Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2015, 17:40   #4876
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Bought the brand 'Glen' recently and am satisfied.
You can also buy this brand from their online site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I purchased an Elica 4 burner hob and fitted legs to use as a stove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Using Prestige 3 burner cooktop, stainless steel one,for the past 11years. No problem till date. Easy to disassemble and clean in case of any spills.
Thank you for your kind suggestions people. I brought the Prestige Two Burner Stove (SS). It cost Rs. 1640 after discounts.

Went for this option as I didn't find much use for the third burner since the maid cooks once a day for lunch and dinner. The old two burner lasted more than 10 years. Hoping for similar service this time too.

The dealer was very near my home as was the service center too. This tilted the decision in Prestige's favor over Butterfly/Premier brands.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:46   #4877
BHPian

My two year Samsung old dish washer went kaput. The water spray arm locks into a water inlet spout using a plastic ring which broke when my wife removed it for cleaning. The ring alone broke. We were quoted 3500 for complete replacement of the two pieces in the picture. Since we have Croma extended warranty we were then asked to raise a complaint through Croma and as a result the dish washer is lying unused for the past one week. Croma as usual are sitting on it and I guess a visit and some screaming will be necessitated.
We use the washer twice daily and its a pain when such delays happen. Cautioning other users on removal and fitment of the spray arms to avoid expensive repairs.The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421306159.612899.jpg
Old 15th January 2015, 12:55   #4878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We use the washer twice daily and its a pain when such delays happen. Cautioning other users on removal and fitment of the spray arms to avoid expensive repairs.
Sorry to hear the plight. I have had my dishwasher down for about a month once and I know the exact feeling.
Try giving it a life by sticking the plastic lock by araldite. In the mean while, try to arrange for the arm. By the way, I think that you can continue using the dishwasher for the rack for which the arm is working.
Old 15th January 2015, 13:21   #4879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sorry to hear the plight. I have had my dishwasher down for about a month once and I know the exact feeling.
Try giving it a life by sticking the plastic lock by araldite. In the mean while, try to arrange for the arm. By the way, I think that you can continue using the dishwasher for the rack for which the arm is working.

Unfortunately my wife misplaced the broken ring or it was taken away by the samsung service technician who visited home initially to provide the quote. Will try now to use the lower portion as that arm is still intact!

Last edited by diyguy : 15th January 2015 at 13:27.
Old 16th January 2015, 10:10   #4880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Wanted to buy two Racold storage water heater(geyser) 10L model. Wanted to know if any bhpians have any discount coupons.
http://www.amazon.in/Racold-10-Water...old+10l+geyser
Ramki
Ramki,

Did you purchase the water heater ?

I am in a dilemma whether to go for the regular storage water heater or "instant water heater ". Still trying to understand the pro's and con's of the same.

Understand that the instant water heater will give limited quantity of water to use in bucket for bathing, and because of its design functionality might consume more power.

Can bhpians shed light on this aspect if anyone is using the same ?

Appreciate your help
Old 16th January 2015, 10:39   #4881
Senior - BHPian

@lambuhere1; Go for storage. Instant can be tricky, high load (4kW) and are pretty dicey. I got one but then passed it on to a friend. He ultimately put it in the Kitchen. If you happen to be in the North than with input at say 4-5C the acceptable flow may be too slow. Right I have no idea where you are.
Old 16th January 2015, 11:50   #4882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I am in a dilemma whether to go for the regular storage water heater or "instant water heater ". Still trying to understand the pro's and con's of the same.Appreciate your help
If you are in south and also have a solar heater installed, would advise you to go for instant water heater. The hot water from solar has to fill the entire storage heater(25 lts) and then it will be on the tap. It is wastage of water and also the power. The instant water heater, will be of 1 - 3 lts capacity and would not take much time for water from solar to be on tap. The cons for instant water heater would be power load(> =3KW) and also availability of power.
Old 16th January 2015, 15:47   #4883
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have a solar water heater, you should only need any other sort of heating on the days when there is just not enough sunlight. I know Bangalore's climate is a little less ferocious, but our solar heater in Chennai produces amply hot enough water on all but a few days of the year, and scalding water on most.

