Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 08:40   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

LG support is exemplary. My LG tech even soldered my microwave board once, he is that good. I mean who in this day and age cares to solder boards.

Since you are into baking etc, go for convection microwavr oven, when I bought my m/w oven 10-15 yrs ago this feature was not available. Go for base model of largest capacity. Base model will ensure parts are always available because base models remain same while top-of-line models always keep changing with latest fads and thus it's a pain to source boards and spares for them.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:11   #5987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
LG support is exemplary. My LG tech even soldered my microwave board once, he is that good. I mean who in this day and age cares to solder boards. ... ... ...
I almost bought a new oven because I suspected a dead magnetron and thought it would be a difficult and expensive repair. the LG guy diagnosed on one visit and returned with the spare the next. Only Rs1500 (approx). I was happy!
Old 16th May 2016, 18:09   #5988
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Eureka Forbes isn't responding to service requests in Bengaluru. Any emails of top guys there? Will be helpful. My parents are trying for just a filter replacement for 4 months now.
Old 17th May 2016, 09:29   #5989
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I am looking for a crimping tool to crimp open end bare terminals (see below). Any references or guidance (if someone already has) of procuring such tools in India?
These are freely available as part of wire strippers and cutters. However for the odd one, I find a pair of pliers more than adequate.
Old 17th May 2016, 17:15   #5990
Senior - BHPian

I was on a lookout for a small microwave for office use and got Morphy Richard's 20L microwave (only) for 4900/- last week.

Now I also need a small refrigerator but not sure of what to look for before finalizing one, any tips?
Old 17th May 2016, 18:34   #5991
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Guys, Eureka Forbes isn't responding to service requests in Bengaluru. Any emails of top guys there? Will be helpful. My parents are trying for just a filter replacement for 4 months now.
There are more non-Eureka Forbes people who service Eureka Forbes filters than the official ones. Most of them are ex-Eureka people. And they use original parts purchased from the company. Just go through justdial and find some.

I have been servicing my Filter by a non-Eureka guy for more than 5 years.
Old 17th May 2016, 20:41   #5992
BHPian

HI Guys,
I have a 42" Smart LED TV from LG. Its been sometime now that the colors are hay wire, when contacted LG they quoted 25K for panel replacement. Checked with a local guy and he said that the panel can be repaired for 7K but only 2 months warranty.
Please suggest what should be done, repair , panel change or TV change...?
Old 17th May 2016, 21:02   #5993
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
HI Guys,
I have a 42" Smart LED TV from LG. Its been sometime now that the colors are hay wire, when contacted LG they quoted 25K for panel replacement. Checked with a local guy and he said that the panel can be repaired for 7K but only 2 months warranty.
Please suggest what should be done, repair , panel change or TV change...?
For our 32" lcd, we did repair work related to panel for 6k from outside and it stopped working after a few days. It was a complete waste of money. But it may have been a one off case and does not mean that the same would happen to you. If the TV is old and you intend to replace it, then you should get yourself a new one IMO. It makes little sense to get the panel repaired for 25k, when you can get a non-smart 42" for 40-45k. If you intend to get it repaired from outside, then get it done from a reputed shop with good reviews.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:30   #5994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post

Have called the service center and they should be coming in tomorrow or day after. Anything specific that we should be looking for / asking for? Post this we have not tried baking or grilling but only microwaving. Not sure how these work so could it be possible that baking grilling works but reheating only fails?
Not heating is usually a sign of magnetron living out its life (3~5 years, based on usage). It's a simple replacement, if the part is available. LG charges about 850 for this, but tag on their 500 service charge as well. A simple way to check is to put a glass of water and see if it gets warm in 60 secs. If it does you may have more serious voltage induced problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Have not had a problem with them yet. I live in Indiranagar and usually route my call through Euro helpline 39883333 or 18602661177. Our engineer is from Leela palace road.
Their service HQ is in Muneshwara layout with a listed no 30251500. This is from my latest receipt last week. U can also check their website for updated service numbers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2016 at 21:45. Reason: B2B posts merged.
Old 21st May 2016, 12:23   #5995
BANNED

How is the quality & after sales service of Godrej refridgerators?
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:15   #5996
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There are more non-Eureka Forbes people who service Eureka Forbes filters than the official ones. Most of them are ex-Eureka people. And they use original parts purchased from the company. Just go through justdial and find some.

I have been servicing my Filter by a non-Eureka guy for more than 5 years.
I have used ex-Eureka guys for about 15 years. Now it seems that Eureka are not selling them spares, so he is reluctant, since if the PCB blows, then kaput. I consider the EF guys to be of the Hit & Kick variety.
Old 24th May 2016, 20:29   #5997
BANNED

So my old fridge started giving a lot of problems after 11 years and I replaced it with the Godrej Eon 290. Have a couple of questions for Godrej Eon users.

- There is a temperature control knob which says "winter, monsoon, spring, summer". I was wondering if I should keep at "Summer" setting all year long for Bombay weather.

- In the freezer there is a knob, which controls airflow to fridge and freezer. Left most is max freezer - meaning more cold air will flow into the freezer than the fridge & right most is max fridge meaning the opposite. Where do you guys keep this knob - somewhere in the middle?

- The vegetable tray at the bottom also has an open/close airflow thingy. Do you guys keep it closed or open?

Last edited by carboy : 24th May 2016 at 20:49.
Old 30th May 2016, 18:35   #5998
BANNED

We had massive power fluctuations last night. As a result we lost our LG Fridge and Microwave overnight. Both had been bought in 1999 or so. As usual we have never used a stabilizer on any appliance.
Old 30th May 2016, 21:19   #5999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
we lost our LG Fridge and Microwave overnight.
That's very sad. I have a stabiliser for both fridge and microwave, but we turn off the microwave at the socket except when it is in use. I had noticed that the stabiliser stays warm, so it must be using energy to give off energy, ie wasting electricity.
Old 31st May 2016, 06:21   #6000
BANNED

@Thad; I do not use stabilizers as a policy since I find they stop functioning i about five years. I lost an AC compressor in the office since the Voltas supplied stabilizer (came with the unit so I had not removed it) failed within two years, Also, once I had some issues with a couple of servo stabilisers and I tested about eight of them, all over five years old. I found all bad. The one servo unit I found good even after twenty years was an Aplab but they cost an arm an a lgg.

Most Viewed