Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2016, 21:26   #6256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my current machine is a samsung 6.2L top loading which i bought for 16K in 2012. I think I will probably get the board replaced
Could you please check and share the washing machine model number.
Let me check if I can help you source one.
Old 30th December 2016, 19:22   #6257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Be persistent like a human. At the end you may have excluded some mosquitoes

Quote:
None of these things (except a force shield, maybe?) can be fully effective: it is just adding layers of defence.
You mean this one: Mosquito Death Ray in Action at TED

Supposedly one such system is nearing commercialization (http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/a...hes-to-market- ) ;

or this:
http://www.popsci.com/robotic-tank-l...ill-mosquitoes

but don't hold your breath.
Old 31st December 2016, 01:46   #6258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You mean this one ...
Oh yay! Robots and mosquito-killer lasers! Yes please

To close to bed time to watch videos right now, but that stuff looks wonderful. Thanks.
Old 1st January 2017, 20:42   #6259
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Panini Sandwich maker. Saw this at a relatives's place and liked it. Has anyone used it before? How is the experience?

Hamilton Beach 25460-IN 1400-Watt Painini Press Gourmet Sandwich Maker
Old 1st January 2017, 22:58   #6260
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your inputs guys. I finally bought a NaGold by Hafele. It's a 4 burner hob and with brass burners, the open mouth kind suitable for our style of cooking.

Nagold is to Hafele what Bosch is to Siemens. Similar models with 1/3rd the price of the stronger brand names.

So far the experience w.r.t. technician visit etc. for marking the counter top for cutting etc. has been good. Will update upon install and a bit of usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I saw all these brands (except whirlpool) as well but the price of Elica was far lower than equivalent in Siemens.

Hey rdst, my Mother wanted only a built in hob, so a hob it had to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Why don't you take a look at cooktops which, when placed properly can achieve the same look as a built-in hob without the inherent issues.
Elica, Kaff & Faber were dropped as they do not have a 'Flame failure device' as standard but offer for one to be installed later on.
Am never comfortable with after install modifications and the FFD is a must have safety device, hence NaGold that offers the feature built in.
Best part is that NaGold is at par with the afore mentioned mass brands price wise. Win Win.

Last edited by khoj : 1st January 2017 at 23:01. Reason: Added Information on a safety feature
Old 9th January 2017, 10:27   #6261
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for an air purifier. I was considering the mi air purifier 2 but it hasn't been available for a while now.
I noticed a brand named Gliese on Amazon. It's suitable for a smaller room and is cheaper RS. 7500. Reviews on Amazon are pretty OK and the replacement filter is also reasonably priced. Do any of you own this?
Old 13th January 2017, 10:45   #6262
BHPian

I purchased a 220V to 4.5V DC adapter for my Sony Bluetooth receiver. On testing the output of the coil based adapter, it was showing me 10.1v. The shop guy insisted that this is correct and under load it will only supply 4.5v and said coil based dc adapters are always this way. Is this correct? I haven't yet hooked it up as I don't want to mess up a 50$ receiver with. 180rs adapter. I tried two of his adapters and both were reading at 10.x volts. The original adapter is rated for a load of 4w and 500ma. So not sure on this. I have many 5v dc adapters at home but didn't want to take a chance and tried to purchase a 4.5v one from the market.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:46   #6263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I purchased a 220V to 4.5V DC adapter for my Sony Bluetooth receiver. On testing the output of the coil based adapter, it was showing me 10.1v. The shop guy insisted that this is correct and under load it will only supply 4.5v and said coil based dc adapters are always this way. Is this correct? I haven't yet hooked it up as I don't want to mess up a 50$ receiver with. 180rs adapter. I tried two of his adapters and both were reading at 10.x volts. The original adapter is rated for a load of 4w and 500ma. So not sure on this. I have many 5v dc adapters at home but didn't want to take a chance and tried to purchase a 4.5v one from the market.
No load voltage can be high for a non regulated power supply. But your BT receiver may not take kindly to it. Chances are it may have an early demise.
Let me suggest a DIY solution (as you are a diyguy) : Take a regulated 5 V Adapter - the kind you use to charge mobiles etc and connect a 1N4007 or similar diode in series with the positive rail to your BT receiver. Your BT receiver will get a steady 4.4V.
The silicon diode drops 0.6 V across it.
Old 14th January 2017, 01:27   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Take a regulated 5 V Adapter - the kind you use to charge mobiles etc and connect a 1N4007 or similar diode in series with the positive rail to your BT receiver. Your BT receiver will get a steady 4.4V.
Thanks much Prowler, will do. I did read about the diode bit but wasn't sure where to pick one up other than Ritchie st in Chennai. Will figure it out, thanks!
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:23   #6265
BHPian

Bought my first front loader from Reliance digital store. It seems to be reliance exclusive as i could not find this model anywhere.

http://www.bosch-home.com/in/product...AT20165IN.html

Total damage of 32990. Comes with 2 years standard warranty & 10 year warranty on motor. Opted for additional 2 years warranty by paying 3000. Guys will deliver machine tomorrow and installation is scheduled for next day.

What all do i need to be careful while getting the machine installed.
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:29   #6266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Bought my first front loader from Reliance digital store.

Make sure the machine is balanced and straight. When you run a spin cycle it should not vibrate or move.
The installation person will probably push to sell a stand, cover, etc. It's your personal choice.
Make sure you have a front load specific washing detergent ready for your first load!
After the install he will hand over a set of plastic thingies that need to be used if you shift the machine to a different house. I believe they prevent the drum from moving and getting damaged during the move. Keep them safe.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:10   #6267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe they prevent the drum from moving and getting damaged during the move. Keep them safe.
Or steel bolts, perhaps with some plastic parts.

They anchor the drum to the case so that it is not free to move on its suspension and shake around in transit. They must be removed before turning the machine on, and they should be kept in case of future moves. I don't mean across the room... but shifting house.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:24   #6268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing much to worry about, the technician takes care of things for you. One thing you can consider purchasing is a V-Guard stabilizer - they have a range suited to high-current equipment like microwaves, washing machines, etc. I bought one of these since voltage fluctuations were apparently responsible for killing the circuitry of my previous (unprotected) LG washing machine.

I picked up a Bosch front-loading washing machine about a year ago, and am happy with it, though a slightly different model, around the same price bracket.

Coming to the machine installation, here in Bangalore the Bosch technician was a friendly, courteous and capable chap - he did the installation, and also did a quick test run - to both verify there's no vibration after levelling off the machine correctly, and to demonstrate the quiet and vibration-free operation of the machine (it was noticeable compared to my earlier LG).

He also advised me against using a stand, and said the washing machine is best sat directly on a floor. The only accessory he offered was a water softener. Since my apartment doesn't have a water softening plant, I opted for it.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:48   #6269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Make sure you have a front load specific washing detergent ready for your first load! .
Thanks for advice. Will keep them in mind while getting installation done. Could you help with few examples please for bold part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Nothing much to worry about, the technician takes care of things for you. One thing you can consider purchasing is a V-Guard stabilizer - they have a range suited to high-current equipment like microwaves, washing machines, etc.
Thanks Arun. Will go ahead & buy one as soon as possible although voltage fluctuations are not here in my side. I see no harm in protecting it.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 22nd January 2017 at 21:50.
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:27   #6270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for advice. Will keep them in mind while getting installation done. Could you help with few examples please for bold part.
Surf Excel and Ariel have specific ones. They are both on sale on Amazon tonight and you can get extra 15% Cashback if you use Amazon pay.

Henko also has an automatic washing machine specific powder.
These lather less and are safer for the front loaders.

Most Viewed