Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 19:48   #6016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I use Fortune dishwasher tablets which i buy from eBay.
after the last shortage I stocked up and have 9 finish and 3 fortunes in stock, about one years stock!
I used to buy the cascade tabs from the US but haven't traveled in a bit.
Old 6th June 2016, 09:02   #6017
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
For Bosch front loading machine , What precautions should be taken in places like bangalore where ground water is hard and likey to cause issues for front loading with heater oprtion.
Some of these water purifier brands have a "water softener" bridge you can use between the inlet and the washing machine.

Here is an example: https://www.kent.co.in/Water_Softene...-Mini-Softener
Old 7th June 2016, 13:11   #6018
Senior - BHPian

While there is no doubt about its usability, I feel it will reduce water pressure drastically - leaving you with another problem.

Some of these water purifier brands have a "water softener" bridge you can use between the inlet and the washing machine.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:49   #6019
Senior - BHPian

Guys, not sure if this has been asked/answered before.

The water at our apartment has lots of salty sediments - even when we leave the water to cool after we boil/heat it up. I am looking to put in some water filter at the source itself - maybe for the connection for our home from the tank itself - to solve this problem. What are the prices of these things? I saw something from 3M for this - but would be better to hear from someone who has used this firsthand.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:33   #6020
BANNED

@naveenroy; I lived on the IIT campus since 1977. The water is hard, as is the case in my home (about 3km from the campus) which is probably sharing the same aquifer. I have never used a RO, since we do not like the water wastage.
Old 14th June 2016, 17:39   #6021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
For Bosch front loading machine , What precautions should be taken in places like bangalore where ground water is hard and likey to cause issues for front loading with heater oprtion.
I have a BOSCH FL WM, we use 'protecta' once every 15 days to clean up the scales.

http://www.ifbappliances.com/accesso...cta-200gm.html

You will have to run it a full cycle to get complete effect, so we normally run it with some house errant clothes.
Old 14th June 2016, 18:32   #6022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have a BOSCH FL WM, we use 'protecta' once every 15 days to clean up the scales.

London is famously hard-water, but I ran washing machines for years without descaling.
Old 15th June 2016, 13:25   #6023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, not sure if this has been asked/answered before.

The water at our apartment has lots of salty sediments - even when we leave the water to cool after we boil/heat it up. I am looking to put in some water filter at the source itself - maybe for the connection for our home from the tank itself - to solve this problem. What are the prices of these things? I saw something from 3M for this - but would be better to hear from someone who has used this firsthand.
Filtering is a multi stage affair
1. sediments are filtered using ceramic filters or sand bed
2. Dissolved salts require either chemical treatment or RO
3. Bacteria and virus generally are killed using UV or radiation

For domestic use you can search for Industrial Water Treatment solutions. They come in all sizes and the smaller ones ares suited for home use

http://www.treatmywater.in/waste-wat...nts.html#water
http://www.deltapuretech.com/Water-s...xqkaAoAi8P8HAQ
Old 15th June 2016, 15:01   #6024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Filtering is a multi stage affair
1. sediments are filtered using ceramic filters or sand bed
2. Dissolved salts require either chemical treatment or RO
3. Bacteria and virus generally are killed using UV or radiation

For domestic use you can search for Industrial Water Treatment solutions. They come in all sizes and the smaller ones ares suited for home use

http://www.treatmywater.in/waste-wat...nts.html#water
http://www.deltapuretech.com/Water-s...xqkaAoAi8P8HAQ
Many thanks for the reply. Wow, these products are huge. But yes, there are smaller ones for home use. This is one that I was looking at - http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...294465005&rt=d

There is a nice video too -

Do you think something like that could work? Seems simple enough and fits in just in-between the connection and home.
Old 19th June 2016, 23:14   #6025
BHPian

Any suggestion for electric barbecue grill. Should be small in size and to grill fish / chicken / mutton. I am looking for something like weber q1400, but this model is not available in India
Old 20th June 2016, 00:27   #6026
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Hi All, I am looking to buy a washing machine for my household having family of 4 adults and a kid. I need the one with the water heater. Not sure which is better overall - top or front loading? Top loading with heater option is available only with whirlpool. While there are couple of different brands that are available in front loading with heater option. My wife is inclined towards top loading due to its convenience of loading clothes even while the machine is running. Budget as less as possible but max is 30k. Require expert opinion please.
For washing machines and refrigerators buy only Siemens make. They have many models for varied use cases.

Important thing not found on any other brand is that your cost of spares is the cost when you bought the machine. The technicians have a chart to refer. So if your 2010 washing machine drum is to be changed you pay 2010 prices.

I have both a washing m/c and double door fridge. Both are heavy duty and top quality items. They take a lot of abuse. Hard water makes no difference.

It's like having a Mercedes Benz in the kitchen. I opened the washing machine once. Not one part or piece was Chinese. Everything is German.

Once in while throw in a cleaning fluid. Plenty of brands. All do the same job. Buy the cheapest one.

Or put white vinegar. That's what I do. Maybe a few molecules of baking soda. Though not necessary.

The fridge is machine heads dream. I've spent a couple of hours examining each component and was impressed with the attention to detail. But that's just my OCD. You, my friends, just plug it and use it.

Their website gives detailed pdf drawings. So you can plan which kitchen wall to modify to fit them in.

Service quality is top notch. Though you'll rarely need it. They're marginally expensive. You'll recover that money in terms of quality of washing or preservation of food. And hardly any maintenance. So it's actually very cheap.

Last edited by hangover : 20th June 2016 at 00:38.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:39   #6027
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
It's like having a Mercedes Benz in the kitchen. I opened the washing machine once. Not one part or piece was Chinese. Everything is German.
How does that matter?

Quote:

Service quality is top notch. Though you'll rarely need it. They're marginally expensive. You'll recover that money in terms of quality of washing or preservation of food. And hardly any maintenance. So it's actually very cheap.
I have a LG washing machine which is now 11 years old. I think I must have spent a total of around 1000 Rs on maintenance over 11 years. And when I register a complaint they are always there by next day. If I register a complaint early morning, they are there the same day itself.
Old 21st June 2016, 13:18   #6028
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Our kitchen is being converted into modular style. Thus, need for a chimney, does anyone have any idea how good the local chimneys are? The price difference between local ones and the branded is almost double. Are there any particulars we should keep in mind while buying chimney.
Old 21st June 2016, 14:14   #6029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Important thing not found on any other brand is that your cost of spares is the cost when you bought the machine. The technicians have a chart to refer. So if your 2010 washing machine drum is to be changed you pay 2010 prices.
So, spare parts cost remains same forever. Is that right ?

Quote:
What problems are you expecting if a non german part is used in washing machine ?
Old 21st June 2016, 21:31   #6030
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How does that matter?
I should have said Merc S class. What that Merc analogy means is:
  1. Near Noiseless operation
  2. Zero vibration in any cycle
  3. Dried clothes have less wrinkles; somehow the machine dries them without squashing them much;
  4. Less water used - our water bill reduced marginally after buying it;
  5. Maybe other machines have it but it was a first to me - 3 different powders can be loaded at start to be used for diff. cycles
  6. If there is a power interruption, it starts (continues actually) from the same point in washing where it stopped;

I'll stop now. I sound like a salesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
So, spare parts cost remains same forever. Is that right ?
What problems are you expecting if a non german part is used in washing machine ?
1. Yes
2. Chinese parts breakdown. They need MSG . I'll explain with a story.

If you go to any electronics store and buy say, a rechargeable light, the shopkeeper will not give any guarantee or warranty. The light is 100% likely to be Chinese made.

I sometimes buy items in electronic and hardware shops on SP road, Blr. The owners state frankly - any exchange if it isn't working or guarantee is only inside the shop. Once you step out, no guarantee.

Would you not prefer Adidas instead of Odidas (made in PRC) or buy Sony instead of Fony (sincerely crafted in PRC) and Armani over A.R.Mani.

Last edited by hangover : 21st June 2016 at 21:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks