Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 21:36   #6181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can make your own dust filter. An air filter is nothing but a fan sucking/recirculating air with particle filter in the path.

Take any large dessert cooler (without the water pump) and instead of the normal straw filters used put in some better filter material on three sides. If you reverse the fan, so that it sucks the air, then all the dust and smoke will be on the inner surface of the filters. Put the cooler in the room and run it. It will suck the stale dust laden air and filter it. If you want you can even install it in the window (in that case the fan runs normally pushing air into the room while the three sides are out side), so that it will pull cool air into the room.

Please note one thing about filters
. Coarse filters filter larger particles like airborne dust, but do not filter out fine particles and smoke. These can be cleaned and reused.
. Medium filters do a better job, but smoke os a problem. These are normally fibre based and though they last longer can rarely be reused once they are clogged.
. Fine filters will get rid of most particles and smoke. Their only downside is that unless there is an elaborate pre-filter system, they will clog very fast. They can neither be cleaned nor reused

For office work a recirculating filter with coarse or medium filter material should do, but you have to limit the outside air from adding to the load.
I have a different question - has anyone with severe asthma / allergies reported a quantifiable reduction in symptoms courtesy these air filters? I see people falling over themselves to install them but I am yet to see someone whose quality of life significantly improved courtesy these filters.
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:33   #6182
Senior - BHPian

One of my aunts and her grand son both suffer from wheezing attacks / asthma. They started using these purifiers some 4 odd years ago and since then have had nothing but praise for the equipment. They are now able to sleep through the nights without the wheezing attacks etc and their dependence on the inhalers has reduced. My aunt has now installed industrial sized air purification systems in her factory and is now able to work through the day without the associated problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have a different question - has anyone with severe asthma / allergies reported a quantifiable reduction in symptoms courtesy these air filters? I see people falling over themselves to install them but I am yet to see someone whose quality of life significantly improved courtesy these filters.
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:20   #6183
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hi Sanjay

I am expecting the delivery today or tomorrow. Feedback next week
Any updates Eddy? How is the exp? Esp. post Diwali.
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:34   #6184
Team-BHP Support

It runs in my Mom's bedroom, will check with her.

But I have not been able to connect this with the mobile app and running it on auto mode only.
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:58   #6185
BHPian

Anyone over here using a split chimney. I am just fed up of the racket my current chimney creates (although I have been told that my issue is due to improper installation).
Needed feedback on split chimneys where the motor and other noise creating elements are outside. I am guessing that to move the same amount of air, a split chimney might use more power but that's a small sacrifice I am willing to make to ensure quiet inside my house.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:03   #6186
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It runs in my Mom's bedroom, will check with her.

But I have not been able to connect this with the mobile app and running it on auto mode only.
I was hoping people run it in different rooms eg 2 hours in one room and next 2 hours in another room, to utilize it to the max. Is that not the case with the air purifiers?

Please let us know once you speak with your mother.
Thanks.
Old 5th November 2016, 06:24   #6187
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, need advice on air purifiers.

The mi purifier is pretty good in terms of specs but I don't trust their spec in paper or air quality / (in app) vs what I'm getting in reality. Below 20k MI has the best cadr Clean Air Delivery Rate specs (310 m3/hr) . But the thing is that a similar Philips 4014 (cadr 280) costing 21k actually failed for a friend day before. It worked all night but the pollution was too much to handle. I would totally trust a Philips or a Panasonic or Sharp though.
Which makes me wonder whether I should either buy 2 MI or buy the 30k sharp which is 480 CADR (Honeywell CADR 450 is 44k). What would you all say?

Technically this product is simple and a Sharp would be perfect - except for the day I need service, and then god help me! Alternatively something says this is NOT rocket science, and I'd rather buy 2-3 Mi filters and move them around in the house as required.
Old 5th November 2016, 06:44   #6188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Anyone over here using a split chimney. I am just fed up of the racket my current chimney creates (although I have been told that my issue is due to improper installation).
Needed feedback on split chimneys where the motor and other noise creating elements are outside. I am guessing that to move the same amount of air, a split chimney might use more power but that's a small sacrifice I am willing to make to ensure quiet inside my house.
Take a look at the new Elica Deep Silence range. Quite good. Got one installed recently with a 6" exhaust pipe.
Old 5th November 2016, 19:05   #6189
lsp
BHPian

Hi all, I am looking for an air purifier so sharing my exp with an air purifier demo.

Got demo from Kent Air purifier guy today at home. He had come with the Aura model air purifier. He had a air quality (particle) measuring device which showed various readings in various rooms (470/500 per cubic mtr). Then we went to my parents bedroom and ran it for sometime. During this time he was explaining me the things about the high grade unbreakable plastic they use, filter, cost of replacement etc.

What I did was asked him about the odour filtering properties and he replied in affirmative. I asked him if I can test by lighting up some Dhoop (Hari Darshan incense paste) in the room. Upon lighting up the dhoop and bringing it near the air quality device, the count shot to 999 immediately (max on a 3 digit display). We ran the air purifier for about 5 more minutes by when the count was 290ish. We stopped the air filter and I continued my questions etc. After about 10 mins the count was still below 310.

Plus point - Price offered is less than any ecommerce site.
Negatives - No unit to display the actual air quality at that moment in the room.

I made everyone in the family enter the room later and everyone felt a diff in the air smell atleast. It smelled as if that room had been locked for ages. A cold steely vibe to the air.

Quote:
The mi purifier ....
Hi Phamilyman,
MI is not available online. I checked yesterday. Out of stock.

It's aesthetics and the round filter which should supposedly sucks air from all sides appeals to me too. I am doubtful on the after sales although I was also toying with the idea of having 2 MI in 2 separate rooms.

Eddy should report on the effectiveness of the MI Air 2.

I am also skeptic on how long Sharp is going to be market. I provided my details on their website, requesting a demo and no one bothered, yet.

Anyways, with little more research I am going to finalize something soon in a week or so. There are at least 3 more people in office who want to pick one soon.

Last edited by lsp : 5th November 2016 at 19:09.
Old 5th November 2016, 21:20   #6190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Anyways, with little more research I am going to finalize something soon in a week or so. There are at least 3 more people in office who want to pick one soon.
Thanks for your info - it is very good to know. I have lots of updates-
  • For the non-MI fans, you can purchase Philips 1215 (CADR 270) for 10 (local stores)-11.5k (Snapdeal).
  • The Kent aura you checked out is 180 CADR. Please don't bother with anything less than 270-300. That's why at the end of your trial, the PM was still 290 and not much lesser. Compare it with other cos via delhiair.org:
    Name:  screenshot20150411at105504am.png
Views: 1016
Size:  18.6 KB
  • I also checked out the folks at SmartAirFilters - very nice products with the most minimal packaging. Their cannon is beautiful in its simplicity and efficiency (390 CADR is mindblowing) and is lightweight. But it looks like quite a jugaad and the wife will throw me out for using one. Thus I could not buy it. For those of you with 24 hour maids - consider using one.
Old 6th November 2016, 00:32   #6191
BHPian

CADR is not a measure of the quality of an air purifier, just as megapixel is not a measure of the quality of a digital camera. CADR is air handling rate of the appliance: higher CADR for bigger rooms. Of course you can use a high CADR appliance in a small room and get faster air processing (filtration in this case).

At the very least look for an air purifier which has a pre filter and a HEPA filter.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:15   #6192
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
[*]For the non-MI fans, you can purchase Philips 1215 (CADR 270) for 10 (local stores)-11.5k (Snapdeal).
AC 1215 does have an air quality indicator but I am looking for something which shows real-time air quality / cubic mtr.

I am told the following 3 Philips filters have them:-
AC2882 ~ Rs 19995/-
AC2887 ~ Rs 22995/-
AC3256 ~ Rs 32995/-

I've asked for a demo from Philips. Will update post that.
Old 7th November 2016, 18:59   #6193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The second one probably one of best worldwide - IQAir Health Pro 250....This model retails around Rs 90,000.
Any idea how much HealthPro 150 costs?

IQAir is indeed the best followed by Blueair and Austin Air. I would most likely get Blueair 270E but that too is for 50k.
Old 7th November 2016, 19:06   #6194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea how much HealthPro 150 costs?
I won't have an idea on this as I bought regular variant - IQAir HealthPro Plus ( Pro 250 for our market )

You can get in touch with this guy, very helpful person. They are official Importers.
Ashish Jha.

Samskara Wellness Products Pvt. Ltd.
816 Raheja Chambers, 8th Floor
Free Press Journal Road
Nariman Point
Mumbai 400021, India

Samskara Wellness Products Pvt. Ltd.
508/B Kanara Business Park
Link Road
Ghatkopar East 400075

Tel: +91 2266364970
Fax: +91 2266356146
Mobile: 09920644458
e-mail: customerservice@samskarawellness.com
web: http://www.hawahawa.in

Delhi Inquiries:

Onsite Demos by appointment
Phone: 09891092454
Email: ajha@samskarawellness.com
Old 8th November 2016, 13:01   #6195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won't have an idea on this as I bought regular variant - IQAir HealthPro Plus ( Pro 250 for our market )
Thanks!

Their website shows HealthPro 100 for ~80k so I'm guessing final price might be between 75k-90k for their HealthPro range, assuming we can bargain of course.

I think I'd rather get 2 Blueair 270E for 100k instead. I need one at the shop and one at home.

Anybody with a budget similar to mine, please consider Blueair 270E. Its a direct Swedish import with top quality build (steel). Its currently retailing for ~50k on amazon. I'd be visiting their South Ex dealer this weekend to see what's the final price on it.

At 50k nothing comes close to Blueair 270E just like IQAir is a no-brainer at ~75k and upwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks