Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2014, 15:36   #4756
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

@tsk1979; My oldest LG refrigerator is over 15 years old, still going strong.
Old 13th November 2014, 13:09   #4757
Senior - BHPian

1. Be careful of using harpic on chromium plated parts, if there is even slightest scratch, it slowly eats up the base metal. Had quite a few taps and grills affected.

2. For chronic hard water areas, an industrial grade RO installed at the point of entrance in the residence is the best option. If interested, search the net. There are plenty of Indian companies selling them.
Old 13th November 2014, 13:21   #4758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tsk1979; My oldest LG refrigerator is over 15 years old, still going strong.
Once upon a time, things used to last. Sadly, the latest stuff from LG/Samsung etc., does not seem built to last. I guess I will look at Siemens.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:01   #4759
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Once upon a time, things used to last. Sadly, the latest stuff from LG/Samsung etc., does not seem built to last. I guess I will look at Siemens.
I have a lot of LG stuff:
2nd Fridge - about 4 years
Microwave - about 18 years
Dishwasher - about 3 years
Washing Machine - about 5 years

One thing I do not buy from Sammy/LG Aircons. I have four - Videocon 2 about 14-15 years each, Hitachi about 3 years and Daikin split about two years!

My son's rented flat has all LG stuff in the kitchen (supplied).
Old 13th November 2014, 14:03   #4760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a lot of LG stuff:
2nd Fridge - about 4 years
Microwave - about 18 years
Dishwasher - about 3 years
Washing Machine - about 5 years

One thing I do not buy from Sammy/LG Aircons. I have four - Videocon 2 about 14-15 years each, Hitachi about 3 years and Daikin split about two years!

My son's rented flat has all LG stuff in the kitchen (supplied).
Thanks. I am not too happy with LG washing machine as the electronic panel is going wonky after 5 years of use. I guess, their refrigerators are better. Samsung, well, the quality is very poor now.
Will check out LG also and see.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:09   #4761
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979 : Do you have a generator which feeds lots of harmonics ? Or a square wave inverter ?

Basically this is one thing which creates hum in motors and destroys the layers of insulation in core and also overheats the capacitors and kills them.

In my apartment the generator backup is for 5Amp line and refrigerator and washing machine runs on 15Amp so they are running for ever.
However capacitors of fans get destroyed in 4-5 years which is think is due to generator.

LG front loading washing machine is going strong for 10+ years ( it was only 7KG model at that time rest were 5 KG)

As for the refrigerators all the refrigerators in our family are everlasting
Kelvinator 35+ years ( given away ) , Samsung ( 15+ years at my parents place) , Samsung 235 litres double door ( 12+ years) , Samsung side door 3XX liters ( 4 -5 years and looks like new)

Samsung Microwave owen is running in 12th year , Magnetron replaced for 1.5K rs after initial 6 years then again 1 year back. Service was good got replacement on same day as we booked the complaint both the times. Since Magnetron cathode is kind of consumable I will not host it against the product.

Failed products :

Siemens front loading washing machine gave lots of troubles and patchy service at my sister's residence in Mumbai was replaced with IFB which was equally unreliable and finally replaced with LG on my recommendation.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th November 2014 at 14:17.
Old 13th November 2014, 15:11   #4762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never get Siemens in refrigerator. They are nowadays made in China with avg quality control.

Samsung in refrigerators still seems to be holding ground but on the whole Samsung is just dropping in service and quality, esp service ever since they outsourced service to a third party. LG is #1 in everything except airconditioners.

Either go for LG or Panasonic. These 2 get repaired really fast incase something goes wrong.
Old 13th November 2014, 15:30   #4763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
@tsk1979 : Do you have a generator which feeds lots of harmonics ? Or a square wave inverter ?
Yes, it kills the fans, but its 500W. I cannot run fridge or any appliance on it.
As for the refrigerators all the refrigerators in our family are everlasting

Quote:
Failed products :

Siemens front loading washing machine gave lots of troubles and patchy service at my sister's residence in Mumbai was replaced with IFB which was equally unreliable and finally replaced with LG on my recommendation.
I guess LG or panasonic it is. I want to stay away from Samsung or Whirpool at this point of time.
Hopefully, there will be some exchange scheme available. The Samsung 11 year old fridge is now leaking water from its orifices, and the entire fridge will have to dismantled, gas removed, refilled. Overall 5000+ due to replacement of whatever things have corroded inside etc., So looking to replace this.
Already spent money on gas refill and some other internal parts few years back.
Old 13th November 2014, 15:48   #4764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Never get Siemens in refrigerator. They are nowadays made in China with avg quality control.
Are you sure about this?

I thought Bosch and Siemens' machines are now made at their Chennai BSH plant.
Old 13th November 2014, 15:56   #4765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samsung, well, the quality is very poor now.
Quote:
Samsung in refrigerators still seems to be holding ground but on the whole Samsung is just dropping in service and quality,
We bought 2 bottom freezer Samsung refrigerators in 2012 (RF67 and RL48). They have given us nothing but trouble and still do. We have an on going fight with Samsung and have pretty much abandoned the brand. Thanks to our experience, our friends and family will never touch a Samsung product again.
Old 13th November 2014, 17:06   #4766
Senior - BHPian

I know a few samsung refrigerator owners with legacy models (top freezer) that are still functioning without missing a beat. Have heard poor reviews about Samsung double door, bottom freezer, multiple shelves refrigerators. People are attracted towards Samsung models in larger capacities and double door models because they are priced much lower than their counterparts, and it is these models that take a beating in reliability.

Last edited by lurker : 13th November 2014 at 17:07.
Old 13th November 2014, 17:52   #4767
BHPian

I have a samsung 310 litre model from 1999. It needs periodic service (every five years or so) to replace some thingy in the top freezer, and the door shelves are not available any more. But it cools really well, the freezer is top class. It's one of the early Made in Korea models. It's now kept in my office to chill drinks and the occasional ice cream.
Thereafter have bought two LG, both top freezer models. One purchased in 2004 is already looking tatty, but has worked well without any service except for a bulb replacement and a broken shelf. The door gasket now needs replacing but LG does not make the part for it anymore so it's probably on its way out soon. Just bought an LG 4 star 310 model, and very impressed. Noiseless and good looking.
All my fridges and a/c are working without stabilisers btw, haven't had one since 1995.
Old 13th November 2014, 20:52   #4768
BHPian

I owned a LG fridge for 11 years when we upgraded to higher capacity Bosch due to family needs. The LG was still working.
But it is only after we started using our Bosch fridge that we realised how ineffective the LG was in cooling. Cooked food often got spoilt the next day, fresh vegetables never lasted for even a week. Water never got as chilled as we wanted. And all through those 11 years, we were happy that it is serving without any trouble
So basically, my experience is that though LG will surely "last" long (and probably provide good after sales service), but wont perform as good as the German brands.
Even our LG microwave conked off after 9 years (it was cheaper to get a new one than repairing it).
Also, now happily using a Siemens w/m after suffering an IFB for 10 years.

Last edited by anuragn : 13th November 2014 at 20:57.
Old 13th November 2014, 21:56   #4769
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know a few samsung refrigerator owners with legacy models (top freezer) that are still functioning without missing a beat. Have heard poor reviews about Samsung double door, bottom freezer, multiple shelves refrigerators. People are attracted towards Samsung models in larger capacities and double door models because they are priced much lower than their counterparts, and it is these models that take a beating in reliability.

Not really. At the time of our purchase there were 2 Panasonic bottom freezers that were priced lower but having had good experience with Samsung in the past we preferred a better established brand.
Old 14th November 2014, 09:41   #4770
BANNED

@tsk1979; My son bought a 450+litre Panasonic in Manipal about 2-1/2 years back. It was not cooling properly. This had been arranged by an uncle of his wife a big shot in Future Group. Three visits but mechanic could not fix it. To my wife he said that he does not know much Hindi and English. My dil who is a Kannadiga could not get too tough with him, esp with mil around. Then my son was at home during one of his visits. He is reasonably fluent in Kannada. So he read the chap the riot act in 'colloquial' Kannada, I bet the chap never expected this from a North Indian. All of a sudden he remembered both his English and Hindi. The inverter card was changed and things are kosher ever since even though they have moved to Gurgaon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks