Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2016, 13:49   #6241
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Guys better to install a 3 litre instant geyser for immediate hot water or install a 15 litre regular geyser and turn it on 15 min before washing dishes?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Depends on how cold the water is?
In Chandigarh we used to use an instant geyser. The same turned out to be ineffective in Himachal so shifted to a 6L regular geyser which works fine for our use.
Well I live in Delhi. What do most members suggest for climate of this style?

Thanks.
Old 18th December 2016, 14:23   #6242
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I am looking to buy a four burner built in hob with maximum cut out dimensions of 60cm 60cm. Fuel will be piped natural gas, any recommendations on makes & models and suggestions/pointers on what to look out for.
Faber and Elica are good based on my experience (they're the same company/group too but Elica is projected as a premium brand).
There are others like Glen which you can also take a look at mainly to compare against Faber/Elica.
Of course there are other premium/international brands as well if you have the budget.
Old 18th December 2016, 17:52   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Well I live in Delhi. What do most members suggest for climate of this style?

Thanks.
Instant geyser should be fine, if you don't wait for the sink to be filled and wash the utensils after every meal.
Old 18th December 2016, 18:34   #6244
Distinguished - BHPian

I am thinking of installing an air-curtain machine outside the front grill gate, to deter mosquitoes.

Never seen one in domestic context before. Any experience?
Old 19th December 2016, 11:39   #6245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsithan View Post
Ultra is my choice. I bought one for my mom and it is working pretty well for last 5 years. My mom uses it everyday.
I have bought the same and it is going good for 3 years now. It has a timer too.
Thanks kmsithan. Is ultra itself a brand or is it the model name?
Old 19th December 2016, 12:22   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Thanks kmsithan. Is ultra itself a brand or is it the model name?
Ultra is the brand. Our old one was working for more than 20 years and we have just now replaced it with another Ultra
Old 27th December 2016, 20:31   #6247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get a LG 7.0 kg top loading washing machine.
It's got one of the best wash performance backed up with tremendous service backup.
Does it have to be the 7Kg variant, or a 6.2 will have the same features?
Old 27th December 2016, 22:16   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Does it have to be the 7Kg variant, or a 6.2 will have the same features?
Yes there are many models in 7.0 kg (Model no T8077 and T8067)

6.5 kg Model no T7577 has exactly the same features.

6.2 kg will be structurally different.
Old 27th December 2016, 23:54   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am thinking of installing an air-curtain machine outside the front grill gate, to deter mosquitoes.

Interesting! Google gave me this http://www.airtecnics.com/news/air-curtains-against-insects-or-fly-fans

I suspect that mosquitoes may be deterred, but a significant number will make their way in anyway. The air curtain is more likely to be effective against larger insects.
Old 28th December 2016, 06:23   #6250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Our neighborhood is guarded with a mosquito factory & several breeding centers where they're farmed in their own sophisticated environment & they always raid the entire neighborhood for weed...err...blood

Mosquitoes are deeply in love with both Daughter & I for some unknown reasons & they dislike all other family members. Last April, when we painted our house, we had a terrible time & we had lost sleep for over a month & that had profound impact on my entire attitude!!

Finally we decided to safeguard with Saint Gobain washable mesh for all the Windows & steel mesh for the front & back doors. But you're welcome to use doors & windows from Fenesta or other leading brands if you prefer because they can help with balconies as well, if you have one. They're one time investment & seldom require any maintenance...may be cleaning once every 6 months or so that's all.

Net result? During the Vardah days, most people couldn't sleep due to lack of power as well as mosquitoes but we were blessed not to have mosquitoes.

Point - singatha vala pottu pidippoam, kosuvukku bayandhu naama dhaan valaikulla povoam
Old 28th December 2016, 09:42   #6251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Mosquitoes are deeply in love with both Daughter & I for some unknown reasons & they dislike all other

...steel mesh for the front & back doors.

...we were blessed not to have mosquitoes.

Point - singatha vala pottu pidippoam, kosuvukku bayandhu naama dhaan valaikulla povoam

I can empathize - I get bitten all the time
I hope you meant "Stainless Steel" mesh - and go for the finest size. (preferably installed at all entry points, though fibreglass is supposed to be as good).

Unfortunately, some of these pesky creatures do manage to get in and bite anyway and I think this quote is as appropriate as yours:

Quote:
“Be persistent like a mosquito, at the end you will get your bite”
Bangambiki Habyarimana, Pearls Of Eternity
Old 28th December 2016, 13:22   #6252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes there are many models in 7.0 kg (Model no T8077 and T8067)

6.5 kg Model no T7577 has exactly the same features.

6.2 kg will be structurally different.
Thanks!

I'm still in two minds about replacement vs repair. The machine is 4 years old, and I have been given a quote of 5K for the board replacement.

Seems some components blew up damaging the board - My concern here is that it might be indicative of a short or a downstream damage that might not be solved with a board replacement (i have a fair amount of experience repairing electronics, mostly audio equipment) I would have tried to repair the board myself if it hadnt been potted in epoxy

on the other hand, generally I prefer repairing stuff, and 5K seems a reasonable quote compared to the 15-20K i might need to spend for a new item
Old 28th December 2016, 14:07   #6253
Distinguished - BHPian

Be persistent like a human. At the end you may have excluded some mosquitoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Finally we decided to safeguard with Saint Gobain washable mesh for all the Windows & steel mesh for the front & back doors. But you're welcome to use doors & windows from Fenesta or other leading brands if you prefer because they can help with balconies as well, if you have one. They're one time investment & seldom require any maintenance...may be cleaning once every 6 months or so that's all
We do. We had a sprung roll-to-one-side net-door system, but the net is prone to damage and only lasts a few years. We were finding the time between replacements getting less and replaced it with an Ekran net-door.

When it is closed, of course mosquitoes cannot get in --- but, sadly, doors are made to walk through, so it cannot possibly be closed all the time . The mosquitoes sit on it, and fly in when it is opened.

I suspect that an air curtain would really deter them from reaching the net itself. However, I think the machine may be expensive to buy, which I do not mind, and quite expensive on electricity consumption, which I do.

Subject to further enquiries on this one, my plans B and C are...

B: install an ordinary fan close to the outside of the doorway. I'm sure this wouldn't be as effective as the jet of an air curtain, but I think it will deter the monsters.

C: install an industrial-strength plastic-strip curtain. This will be a bit of a nuisance as it will require some industrial strength every time we walk through it!

No doubt, the mossies will still come and sit on the plastic strips, but at least it will not be fully opened for human entry/exit.

None of these things (except a force shield, maybe?) can be fully effective: it is just adding layers of defence.

All our windows are fully covered.
Old 28th December 2016, 15:12   #6254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Thanks!

I'm still in two minds about replacement vs repair. The machine is 4 years old, and I have been given a quote of 5K for the board replacement.

What machine is it ?
LG Top loading or Front loading ?
Old 28th December 2016, 15:31   #6255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What machine is it ?
LG Top loading or Front loading ?
my current machine is a samsung 6.2L top loading which i bought for 16K in 2012. I think I will probably get the board replaced

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks