Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:39   #6271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Surf Excel and Ariel have specific ones. They are both on sale on Amazon tonight and you can get extra 15% Cashback if you use Amazon pay. ...
Also at you local supermarket.
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:02   #6272
Team-BHP Support

My nearly-decade old Godrej single door fridge refused to start in the morning. Going by the service manual and prevalent symptoms (starter relay was clicking but the compressor wouldn't kick in), I cleaned up the visible parts of the coil in/out of the compressor, and the radiator at the back as it had picked up a lot of dirt over the years and was possibly causing stuff to overheat.

The fridge came back to life and is cooling fine, but I called in a technician anyway (he's yet to visit) just to be sure some component isn't reaching end-of-life.

What could be wrong given the symptoms?
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:00   #6273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Guys will deliver machine tomorrow and installation is scheduled for next day.
Quoting myself. Received the machine today. Looking at labels, it is a May 2016 manufactured machine which means it was sitting in warehouse for more than 6 months. while i agree Bosch is not a fast moving brand, is there anything that i need to be worried about in above case.

Machine was send from warehouse. As such no way for me to check the date of manufacturing.
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:39   #6274
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

We were using a Whirlpool 360 top loading washing machine since 2012. It used to have its own quirks every now and then but used to do the job. But from last year it started giving problems. It used to throw some random error codes every now and then but used to go off if we didnt use the machine for 2-3 days. But still got it checked and replaced the PCD unit costing me 4K last october. But over the weekend I got the same error and when I called up the technician he said some other parts( I forgot) are damaged and it would cost me close to 5k. He himself was suggesting to move away from the brand.

Sorry about the rant. Now to talk about my need. I am in the lookout for a washing machine which should be reliable and give trouble free service atleast for 4-5 years. Have few questions that I have and would be great if people can help me out.

1. Any adv/disadv of top load vs front load?
2. My budget is around 25K (can go upto 30k if the machine is good)
3. What brands should I consider? (IFB/Bosch/LG/Samsung)
4. I am based out of Bangalore and would also like to know how good the service is?

Apart from this, please suggest anything else that I should be considering?
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:45   #6275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My nearly-decade old Godrej single door fridge refused to start in the morning........
First hand experience with both a private service firm and Godrej A.S.S and neither went as expected.

Private Service Firm
Assuming usual lousy A.S.S. and exorbitant prices (neither was true, more in a bit), I called up the highest rated privateer fridge repair firm on Google reviews at 9:30 AM.

The guy turns up at about 1:00 PM, promptly gives me some gyaan as to how my starter/overload relay is close to failure, and shows me a Godrej replacement part quoting INR 1800/-. The box isn't sealed, has the MRP scratched off, and the relay fails the simple rattle test (most DIY sites online say a relay with a rattling component inside is usually shot).

I quickly Google the part number online and it shows an MRP of INR 320/-. I speak to the technician's boss, who dismisses my concerns nonchalantly with a 'these are our prices and we give 3-month warranty, you're free to use cheap duplicates'. I say thanks, get my old relay reinstalled and wave goodbye. The technician offers to do the job offline for half-price. No thanks!

Godrej A.S.S.

The fridge is chugging along, but I've got the worm in my head whether the relay would last much longer given it's nearly a decade old. I finally give in and call Godrej's service helpline around 4.00 PM. I get an SMS confirming my case# and 30 mins later, I get a call from my area's service franchisee confirming my address and preferred times within the next 24 hours. I'm reminded to verify the technician's ID, his Godrej SmartCare uniform and bag before letting him in.

I call up the the technician who's is in another part of town, but is happy to attend to me late evening if I don't mind. I agree.

He finally drops by at 8.00 PM, verifies that the starter/overload relay is NOT faulty but tells me there's a newer, power-efficient design available for my model, MRP INR 550/-. My choice entirely.

I choose the replace, he makes the change from a fresh sealed packet, asks me to keep the old one handy just in case, gives me a receipt (that's good for a 90-day warranty), does a trial run and we're good to go 15 mins later.

Thoroughly professional chap, knowledgeable about the product and refused a tip too.

Lesson learnt
A.S.S. is usually more miss than hit, but one shouldn't make assumptions without giving it a try.

Safe to say Godrej A.S.S. gets +1 from me, and given I've never had an issue with the appliance itself, I'd be glad to try the same brand next time if I'm in Bangalore then.
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:06   #6276
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar result last year with LG and a microwave. I was already mentally prepared to buy a new one, but the LG guy took a look and returned the next day with the needed part at a fraction of the cost of the new one and fitted it in minutes.

But for fridges and AC machines, I cannot speak too highly of our guy on the local street. I don't know if google even knows about him, but everybody else seems to: the only problem is that he is hard to get hold of!
Old 1st February 2017, 15:31   #6277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Bought my first front loader from Reliance digital store.
Just thought of sharing my buying experience with reliance.

We paid for washing machine on 22 Jan. Next 2 days, we got the machine delivered and installed. Trusting the reliance installation technician turned out to be a nightmare.

Machine had transit damage which installation technician ignored. Only when we used the machine first time, i realized something is wrong. Thankfully, they agreed to change the machine on 25 Jan & it took them 7 days to replace the machine . That too only after i wrote few mails to reliance head office in Mumbai & involved Bosch India via social media. Dealing with local store people was a complete nightmare. Most Probably , Will avoid reliance my whole life.
Old 10th February 2017, 10:13   #6278
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, on the lookout for a powerful home vacuum cleaner to replace my ancient Samsung one. Budget flexible and I want the most feature-laden and powerful one available with warranty & service.

Are there any benefits of a wet+dry cleaner?
Old 10th February 2017, 19:32   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am in the lookout for a washing machine which should be reliable and give trouble free service atleast for 4-5 years.
Quoting myself. Bought a bosch front loader washing machine along with extended warranty. The sales, delivery and installation was all good with the delivery people even saying no to some money that I tried giving them for making them wait for close to 20 mins before I could reach home. The person who had come for demo and installation suggested for the extended warranty as well. All in all it was a good experience and hope in case if I ever need to make a service call even then it would be the same. Fingers crossed.
Old 21st February 2017, 11:45   #6280
BHPian

Any suggestion of Refrigerators which fulfills the below 3 criteria

1. 500 liters or above
2. Energy rating of 3 stars or above
3. Inverter technology

A quick look out at LG and Unilet led us believe (based on talks with SA) that energy ratings does not comes on higher capacity fridge. One can find the point 2 and 3 only on 400 liters and below.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:52   #6281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post

1. 500 liters or above
2. Energy rating of 3 stars or above
3. Inverter technology

...One can find the point 2 and 3 only on 400 liters and below.
Not correct. I have LG refrigerator above 400 litre with both inverter technology and 4 star rating.

Link https://www.snapdeal.com/product/lg-...ing/1560256762

Last edited by Navneet : 21st February 2017 at 13:00.
Old 21st February 2017, 15:20   #6282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Not correct. I have LG refrigerator above 400 litre with both inverter technology and 4 star rating.

Link https://www.snapdeal.com/product/lg-...ing/1560256762
Thanks. Further research does show some more models in Samsung,LG, Bosch and Hitachi. Limited yes, but there.

These days, guess it is too hard for SA to say - I will find out and get back.
Old 21st February 2017, 18:11   #6283
Senior - BHPian

My 5 year old Aquaguard RO enhance is up for an AMC renewal shortly and I am contemplating if I should renew the AMC or not. What the 2 year AMC costing around 8k gives me is two times filter replacement and 6 free services. Are there better aftermarket options available or I am stuck to the Aquaguard AMC only? So far, I have paid 14k in AMC charges, which is already more than what the unit itself costed when I first brought it. Suggestions please...
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:01   #6284
BHPian

I am returning to India after few years of gap.

Prior leaving I had disposed off all home appliances.

Now would need

Decent size refrigerator
Washing Machine preferably front loading.
1 1 ton A/C
May be a dishwasher

With impending Gudi Padawa, any offers that the forum is aware of on combo purchase?

Would prefer indian brand like Godrej if anthing premium exists.

Rgds.

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 2nd March 2017 at 15:02.
Old 6th March 2017, 22:25   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
So I decided I need some for home. After a lot of research, I settled on Sharp (Blueair was too expensive.) Sharp was proactive and helpful and their distributor Breathe Easy offered good information and support. So I bought two of these machines -- https://www.sharpproducts.in/product...px?cid=6&id=81. Importantly, they have a good HEPA filter and cover a decent area. I feel a difference already, because I sneeze when I step out!
I am looking for air purifier for home now. Can you share your experience with these products please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks