Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 09:39   #6106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi Saket,

Sorry that I am quoting an old post of yours. We plan to buy a dish washer while moving to our new house towards the end of this year. More than anything else, I am looking for this option to reduce dependency on maids and also feel its a lot hygienic than just allowing the soiled dishes wait in the sink till maid comes.
Hello!

Its now been around 4 years since we have completely moved to a DW. I would say that it is a very useful household equipment which reduces your dependency on maids, gives you time flexibility, its hygienic and moreover, gives you extra quality time which you save from doing dishes otherwise!

Regarding the wash quality, it depends a lot on how well you load the dishes inside the machine. With time it can be learnt easily. Indian style cooking- I would say that usual frying pots and pans come out clean enough, however, slightly burnt oil and stuff leftover on kadhaai's and pots will not be cleaned well. Also, utensils with smaller mouth and having larger base (comparatively to top) will also not be cleaned well as water spray will not reach some areas. No problem with other sort of utensils like thalis, glasses, spoons, katoras, saucepans, pans etc.
If you are okay with above, then don't wait- just get it. Just bear in mind the cost of consumables like DW salt, rinse aid and detergents or a 3 in 1 tablet.
Regards.
Old 16th August 2016, 10:12   #6107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. My son recently changed flats in Gurugram. We had Kent in the rented flat, and have now opted for a ZeroB. Both under sink units. Why the latter, we had minor breakdowns in the Kent starting at the two year point. Ion-exchange are supposed to be more durable.

2. Go for a Microwave with grill (infrared). I have been using one for well over 15 years. I prefer LG due to the Infrared grill. Fast start and cooling.

4. Both are excellent. Check locally about service. Make sure you get R410a or R32 and not R22.

5. We have been partial to Crompton for over 50 years. Havells should be good. Recently, I have seen BLDC (brushless DC) units with a low consumption becoming available. These have a cordless remote as part of the system. Havells should also be fine.
Thanks for the feedback. Let me check out these products in the market
Old 16th August 2016, 10:48   #6108
Senior - BHPian

I just moved to my new house a couple of months ago. This involved purchasing some new appliances and furniture, since I had existing stuff which was purchased when I was single and of lower perceived quality. Am listing these and the experience associated with these for the benefit of all. Pardon the long post.
1. Washing Machine: Purchased Bosch WAK24268 IN front load. Cost some 28k change after cashback and discounts on Paytm. Except for a low water pressure error which I experienced on 2 occasions (this seems to be reported on some online forums as well), this is a good machine to have. Good quality wash and low electricity, water and soap consumption. I had a Godrej fully auto Top load earlier which was working well for close to 8 years, wanted to try out a Front load.
2. Gas cook top: Purchased Prestige GTM04 glass cook top with 4 burners and black colour. Cost 4.7k. This is going well too and good for the price.
3. Tubelights: Wipro Garnet 20W LED tubelights. Good light output and costs 550 to 600 each. Similarly replaced all CFL in bathrooms and balconies with LED bulbs
4. Bed: Seesham Wood king size cots from Pepperfry. Except for the long time taken to deliver (4-6 weeks) found no issue as such.
5. Mattress: Wake-fit hard-soft mattress king size. Using these for over two months and worth the money. Good customer support as well. Cost 14 k each (78X72) and made of foam. Both sides usable with differing levels of softness. This is a good brand and worth trying.
6. Aircon: I bought a Voltas 1.2 T inverter ac for 33k on Snapdeal. We use it sparingly and performance so far has been ok. Other options on my radar for future purchases are Bluestar and Mitsubishi
7. Fridge: I already had a whirlpool 410 litre in which we replaced the PCB and made it a thermostat running one. Over 4 years old going ok. But I will not buy a whirlpool ever again as their fridges seem to have a peculiar PCB issue which crops up after 2 years.
8. Fans: I researched online and bought Superfan. These cost Rs.3600 each i.e. twice the regular cromptons and havells, but run at half wattage (35 watts compared to 65-70 watts of the conventional one). It also comes in different colours and with its own remote. Seems fine so far, will need to re-check the effectiveness in Summers. In the 3 weeks of hard summer in Bangalore, I felt it was inadequate. We stay on the top floor with a terrace above our apartment.
9. TV: Had a Toshiba 32 inch LED 2.5 yrs old going fine so far.
10. Geysers: Bought AO smith 5 star storage water heaters of 25 Litre (8.1K) and 15 litre (7.3K) from Amazon. These are effective and need to be switched on for 20-25 minutes to get good quality of hot water for bathing.

The overall theme was to go for appliances which consume lower electricity (higher capital cost is fine) and will give savings over the long term. Most of the above were purchased from e-commerce sites (FK, Amazon, Snapdeal, Paytm, Urban Ladder, Pepperfry etc) and didn't face issues as such.

Last edited by hrman : 16th August 2016 at 10:53.
Old 16th August 2016, 15:56   #6109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I just moved to my new house a couple of months ago. This involved purchasing some new appliances and furniture, since I had existing stuff which was purchased when I was single and of lower perceived quality. Am listing these and the experience associated with these for the benefit of all. Pardon the long post.
Thanks for sharing the info hrman. Since we are in same boat sharing my experiences

1) My decade old Whirlpool washing machine stopped working. Instead of repair, went for a new one. For the old machine the resale value given were in the range of 500. So kept it and posted in classifieds for resale. I can get rid of it for 500 any time and waiting for some time if i can get a decent amount on it. Purchased bosch WAK24260.
2) Ordered a double cot in pepper fry. Delivery time was 1 month after order. When i inquired after 20 days they said its on track. 1 week before delivery they said it will take another week. Since i don't want to wait again and bad experiences from online reviews made me to cancel it. Purchased a double cot form fabindia in last week. Looking for a mattress. I have backpain problem so don't want to go for a spring mattress. Preferred to have coir + foam mattress. I am seeing good reviews on memory foams and got +ve opinion form a friend who use it. So considering that as well if its available at a reasonable rate.
3) Installed Racold 1 liter geyser below kitchen sink and using AO smith 1L in one bathroom. These are really instantiations and water is becoming hot in less than a minute. Planing for a higher capacity one in other bathroom.
Next in plan.
1) Water purifier
2) Replace my sofa
3) Get my onkyo receiver repaired as it is not switching on sometimes
4) Replace my old dining table
Old 4th September 2016, 10:56   #6110
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a reading light for home use.
Based on reviews, I find that the ones with inbuilt battery don't seem to have good quality batteries inside. The ones with 'eye care' lights seem to have non-replaceable LED.

What are the students using these days?
Old 4th September 2016, 12:23   #6111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am looking for a reading light for home use.
Based on reviews, I find that the ones with inbuilt battery don't seem to have good quality batteries inside. The ones with 'eye care' lights seem to have non-replaceable LED.
I think LEDs are pretty durable. What blows is the power pack (generically called as the choke or ballast) by the mechanics. We have had two bad ones. One was Philips which was bad from Day One, and a second on a hanging roof light. Geting replacements was not tough.
Old 4th September 2016, 13:42   #6112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am looking for a reading light for home use. ... ... ...
The genuine Anglepoise lamp by my side dates way back. I don't remember to when, but I was using it on my hobby-jewellery workbench in late 'seventies. It's latest bulb is an LED. I think it is 8 watts. It gives a good light, not too bright, but enough to act as emergency light (it is on the computer UPS) for the whole room.

I have also a Soundtech reading lamp which I bought in Singapore a few years ago. Wall-wart power supply, no batteries. It was my bedside bedside lamp for a while, then I got a fancy "natural dawn" lamp/alarm. It is only 3 watts, I think. Now I use it as a reading light during power failures and when we need to get maximum duration out of the inverter. It has three levels: entirely comfortable for reading.

I noticed, when shopping for that item in Singapore, that there are famous-brand lamps which are very expensive. The stands are nicer, and they feel better made, but I doubt that the cost is really worth it --- unless cost is no object and it is for a "posh" room.

Final item: local on-line-purchase reading lamp. Cheap and cheap looking, but it worked fine. It went under in the flood.

More generally, I have a couple of LED floodlights to light up the garden and a mere-10-watt flood over the front door that stays on all night (hopefully discouraging rats). I'm converting to LED as things need replacing. As of a few days ago, kitchen is potentially super-bright with two new Philips LED "tube" lights and three work-top lights. Again, the room can be lit with just a few watts during cuts.

I've had one LED "tube" failure, locally bought Chinese nameless (they did replace it at the shop). Otherwise, all has been good so far. Looking forward to getting rid of the CFLs. All in good time. And probably, old-fashioned incandescents remain best for toilet/bath lights which are turned on just for a few minutes.
Old 10th September 2016, 20:05   #6113
Senior - BHPian

Bought bottom freezer fridge, mom is happy with it. No more bending down, well, most of the time, except when you want to get something from freezer.
The Home Appliance thread-whatsapp-image-20160910-4.15.53-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Renovation almost done

Last edited by ecenandu : 10th September 2016 at 20:14.
Old 11th September 2016, 18:00   #6114
BANNED

Where can I buy good quality, reliable anti-static grounding wrist straps and mats? How much should I expect to pay for it?
Old 12th September 2016, 11:19   #6115
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Please help me on below query.
We have a whirlpool white magic 651s washing machine. Last week all of a sudden, while in middle of a wash, it stopped working. And is not even turning on anymore. A guy from whirlpool service center came over to check it, and concluded the issue as main board failure. Which has to be replaced with a new one. As per him it cannot be repaired. I asked him the estimate cost for the whole job. He said around 3k to 4k for new board and around 800rs for labor.
Anybody has a previous experience repairing this model. Or has an idea on how much it should cost for a similar repair?!! Kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th September 2016, 14:59   #6116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
... main board failure. Which has to be replaced with a new one. As per him it cannot be repaired. I asked him the estimate cost for the whole job. He said around 3k to 4k for new board and around 800rs for labor.
The disadvantages of modern technology! These boards can be fantastically expensive.
Old 12th September 2016, 15:55   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
if you want to avoid hassle of cleaning etc, you can consider these premixed satchets of 3in1 or 2in1 types of coffee. They are pretty good and can be an alternate to freshly brewed coffee. Just add hot water!
Hey, where did you source the OldTown White coffee from? Was a personal favorite when we used to stay at Malaysia- would love to get them in India as well
Old 12th September 2016, 21:35   #6118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The disadvantages of modern technology! These boards can be fantastically expensive.
Our LG microwave at home town conked off and issue has been diagnosed as faulty board. Now problem is, the board is not available and they are not able to service it! It has turned into an expensive storage now :(

Last edited by glenmz : 12th September 2016 at 21:36.
Old 12th September 2016, 21:59   #6119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hey, where did you source the OldTown White coffee from?
purchased them from Malaysia, I liked the Essenso brand myself though and purchased the old town just for variety
Old 12th September 2016, 22:22   #6120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Our LG microwave at home town conked off and issue has been diagnosed as faulty board. Now problem is, the board is not available and they are not able to service it! It has turned into an expensive storage now :(
That's sad. I was impressed with LG's repair of our microwave. It was not the control board, but the magnetron itself that was dead, and they replaced it promptly and at reasonable cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks