Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 12:46   #6166
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys, any feedback on good ceiling fans to go for? This is in Chennai. I need to replace a whole bunch of them at my folks.

Please do let me know. Tons of brands available online.
Why not try 'Superfan' manufactured at Coimbatore.
Actually someone recommended it here to me on this very thread a few years back.

I have bought three no.s so far and am very satisfied.
It has cordless remote and is highly power-efficient.

The first one I bought directly from the company's online-website, the rest from amazon.in.
Old 12th October 2016, 19:30   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Which model did you get, NoMind? Is Aeroguard part of Eureka Forbes? Thanks.
I got this one SCPR 200. Yes It's Eureka Forbes.

Filters are great. Air is much cleaner and allergies are reduced by 80-90%.
Old 13th October 2016, 14:23   #6168
BHPian

Hello Folks,

My old TVS Fully Automatic washing machine has faithfully served us over 25 years (bought in 1990).

Planning to buy a new machine with Budget upto 50 K - requirements being Top loading (Mom's Condition) preferably with Agitator (better cleaning) & steel Drum.

We are not keen on other features such as heating coil, full dryer etc... we need a workhorse which washes the clothes cleaning.

Any suggestions on brand or models?

Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 14:21   #6169
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions for washing machine.
Our 11 year old Samsung machine has developed problems and I dont want to spend a ton of money on such an old machine.

Which brands are preferable for washing machines? LG/Samsung/Bosch/IFB?
Reliability and good service are the top priorities for me.

I am thinking to buy a top loading one as those are cheaper. I don't know if the front loading ones are worth paying so much extra. Do they really clean better?

Please provide your suggestions.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:31   #6170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Which brands are preferable for washing machines? LG/Samsung/Bosch/IFB? Reliability and good service are the top priorities for me.
I am thinking to buy a top loading one as those are cheaper. I don't know if the front loading ones are worth paying so much extra. Do they really clean better?
I picked up a front-loading Bosch for about 33k in Feb 2016 and am happy with both the product and its service (installation only, no repairs till date). Scheduling services are hassle free, and can be done online or by phone.

I prefer front-loaders since I feel they clean better. My limited research also seemed to indicate that water heating was available only in front loaders (though I could very well be wrong on this count).

Top loaders are generally easier to load/unload, although getting that last sock out can be a pain!
Old 17th October 2016, 14:34   #6171
BHPian

@adimicra @chala :

Yes, the front loading machines do clean better than top loading ones but not a big difference for normal home use.

Top loading ones are more convenient for senior citizens - I got a Whirlpool for my mom. But Panasonic is also a good one to buy. Price range will be 20 to 25K.

In Front loading models, Bosch or Siemens are the best - you can buy them from 24K onwards - there is a deal available in the ongoing Amazon sale online.

I have two Siemens front loading machines at two separate homes, one is 15 years old & the other 9 yrs, very reliable workhorses.
Old 24th October 2016, 01:08   #6172
BHPian

Looking for some help.

1) Chimney: looking for a 3 ft chimney and shortlisted models from Kaff and Elica, the latter is 4k costlier. Wanted recommendation between the two interms of performance and service.

2) Gas stove/ hob: Saw few good models in Kaff, Elica and Sunflame. How good is the battery operated auto ignition in Elica and Sunflame? Apparently now Kaff does not have battery supported auto ignition and uses direct power supply. The decision to buy a hob came later so will just place it as a cook top rather than cutting the granite slab. Any other recommendations welcome.

3) Moving within Bangalore, around 9 kms. Any recommendations for local movers and packers. Not sure if this is the right thread to seek this particular query.

Thanks in advance

Raghu
Old 24th October 2016, 04:31   #6173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Need suggestions for washing machine.
Our 11 year old Samsung machine has developed problems and I dont want to spend a ton of money on such an old machine.

Which brands are preferable for washing machines? LG/Samsung/Bosch/IFB?
Reliability and good service are the top priorities for me.

Please provide your suggestions.

Get a LG 7.0 kg top loading washing machine.
It's got one of the best wash performance backed up with tremendous service backup.
Old 24th October 2016, 21:56   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
1) Chimney. 2) Gas stove/ hob.
I would recommend Elica. I purchased an Elica cooktop with 4 burners and 5 jets on the larger burners. It is good looking and performs well too. I installed it as a counter top stove with legs instead of cutting the granite. The electric igniter works fine, we had some issues initially but called service and he came over and adjusted the distance and it has worked well since.
My friend purchased the Elica chimney and really likes it. We have an older Faber for our Chimney at home.
Old 27th October 2016, 16:07   #6175
BHPian

Hi - Any recommendations for a good air purifier for the office. Our office is on the main road and we are getting a lot of dust and smoke into the office (on the 2nd floor). We are now closing the windows and running an air purifier (GREE brand) on loan. I think air purifiers may be worthwhile to invest. A couple of questions -

1. Came across Xiaomi air purifier - They are very reasonably priced, but it seems like the filter needs to be changed every 3 months. The filter itself costs 2500 ₹ so I am not sure if its the same for other brands. Any recommendations of brands that are overall value for money (initial investment plus ongoing maintenance).

2. Any other alternatives apart from shutting windows and running air purifier?

Regards,
Old 27th October 2016, 16:23   #6176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi - Any recommendations for a good air purifier for the office.

A question. Do air purifiers really work? What is the modus operandi? Do we need to keep the windows and doors closed in order to use it effectively?

Last edited by ampere : 27th October 2016 at 17:19. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 27th October 2016, 19:14   #6177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi - Any recommendations for a good air purifier for the office. Our office is on the main road and we are getting a lot of dust and smoke into the office (on the 2nd floor). We are now closing the windows and running an air purifier (GREE brand) on loan. I think air purifiers may be worthwhile to invest. A couple of questions -

1. Came across Xiaomi air purifier - They are very reasonably priced, but it seems like the filter needs to be changed every 3 months. The filter itself costs 2500 ₹ so I am not sure if its the same for other brands. Any recommendations of brands that are overall value for money (initial investment plus ongoing maintenance).

2. Any other alternatives apart from shutting windows and running air purifier?

Regards,
Keeping the windows open (I assume for the cool air) will unfortunately also let in a lot of dust and smoke, so that is usually not an option.

You can make your own dust filter. An air filter is nothing but a fan sucking/recirculating air with particle filter in the path.

Take any large dessert cooler (without the water pump) and instead of the normal straw filters used put in some better filter material on three sides. If you reverse the fan, so that it sucks the air, then all the dust and smoke will be on the inner surface of the filters. Put the cooler in the room and run it. It will suck the stale dust laden air and filter it. If you want you can even install it in the window (in that case the fan runs normally pushing air into the room while the three sides are out side), so that it will pull cool air into the room.

Please note one thing about filters
. Coarse filters filter larger particles like airborne dust, but do not filter out fine particles and smoke. These can be cleaned and reused.
. Medium filters do a better job, but smoke os a problem. These are normally fibre based and though they last longer can rarely be reused once they are clogged.
. Fine filters will get rid of most particles and smoke. Their only downside is that unless there is an elaborate pre-filter system, they will clog very fast. They can neither be cleaned nor reused

For office work a recirculating filter with coarse or medium filter material should do, but you have to limit the outside air from adding to the load.
Old 27th October 2016, 22:46   #6178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
A question. Do air purifiers really work? What is the modus operandi? Do we need to keep the windows and doors closed in order to use it effectively?
Yes it does work.

It operates by filtering air by various means, just like a water purifier cleans water by combination of various materials and processes.

Yes you have to keep doors and windows closed. You are trying to control air, so it is a lot like air conditioning: if you keep doors and windows open hot air keeps coming in and you do not get comfortable air temperature. Similarly if you continuously let outside dirty air come in you lose air purification efficiency. Your filters will also get dirty faster.
Old 31st October 2016, 20:17   #6179
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a 500+ litres refrigerator? I would prefer a two door one rather than the side by side ones after looking at a few models and my space constraints. I want to decide between Samsung, LG, Siemens/Bosch. A couple of my friends who have Samsung refrigerators were not happy and had issues in their new fridges.
Old 31st October 2016, 21:15   #6180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Any recommendations for a 500+ litres refrigerator? I would prefer a two door one rather than the side by side ones after looking at a few models and my space constraints. I want to decide between Samsung, LG, Siemens/Bosch. A couple of my friends who have Samsung refrigerators were not happy and had issues in their new fridges.
Check out this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Bought bottom freezer fridge, mom is happy with it. No more bending down, well, most of the time, except when you want to get something from freezer.

Most Viewed