Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 10:12   #4741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I generally add a cup of vinegar during an empty running load in my front loader to de-scale it. Otherwise, de-scaling powder is available for 150 (or 200) bucks at IFB.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th November 2014 at 10:13.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:01   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Any recommended brands? We face a lot of problem due to scaling in our washing appliances as well as on tiles, etc. Are there any chemicals that can be used to remove scales from tiles as well?
Hi moralfibre,

I use "Scalegon" for descaling my Washing machine (LG front load) once in 45 days. I generally buy it from ebay link here

For the tiles and other kitchen equipment like hob, chimney I use "Cif" an Hindustan Unilever product. You can get this in any decent provisional store.

Hope this helps!
Old 10th November 2014, 18:32   #4743
BANNED

For hob etc I find Blue Harpic pretty effective.
Old 10th November 2014, 22:38   #4744
BHPian

Re: LED bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I am looking to buy a couple of LED bulbs for my home. Will a 5 watt bulb be enough? I am looking for a soft lighting option and not too bright. Should be equivalent to a regular 40 watt bulb or a 11 watt cfl.
It's probably a bit too late, and you might have already purchased the bulbs, but I expect a 5W bulb to be a little too dim (~350 lumens for Philips) compared to a 40W incandescent (~500 lumens) or an 11W CFL (~600 lumens). A 7W or 7.5W LED should be closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
... remember LEDs are in cool daylight, warm daylight and warm colours. For domestic use prefer the latter two!
If by "warm daylight" you meant 4000K colour temperature, I'd be interested to know where I can find such LED bulbs. AFAIK, Indian suppliers (Philips, Havells, ...) only market cool white (6500K) and, sometimes, warm white (2700K). I've had hard time finding even the warm white kind for all wattages (even in Philips showrooms)!
Old 10th November 2014, 23:05   #4745
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a couple of LED floodlights recently. We had a high-power thing with a tube in it that was as hungry for electricity as an AC machine, and which had also been badly eclipsed by a new car port. In monsoon times, we do sometimes need to work in the garden at night. With the road built higher, our garden has become a tank, so we have installed a pump to empty it, hopefully making sure that it stays out of the house.

I had been thinking that I might need something like 100W, but I bought one 30W and one 20W for trial. The 30W is plenty for lighting up the drive, gate, pumping area; the 20W is plenty for casting a lower light on the rest of the garden. Not very bright, but enough, for instance, to spot an intruder (usually, they have four legs: somehow dogs occasionally jump in, and are then baffled as to how to get out again).

This is nameless Chinese stuff from a local lighting shop. For as long as it goes on working... I'm happy. In fact, I'm very pleased with it, and want to fit some more, eg for terrace lighting.

I'm yet to try LEDs for interior lighting, but quite looking forward to it.
Old 11th November 2014, 11:52   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Any recommended brands? We face a lot of problem due to scaling in our washing appliances as well as on tiles, etc. Are there any chemicals that can be used to remove scales from tiles as well?
For washing machine - IFB descaling powder does the job.

For cleaning tiles - Regular (blue) Harpic is very effective. But recently Harpic has also launched a red Harpic especially for cleaning tiles etc. You may give it a try.

Mr Muscle Scale remover spray also comes handy for removing scales.

Rohan
Old 11th November 2014, 12:51   #4747
BANNED

I also heard that many LEDs are pretty inefficient, hardly better than CFLs. I hear 70 lumens per watt is the minimum required.
Old 11th November 2014, 16:01   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Are the safes available in the market fire proof? I am looking for something to store important documents and stuff. Don't need theft protection, just safeguard from the elements.
Old 11th November 2014, 16:41   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Are the safes available in the market fire proof? I am looking for something to store important documents and stuff. Don't need theft protection, just safeguard from the elements.
Did you try Godrej?

A quick Google got me this URL.
http://www.godrej.com/godrej/gss_sin...frfc_frfc.html
Old 11th November 2014, 22:20   #4750
Senior - BHPian

Tried blue harpic on my taps and hobs and was impressed with the results. I now smell like a toilet but the taps are sparkling!
Let's see if my wife notices (the sparkle and the smell)
Old 11th November 2014, 23:07   #4751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tried blue harpic on my taps and hobs and was impressed with the results. I now smell like a toilet but the taps are sparkling!
Harpic is quite good for removing scales on the taps and shower. My maid uses it once a month to even clean the tiles in the bathroom since they get scaled lightly. Our water supply is a little hard so this is a routine. However be careful with sensitive surfaces apart from glass, ceramic and test it on metals before you gun it!
Old 12th November 2014, 08:18   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
For hob etc I find Blue Harpic pretty effective.
Blue Harpic works well, but I do not like the smell (kitchen smells like toilet).
Cif is pretty neutral and does not have strong odour and I use quite regularly.

Quote:
I agree mate.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:23   #4753
Team-BHP Support

Planning to go for a new fridge. After owning a few korean products(LG/Samsung etc.,) ranging from Washing machines to Air conditioners, I have come to the conclusion that they are built to last 4-5 years at most. Rubbish QC.
Our 40 year old Kelvinator works better than a 10 year old samsung/whirpool etc.,

Does anybody make build to last home appliances anymore? I am okay with paying 4-5K more, but want something that does not leak gas every 5 years.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:50   #4754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does anybody make build to last home appliances anymore? I am okay with paying 4-5K more, but want something that does not leak gas every 5 years.
Try Godrej. I have owned one for several years. No complaints.
And they have a very responsive home care.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:57   #4755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Planning to go for a new fridge. After owning a few korean products(LG/Samsung etc.,) ranging from Washing machines to Air conditioners, I have come to the conclusion that they are built to last 4-5 years at most. Rubbish QC.
Our 40 year old Kelvinator works better than a 10 year old samsung/whirpool etc.,

Using Panasonic for last 2.5 years. Though it has still to undergo the test of time, but surely it feels much better built than the regular LGs & Samsungs. The finish quality is great. And the bottom freezer is a boon and so practical.

Sharp is another very reputed brand when it comes to refrigerators & televisions.

Regards,
Saket

Most Viewed