I have wondered about fitting an instant heater in one bathroom to take care of those few days (I detest cold showers) but, frankly, they are so few that heating water on the stove and carrying a bucket is really not a problem. Of course, it is not very instant!
Old 20th January 2015, 11:34   #4884
BHPian

Quote:
My two year Samsung old dish washer went kaput. The water spray arm locks into a water inlet spout using a plastic ring which broke when my wife removed it for cleaning. The ring alone broke. We were quoted 3500 for complete replacement of the two pieces in the picture. Since we have Croma extended warranty we were then asked to raise a complaint through Croma and as a result the dish washer is lying unused for the past one week. Croma as usual are sitting on it and I guess a visit and some screaming will be necessitated.
The much vaunted Croma extended warranty is under the scanner now. Today after 10 days they tell us broken parts are not covered under extended warranty. This is the last time I shop at Croma. It is best to put the extra money into AMC with the manufacturer than go with this extended warranty which is an eyewash now anyway. Guys beware. I understand where they are coming from but this wash arm has to be removed and cleaned regularly and if it is prone to breaking the material should be of better quality.
Old 20th January 2015, 12:59   #4885
Distinguished - BHPian

Glass Stove Top Warning

There are many, many glass-top stoves in use, and I have never heard of this happening before, so my strong belief is that it was caused by an installation problem such as fitting into a hole that did not allow expansion space, or perhaps the top was cemented, which also would have restricted expansion.

I went to a house-warming puja on Sunday morning. The brand-new, very smart (I don't have the brand) 5-burner, fitted stove top had been used for boiling the milk, and a cook was making chapatis. By a happy chance she had been called away to take some part in the puja when we heard a bang. The front part of the stove had shattered, scattering glass fragments.

As I say, I do not know the brand. Maybe there are unsafe ones. Maybe, like phone screens, some are more fragile than others. Obviously, glass of almost any kind is more fragile than, for instance, steel.

What I feel is important is that people selecting stoves with glass tops should study the installation instructions, and make sure that the installers follow them exactly.

I don't see why a highly-reputed brand, installed correctly, should not be 100% safe. I do not know what caused this incident --- but it could have cause serious injury or blinding.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:17   #4886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Glass Stove Top Warning
I don't see why a highly-reputed brand, installed correctly, should not be 100% safe. I do not know what caused this incident --- but it could have cause serious injury or blinding.
This is scary. I got a glass cook top and installed legs myself and have been using it for the past 8 months or so. Am using it in a configuration that it shouldnt normally be used though the dealer himself sold me the legs to use as a stove instead of a cooktop.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:21   #4887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you have a solar water heater,

they are so few that heating water on the stove and carrying a bucket is really not a problem. Of course, it is not very instant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
If you are in south and also have a solar heater installed, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@lambuhere1; Go for storage. Instant can be tricky, high load (4kW) and are pretty dicey.
Thanks guys for all your inputs. I don't have solar water heater with me now.

Sometimes, I do use the option of heating water on stove when power is not there.

Will definitely go for storage water heater one.

Preferably RACOLD.
Old 25th January 2015, 15:35   #4888
BHPian

Hi BHPians,
Need inputs regarding the purchase of a large washing machine.

1. What is the practical difference between a 7 kg and an 8kg Front load washing machine.
2. IFB has 4 years comprehensive warrranty + 10 year spare parts support.seems like the best in the market.Any thoughts?

3. Im tilting towards Bosch 7kg VS IFB 7KG/8KG

4. Any thoughts about commercial ,machines by IFB?

5.Any other brands that are better built?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th January 2015 at 07:35. Reason: typo
Old 25th January 2015, 15:47   #4889
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can afford the high prices, stay German --- with Bosch, Siemens.
Old 25th January 2015, 19:45   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Hi BHPians,
Need inputs regarding the purchase of a large washing machine.

1. What ifs the practical difference between a 7 kg and an 8kg Front load washing machine.
2. IFB has 4 years comprehensive warrranty + 10 year spare parts support.seems like the best in the market.Any thoughts?

3. Im tilting towards Bosch 7kg VS IFB 7KG/8KG

4. Any thoughts about commercial ,machines by IFB?

5.Any other brands that are better built?
It all depends on the maximum load you can envisage. For clothes f a small to medium sized family, 5 or 6 kg is ideal. If you have large heavy items like blanket or dhurries, then only you need a large capacity machine.

Just keep in mind that a small load is not as efficient; in terms of water, soap and power usage; as an optimum load (70-90%) of the rated capacity). In our case we have a 6kg LG, which is ideal for daily loads. When we have more we just run it two and rarely three times a day. There are some items like blankets and dhurries which require a bigger machine as the volume capacity of the LG does not allow these items in, while our IFB did. We did find that for these we will need an 8 or 9 kg LG machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks