Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 19:14   #6091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
I had been in Leeds for an year. ... ... ... In a country like UK where there is lot of regulations for food, drinking water as well will be equally good i believe.
Equally good, in that one should be able to take a glassful from any [mains-supplied] tap and drink it down, but very different in ways such as mineral-content. Hardness or softness completely different according to area.

London, very hard. Cornwall, where my family lived, very soft. I would go and visit, use the "usual" amount of soap on my hands, and spend the next several minutes washing the lather off. Tasted different too!
Old 9th August 2016, 18:56   #6092
BANNED

Thad, yes Reading used to be quite hard. However, anywhere in the UK you can drink the stuff straight out of the tap. In case you have not noticed the kitchen mixer tap has to separate lines (hot and cold) and the water only mixes at the point of exiting the faucet.
Old 9th August 2016, 23:08   #6093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In case you have not noticed the kitchen mixer tap has to separate lines (hot and cold) and the water only mixes at the point of exiting the faucet.
It is a legal requirement. It prevents hot water, which may have been tainted in the houshold system, or even have been held in a tank, feeding back into the main.

I think that a lot of what we see here in India is not scale, which is lime, but other substances, ranging from iron to dirt. Yes, all taps in this house will get stained if not wiped dry every time, and will eventually get covered in a brown deposit.

If anybody uses an electric kettle, they will know if they have hard water: if so, then kettles get lime-scale deposit quite quickly.
Old 10th August 2016, 01:36   #6094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I don't have a pantry at work and would like to keep a machine in my cabin.
if you want to avoid hassle of cleaning etc, you can consider these premixed satchets of 3in1 or 2in1 types of coffee. They are pretty good and can be an alternate to freshly brewed coffee. Just add hot water!The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1470773145.488691.jpg
Old 10th August 2016, 07:50   #6095
BANNED

@Thad; Yes, but this legal requirement in specific to the UK. Reading has hardness due to lime (Thames flows over a bed of lime). In IIT we had hard water, but was safe to drink. In my 37 plus years we never used any filters. Water supply was (is no longer so) all from deep tube wells. However, when we moved to our own house in 2001 even though we were probably drawing from the same aquifer, due to a cascade of two storage tanks we had to install a UV based filter. We have not gone RO since we do not like to waste water.
Old 10th August 2016, 16:25   #6096
BHPian

Guys,

I am looking to buy the following for my apartment. Request your inputs:

(1) RO Water purifier - which one should I go for? How much litres of storage is required for family of 3-4 persons? Just saw there is a discount on flipkart on this kent model -> https://www.flipkart.com/kent-ace-7-...bc08496f8fc4_1. Any first hand reviews?

(2) Microwave oven - Planning to buy a 25-28L microwave. Any recommendations?

(3) Chimney & Hob - Budgeting about 20k-22k for both of them combined. What do you suggest?

(4) Split AC - Have shortlisted Daikin or Mitsubishi. Which one is better?

(5) Ceiling fans - the current ones from orient are noisy. Which one should we go for? Are havells fan good?
Old 12th August 2016, 11:18   #6097
BHPian

Replying as i am looking for few of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Guys,

I am looking to buy the following for my apartment. Request your inputs:

(1) RO Water purifier - which one should I go for? How much litres of storage is required for family of 3-4 persons? Just saw there is a discount on flipkart on this kent model -> https://www.flipkart.com/kent-ace-7-...bc08496f8fc4_1. Any first hand reviews?

-->Purifier is one thing for which i didn't see a 100% satisfied reviews online from any of the brand. Kent would be good. In case of multiple water source such as bore and tanker, then the TDS controller wont adjust itself. And check the voltage range of operation. It may fail in areas of frequent voltage changes. These are based on the discussion with various sales agents

(3) Chimney & Hob - Budgeting about 20k-22k for both of them combined. What do you suggest?
--> Would suggest elica based on my experience. 20-22 is enough to get one of the basic chimney and a 3 burner hob. If you are going for designer ones elica have some good models at affordable range

(5) Ceiling fans - the current ones from orient are noisy. Which one should we go for? Are havells fan good?
-->Using havells. Service was good in Bangalore so far. 3 of the fans i took out of 5 were having alignment problem and they promptly came and service. One of them was making noise occasionally and i took a video of that to and shown the service engineer to get it rectified.
Old 12th August 2016, 14:23   #6098
BHPian

Quote:
Replying as i am looking for few of them
Thanks a ton. I got the Elica chimney + hub for 25k this morning.

For water purifier, I am very confused. Planning to visit few stores and see it for myself.
Old 12th August 2016, 15:21   #6099
BHPian

Quote:
For water purifier, I am very confused. Planning to visit few stores and see it for myself.
I haven't bought one for myself. So share your observations. I am using Bislery now. Uncertainty on my abroad travel planes are delaying it
Old 13th August 2016, 12:57   #6100
Senior - BHPian

I bought a LG machine purely based on the fact that this is the only machine that offers internal storage tank made from passivated steel, rest offer plastic.

Quote:
Old 13th August 2016, 15:59   #6101
BANNED

Quote:

(1) RO Water purifier - which one should I go for? How much litres of storage is required for family of 3-4 persons? Just saw there is a discount on flipkart on this kent model -> [url]https://www.flipkart.com/kent-ace-7-l-ro-uf-water-purifier/p/itme9afvbgrzsvjr?Any first hand reviews?

(2) Microwave oven - Planning to buy a 25-28L microwave. Any recommendations?

(4) Split AC - Have shortlisted Daikin or Mitsubishi. Which one is better?

1. My son recently changed flats in Gurugram. We had Kent in the rented flat, and have now opted for a ZeroB. Both under sink units. Why the latter, we had minor breakdowns in the Kent starting at the two year point. Ion-exchange are supposed to be more durable.

2. Go for a Microwave with grill (infrared). I have been using one for well over 15 years. I prefer LG due to the Infrared grill. Fast start and cooling.

4. Both are excellent. Check locally about service. Make sure you get R410a or R32 and not R22.

5. We have been partial to Crompton for over 50 years. Havells should be good. Recently, I have seen BLDC (brushless DC) units with a low consumption becoming available. These have a cordless remote as part of the system. Havells should also be fine.
Old 15th August 2016, 11:22   #6102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that a lot of what we see here in India is not scale, which is lime, but other substances, ranging from iron to dirt. Yes, all taps in this house will get stained if not wiped dry every time, and will eventually get covered in a brown deposit.
Here are some pics of my tap before and after polishing. I polish the taps every 2-3 weeks. Cleaning with dry cloth is not helping much and i am using a polish sold by jaquar. I believe these are lime scales. Over time this will grow and a layer of white coating will cover the tap.This tap is used inside bathroom and used hardly. I considered descaling for machine as same way i see here, inside of the machine as well will be covered with lime scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. My son recently changed flats in Gurugram. We had Kent in the rented flat, and have now opted for a ZeroB. Both under sink units. Why the latter, we had minor breakdowns in the Kent starting at the two year point. Ion-exchange are supposed to be more durable.
This thread is really becoming a single checkpoint for all home appliance related knowledge for me now.
Ion-exchange is relatively new in market? I haven't hear about this. Will start my search on this. Meanwhile can you share other brands which offer this technology in purifiers. Only issue about ZeroB i am seeing in amazon and other places is about service. Otherwise its a superb brand.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0073min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0074min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0076min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0077min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0080min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0081min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0082min.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-_dsc0083min.jpg  

Old 15th August 2016, 11:35   #6103
BANNED

Quote:

Ion-exchange is relatively new in market? I haven't hear about this. Will start my search on this. Meanwhile can you share other brands which offer this technology in purifiers. Only issue about ZeroB i am seeing in amazon and other places is about service. Otherwise its a superb brand.
They are established water treatment professionals for donkeys years. ZeroB and Kent have parallel ranges. Only ZeroB prefers Iodine for polishing instead of UV. We have water purifier thread on this Forum, and there was a discussion about the merit of Kent v ZeroB v Eureka almost in the beginning. At the end of the day there are only one (or maybe two) sources for the membranes and are used by all, so the issue boils down to service and reliability. Most independents handle Kent, ZeroB and Eureka Forbes. So if you go independent then the service you get will be very similar.
Old 15th August 2016, 16:58   #6104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics of my tap before and after polishing. I polish the taps every 2-3 weeks. Cleaning with dry cloth is not helping much and i am using a polish sold by jaquar. I believe these are lime scales. Over time this will grow and a layer of white coating will cover the tap.This tap is used inside bathroom and used hardly. I considered descaling for machine as same way i see here, inside of the machine as well will be covered with lime scales.

This thread is really becoming a single checkpoint for all home appliance related knowledge for me now.
Could well be lime-scale. Same thing happens to my taps, and they will turn brown. When I remember, I wipe them down after every use, so the water doesn't get to dry on them.

Ion Exchange has been around a while. Our machine isone of theirs. Zero B is their name.
Old 16th August 2016, 08:42   #6105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello!

Weigh your options and let us know if you want more details of DWs.

Regards,
Saket
Hi Saket,

Sorry that I am quoting an old post of yours. We plan to buy a dish washer while moving to our new house towards the end of this year. More than anything else, I am looking for this option to reduce dependency on maids and also feel its a lot hygienic than just allowing the soiled dishes wait in the sink till maid comes.

However I have read at many places that dish washers are not suitable for our Indian style cooking. You seem to have been using it for some time now and would request if you could share some insight into your experience.

As I said I am not really looking for this option as a financially sound one as compared to having a maid, but more from a convenience and hygienic point of view.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks