Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 12:19   #4831

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Quick update on my insect war in the Kitchen.
===============
Any experience with PCI? Is the package worth giving a shot? Please suggest.
Hi,

This is my first post here on team-bhp, so please excuse the errors I might make. And first of all, I'd like to thank you for all the help you have unknowingly given me, as I have gone through about a 100 pages of your Home Appliances thread. We are moving to a new(our first) home, so no information is unnecessary information at this point.

Anyway, I have noticed (up to this page) you have still not found a solution to your infestation problem. Since you were talking about one and two year plans with the PCI people, and this post is not a year old, I thought I will intrude and ask, just in case I forget later. Have you resolved this issue?

Also, have you noticed that this infestation seems to be highest and coming from the areas where the drain pipes are? I had realised, living with my mother, who was on a never-ending quest for finding natural and chemical-free cleaning products, that this was a huge factor in causing the infestation. The chemical product clog up the drains below, sinks, washing machines and basically every place they reach.

The people who have watched their drains get cleaned and have seen the cleaning people retrieve debris of semi-solid chunks will know what I'm talking about. Trust me, it is not dirt. When you expose your drains to these chemicals, there is no way your house will be completely pest-free.

For more than 15 years now, my beautiful home has been pest-free, chemical-free and I owe it all to my mother's neurosis. Not to forget- we live on the ground floor with a huge lawn, that serves as our vegetable patch and garden. She even goes to the extent of recycling water leftover from mopping the floors, doing the dishes and washing the clothes. That water we feed our plants and they are growing healthier everyday. So much savings and a happy earth.

I had no idea that people actually clean their washing machines and dishwashers on a periodic schedule. What a true waste of money that is. After the chemical-based detergents of course.

While I say all the above, I also suggest you do not buy everything the market claims to be natural and chemical-free. I would not.

I hope this helped the tinsiest bit, and was relevant to this discussion.

Please PM me for more details (in case you are absolutely lost), as I do not want to divert from the topic being discussed here, while I figure out how you actually 'PM' on this website.

Thanks again for all your help,
Tanya

Last edited by tanyasisodia : 11th December 2014 at 12:37.
Old 11th December 2014, 14:26   #4832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post

As long as your electricity bill dosent hit the highest slab, I think its more economical than using LPG.

Prestige, when they started, faced lots of problems. I think they have sorted these out by now (thats what I read somewhere).

Regards,
Thanks, from your suggestions I was finally able to sort these 4 models :

1. Prestige PIC 3.0 V2 Induction Cooker

2. Prestige PIC 6.0 V2 Induction Cooktop

3. Philips Viva Collection HD4928 2100-Watt Induction Cooktop

4. Philips HD4929 2100-Watt Induction Cooker

Will be finalizing from one of these. All are above 2000W, one of my friend who is using these suggested me to go for 1500W model as according to him more than 1000W setting is very rarely needed, your take on this? Thanks again.

Last edited by mercedised : 11th December 2014 at 14:28.
Old 11th December 2014, 14:48   #4833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyasisodia View Post
Finding natural and chemical-free cleaning products, that this was a huge factor in causing the infestation. The chemical product clog up the drains below, s
Well to be specific the "Chemical" in question should be phosphates . Phosphates promote algae growth which in turn clogs up the drains. Most detergents have sodium salts of weak organic acids , Phosphates are added to balance the pH and introduce alkalinity to kill germs. However Phosphates are excellent plant fertilizers so add to the algae growth in drains and water bodies. Try using detergents which are phosphate free one such brand available in India is Henko.

BTW : I believe not all chemicals are bad or not all herbal things are necessarily good. We should not fear Chemistry and not whenever someone says Chemical free or Herbal do remind them that

We have been using Chemicals such as Sodium Chloride , Sodium Bi Carbonate , Sodium Laurel Sulphate ( Toothpaste , Shampoo , Detergents) , Acitic Acid ( Venegar ) , Citric acid , Ascorbic acid ( Vitamin C) , Foelic Acid and so many other for ages. Where as few herbal or herbal derrived products which I would not recommend to anyone are Hemlock , Ganja ( Marijuana) , Bhang , Opium, Heroine , Cocaine , Morphine , Codine , Alcohol etc
Old 11th December 2014, 15:17   #4834

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
BTW : I believe not all chemicals are bad or not all herbal things are necessarily good. We should not fear Chemistry...
You forgot H2O.
And yes, of course. While including the term "negative/bad chemicals" did cross my mind, I chose not to be too obvious.
Old 11th December 2014, 16:00   #4835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
him more than 1000W setting is very rarely
needed, your take on this? Thanks again.
I agree. 2000W is equivalent to NOS. chances of food getting burnt or spilling over is high. We mostly use 2000W setting only when boiling water for tea.

Regards,
Old 11th December 2014, 16:04   #4836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyasisodia View Post
Hi,

This is my first post here on team-bhp, so please excuse the errors I might make.
My drain areas were infest free. These lil monsters took abode only in the crevices of modular kitchen. Once they reached my dining and bedroom, decided to call PCI. They did a investigation and then finally took their package.
After couple if days, these devils disappeared. Till now no problems. One more treatment is due post which we need to see. Happy now with infestation free home.
Old 11th December 2014, 19:37   #4837

I'm looking to buy a new Juicer/Food Processor. The juicer is more urgent. Was wondering if I could buy a Good Processor or any such appliance that could get the chopping, shredding, blending, kneading and juicing done effectively. Most food processors are able to do that but I'm not sure if an appliance designed to basically chop and knead be powerful enough to juice too. I was looking at a Philips HR 1863 Juicer and Braun Multiquick 7 MQ 775.

Has anybody used any of the above? They say the juicer is powerful enough for the fruits/vegetables to not need cutting and de-seeding.

The Braun Multiquick 7 comes in two models: MQ 745 and MQ 775. Can't find a differentiating factor at all. Maybe the kneading ability. Difficult to find anything worthwhile online though.

I hope I can find an appliance that is a great juicer along with a great food processor though.

I'm yet to check out Kenwood. Should I?

Thank you for any help you'll be able to give.
-Tanya
Old 12th December 2014, 10:55   #4838
BANNED

@tanyasisodia; I have been using Kenwood K Chef for over twenty years (two units one from 1989 to 2012 and she second since then), with a juicer attachment. The older model mad a 525W motor, while the new model has a 1200W motor. This does all you specified brilliantly.

All accessories are interchangeable.
Old 12th December 2014, 11:29   #4839

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tanyasisodia; I have been using Kenwood K Chef for over twenty years (two units one from 1989 to 2012 and she second since then), with a juicer attachment. The older model mad a 525W motor, while the new model has a 1200W motor. This does all you specified brilliantly.

All accessories are interchangeable.
Thank you, sir.

(edited) While the moderators approved my post, I was able to find Chef Titanium KM010 and KM020. Is there a worthy difference between the two? They look stunning, but can they chop, shred and knead too? Infibeam is the website that you recommended in your earlier posts, so I'll take a look.

And, oh my, they cost about half a Nano.

Last edited by tanyasisodia : 12th December 2014 at 11:55.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:16   #4840
BANNED

Look the same except for a SS and a Plastic body. They cost a bomb, but what else will last you over 20 years. One (20) may be a pro version. Motor is not 1200W but 1500W. Yes, they can do all and more. Remember the juicer is not part of the standard kit. We got it from the distributor and replaced the mincer with a SS liquidiser with no additional charge. I think there is also a far cheaper version which is supposed to do all the things.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:39   #4841
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it advisable to run a ~200 litre fridge on a 5A plug? It will be used as a backup fridge and not opened/closed too much. This should aid the cooling and lower the load on the electricity line as well.

I CAN do extra wiring from a 15A point but will be ungainly to look at.

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th December 2014 at 13:43. Reason: Clarity
Old 12th December 2014, 14:10   #4842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look the same except for a SS and a Plastic body. They cost a bomb, but what else will last you over 20 years. One (20) may be a pro version. Motor is not 1200W but 1500W. Yes, they can do all and more. Remember the juicer is not part of the standard kit. We got it from the distributor and replaced the mincer with a SS liquidiser with no additional charge. I think there is also a far cheaper version which is supposed to do all the things.
Quote:
They look stunning, but can they chop, shred and knead too?
Kenwood Chefs are just wonderful machines. Think of it as the kitchen equivalent of having your dream car in the garage!

Quote:
And, oh my, they cost about half a Nano.
Ahh, yes, that is the downside.

I do think that it needs an enthusiastic and regular cook to justify such a machine.

I have a Magimix (from UK, over 20 years old), a Braun handblender, and an Indian "Mixie," because my wife says that only the steel jars and cutter of an Indian machine will do some Indian tasks. I use the Braun most often, with a couple of jar attachments --- but it will never last 20 years! I have already replaced various parts.
Old 12th December 2014, 14:32   #4843
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is it advisable to run a ~200 litre fridge on a 5A plug? It will be used as a backup fridge and not opened/closed too much. This should aid the cooling and lower the load on the electricity line as well.
No issues, I am running a 550+l fridge on a 5A plug.
Old 12th December 2014, 14:36   #4844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

I CAN do extra wiring from a 15A point but will be ungainly to look at.
I'm running a hitachi 660L fridge on the same. There's nothing to worry.
Old 12th December 2014, 15:18   #4845

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Kenwood Chefs are just wonderful machines. Think of it as the kitchen equivalent of having your dream car in the garage!

Ahh, yes, that is the downside.

I do think that it needs an enthusiastic and regular cook to justify such a machine.

I have a Magimix (from UK, over 20 years old), a Braun handblender, and an Indian "Mixie," because my wife says that only the steel jars and cutter of an Indian machine will do some Indian tasks. I use the Braun most often, with a couple of jar attachments --- but it will never last 20 years! I have already replaced various parts.
That is true. Can't put a price on quality.

And yes, Thad, that is why I was going for a Braun Multiquick 7, because I have seen you can't really replace a blender, so a blender that can chop, mince, shred (I think) and even knead seemed great. The only problem I could anticipate was that you would need to continuously hold/press the button, so the machine can't work while you're working on something else.
Next I really needed was a powerful juicer, that would probably inspire juicing. Will check out the juicing attachment in Kenwood Chef.

On another note, have you guys heard anything about Fisher & Paykel? It sort of makes appliances that can fit into a modular kitchen. Seems exciting! A sales representative informed us the company- though about 80 years old, has sustained 2 years in India.
https://www.fisherpaykel.com/in/

Last edited by tanyasisodia : 12th December 2014 at 15:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks