed with the warranty. The prices are scary as most of the Spares are available on Amazon itself and nothing is below 5k. The Amazon warranty is by a third party and that is the reason I did not buy it from them during the purchase of the dish washer.

The service center says they handle both Siemens and Bosch and I think their warranty should be better than the Amazon one. The terms and conditions are a bit iffy though. The correct price is 4347 for two years and details here.
http://www.bosch-home.in/service/car...ended-warranty

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th September 2017 at 09:44. Reason: Added Space. Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:42   #6485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

The service center says they handle both Siemens and Bosch and I think their warranty should be better than the Amazon one. The terms and conditions are a bit iffy though. The correct price is 4347 for two years...[/url]
These machines chug along alright most of the times. Extended warranty is just a safeguard for any statistically odd issue.

Service center folks are generally quite accommodating but given the fact that terms & conditions specifically mention service center's autonomous status one would do well to keep them at very cordial terms.

Regular extended warranty prices are scary
Old 26th September 2017, 12:03   #6486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
These machines chug along alright most of the times...Regular extended warranty prices are scary
Just got a call from Customer care and she says post warranty the AMC is 5500 per year. Plastic and rubber is not covered. There is frankly little else since the inside steel tub has a 10 year warranty. The interiors are all plastic, spray arms, rollers etc.
Old 26th September 2017, 12:13   #6487
Senior - BHPian

I am warming up to the idea of buying an air purifier.
Has any one used any similar devices?
Are they any effective?
Old 26th September 2017, 16:43   #6488
Senior - BHPian

Using a SHARP purifier for five years now. This is the best among brands and worked even during dust storms, common in the Gulf. It's an imported unit & definitely effective (to demo, my friend blew smoke rings into it and even in that extreme circumstance it threw out fresh air), but ensure the filter is changed as recommended. Else it throws out slightly stale air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I am warming up to the idea of buying an air purifier.
Has any one used any similar devices?
Are they any effective?
Old 28th September 2017, 11:45   #6489
BHPian

Hi,
I have a question about sockets - my kitchen has only 1 16A socket which is used by the refrigerator. Apart from this I have 2 normal 6A type sockets. I've recently purchased an OTG and also have a microwave (that is used rarely because of lack of socket). Both these appliances have 16A plugs.

So here is my concern - I plan to use these two appliances (OTG & Microwave) more frequently. Both will not be used together for sure.

Here are a few potential solutions - requesting the electric engineers / experts to advice on suitability:

1. Use a converter plug to put the 16A socket into a 6A socket. Something like https://www.flipkart.com/vinay-16008...meacy6dfyjagpz
or https://www.amazon.in/Girish-Univers.../dp/B01I5S9PBI.

2. Use option 1 with an extension in the 6A socket. This is purely from a location of appliance perspective.

3. Use an 16A extension strip / surge protector, plug this in the 16A socket. Then plug the refrigerator into this extension strip / surge protector & connect the other 2 appliances as and when used. Some of the ones I could see online are - https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-Essenti...0083T23AA&th=1.

4. Add a 16A socket near the existing 6A socket. Physically, this would have a lot of challenges as it is a leased apartment and I do not want to make any major changes. Also, I read on some forums that this depends on the thickness of wire available at that board, which I don't know.

5. Any other solutions?

Thanks
Ashish
Old 28th September 2017, 12:34   #6490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
3. Use an 16A extension strip / surge protector, plug this in the 16A
Your fridge will definitely not need 16A. You can swap out to a regular socket and use the 16A one with a Belkin spike for your OTG and Microwave. I am using the belkin for two washing machines fed off one socket. The electrician also checked the internal wire and switched the socket from a 5A to a 15A one for my two washing machines. The wire was 2.5sq mm and he said this was sufficient for a washing machine. That is something you can check as well.
Old 1st October 2017, 11:27   #6491
Senior - BHPian

Bosch has extended their employee discount scheme to family and friends now. The discount offered is 25% on the MRP. This is a stand alone and cannot be clubbed with any other schemes in the market.

A form has to be filled in by the employee which is then approved by the HR at plant level and then by the BSH office in Mumbai. The approved copy of the form needs to be produced along with a copy of the employee identification badge at the store to avail this discount.

A maximum of 2 appliance can be purchased in a calendar year by an employee and can be repetitive. If you are planning on a Bosch product and have anyone in your known circle in Bosch, you can get this through them.
Old 18th October 2017, 16:17   #6492
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am looking for a microwave convention oven, smaller the better. Leaning towards 20l IFB as reviews looks good. Use mostly for reheating food and frying peanuts. I am getting upto 30% discount online. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 18th October 2017, 18:20   #6493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
microwave convention oven, smaller the better. Leaning towards 20l IFB as reviews looks good. Use mostly for reheating food and frying peanuts.
I had a large microwave and then when it died after about 15 years of use went in for a smaller one. Realized that the popcorn packs are not suited to the small ovens and they get stuck during rotation. That's one issue and I have a Samsung btw.
Old 18th October 2017, 19:26   #6494
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
frying peanuts
How does one fry peanuts in a Microwave?
Old 19th October 2017, 03:13   #6495
BHPian

I've setup this configuration of an indicator light, timer and rcbo for the water heaters at our home. This will take care of cutting power to the water heater after 3 minutes. If one wants it hotter, just need to switch off and on the switch for an additional three minutes. I am now looking for a small or regular size plug that can support 15A. I only got this size din mounted 16A socket but am unable to source a matching sized plug in 15A. I believe I will need a Type D, 15A plug which will match most normal sockets at home. However I don't see it available in India. The regular 15A plugs are Type M, which are larger in size and will not fit into the socket in the picture. I can use an adapter but would prefer to avoid one more component in this setup.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1508362898190.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks