Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 16:50   #6346
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I am looking for a fully automatic front loading machine.
We have been using LG Front Loading (6 KG, Direct Drive) for nearly 2 years now. No complaints. Smooth, noiseless operation.

Moreover, LG is backed by excellent service network and has a great response response in Chennai.

Happy Washing!
Old 20th June 2017, 16:51   #6347
BHPian

Quote:
I need to buy a washing machine as my current one seems to be on its last legs. My current one is a top loading machine and I am looking for a fully automatic front loading machine. What should be the things i should be looking for in the washing machine and what are the brands recommended in terms of quality as well as service
Many of my friends are using LG and all of them are quite happy with its performance.
I am using IFB, and my suggestion is 'stay away from IFB at any cost'
Old 20th June 2017, 17:00   #6348
BHPian

Quote:
I need to buy a washing machine as my current one seems to be on its last legs. My current one is a top loading machine and I am looking for a fully automatic front loading machine. What should be the things i should be looking for in the washing machine and what are the brands recommended in terms of quality as well as service
Not sure on front loading but have been using a LG top Load washing machine for last 6+ years and has been working fine till date. LG quality is better and is backed by good service as well.
Old 20th June 2017, 17:24   #6349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Bosch WAK24268IN, a slightly higher end front load. Been using it for over a year. Going smooth, no issues. It consumes lesser electricity and water. I have read on some forums about Bosch machines requiring a certain amount of water pressure to work effectively. If this is okay at your place, you can go for Bosch. Some 6Kg ones are available at 20XXX on some online websites.
Old 20th June 2017, 19:04   #6350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Bosch front load washing machine Model # WAT20165IN and am happy with it. Washing is better than the previous whirlpool top load that I had . The only criteria before buying that you should be aware of is that of the water pressure. I do not remember what the number was on top of my head though. Installation was done on the same day of delivery and was given a demo as well.

When I was researching , I heard that LG is also quite good. Bosch is slightly costlier than LG. I went with Bosch as I got a good discount.
Old 21st June 2017, 10:52   #6351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend LG front load. After 10 years of IFB, I shifted to LG and for the last 3+ years there has been no problem. We have around 450 loads per year, which includes clothes, sheets, foot mats, light blankets and curtains, in fact any thing that can fit in the machine.

In case you have a very humid climate where the clothes take ages to dry (in Delhi they dry in between 2 to 4 hours, unless it is raining), then you should go in for a machine with a dryer or if you have the space for it get a stand alone dryer.
Old 21st June 2017, 11:40   #6352
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs. It seems the consensus is LG. My current top loading is LG and has been very reliable and we have around 10 to 12 loads every week. My wife is insisting on one with a dryer (i don't blame her as she has to do all the 'hanging out to dry'). I definitely don't have space for a separate dryer. What is the feedback on machines with dryer. Do they dry fully or there will be some amount of moisture still left necessitating hanging them out on the stand
Old 21st June 2017, 12:50   #6353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the feedback on machines with dryer. Do they dry fully or there will be some amount of moisture still left necessitating hanging them out on the stand
My experience of a washer-drier is from long ago, but I think all or most of it is still true.

1. It will fully dry if that is what you want, you set it right and give it time. (You might want to leave slight dampness to make ironing easier).

2. It will increase your electricity bills enormously.

3. The drying capacity of the machine will be around half the washing capacity. One full wash will take two drying loads.

4. The drier will fail before the washing machine stops washing.

5. All that drying heat has to go somewhere. Your AC bills will be going up too!

On the whole, unless you live in a place where it is often raining, you need clothes dried quickly, you have no room to hang washing inside away from rain... I do not recommend washer driers. For most of the above reasons, I don't even recommend driers.

My mother, in UK, had a Miele drier. This is like the Rolls Royce of domestic equipment, and at that kind of price too. After her death, I gave it to friends, and it still works ten years later.

Your wife may not like hanging out and getting in the washing. Better you tell her to get you to do it!

Or get a maid. The maid may even cost less than the electricity. Solar washing drier comes for free!
Old 21st June 2017, 13:10   #6354
Senior - BHPian

It is always better to have a stand-alone dryer, if you have the space for it. The stand-alone dryer costs practically as much as the difference between the dryer-no-dryer machines, so you do not loose financially. What you loose is space in a cramped flat, but you gain an extra redundancy in appliance so that the WM will still be available if the dryer packs up.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:14   #6355
BHPian

After 10 years of service my Whirlpool Refrigerator seems to be giving one more round of problems. It used to blow its control unit every few years and it cost 3k until a few months ago where it cost 5k. I should have quit.

Now it is choking with ice so much so that the fan stops running.
I am looking to replace it with Samsung 253 L Frost Free Refrigerator (RT28M3022S8) . It is a basic model with less bells and whistles.

How good are these so called inverter Fridges ? Will they last a decade ? My current one consumes about 150 VA while running. I don't see how you can cool a box with the size of 250 liters with less energy.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:04   #6356
Senior - BHPian

Some inverter refrigerators from LG and Samsung are coming with 10 year warranty on the compressor, so I guess that it is worth buying them for peace of mind.
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:35   #6357
Distinguished - BHPian

Ten-year warranty on my Whirlpool compressor --- but only one year on the rest, which just indicates what the manufacturers expect to go wrong. It isn't the compressor, but the electronics which is going to be costing us money over the decade.
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:14   #6358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How good are these so called inverter Fridges ? Will they last a decade ? My current one consumes about 150 VA while running. I don't see how you can cool a box with the size of 250 liters with less energy.
I am using Hitachi Inverter type (Hitachi 390 Ltr R-SG37BPND) refrigerator since May 2014; so far so good; Has not given an issue till date. However, to your question of 'whether it will work without any issues for a decade', only time can answer. So my suggestion is to select a product, which can get good service back up.

The only thing that was recommended additionally while buying the inverter refrigerator was, a good stabilizer as I was told that replacing the 'circuit board' alone would cost about Rs 7000, in case of any problem. My previous Frost free whirlpool refrigerator was working complaint free for 14 years, without any stabilizer.

Last edited by batman : 22nd June 2017 at 20:19. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:35   #6359
Senior - BHPian

With electronics, you can never bet on how long it will last. Even MIL spec devices fail.

The only refrigerator that will work for decades is a purely mechanical beast. I have seen Westinghouse and Surfridge working flawlessly for fifty years and still going strong. Hard to beat such longevity.

The body was massive, insulation thick and power consumption much more than modern refrigerators. But then these were all direct cool refrigerators with no "Frost Free" function or "Ice Maker" or inverter compressor for high efficiency.
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:00   #6360
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a good dish washer. LG seems costly so leaning towards BOSCH. How is the service network in chennai for BOSCH? All my other appliances are from LG and so far trouble free. Just the cost factor is putting me off here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks