Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 13:11   #4951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
V-Guard Solar Water Heater
150-litre, pressurised-system model. Cost: approx 43,000 including exchange.

Just out of curiosity and from a commercial viability, the cost of ownership over the life tenure for this device is likely to be about 60k on the lower end. Assuming a 7 year life term for example. This is approximately 10000 units of electricity at today's prices. If you use a regular geyser will the consumption exceed these 10000 units over the same time period? I understand the convenience factor of always on hot water, just wondering if we really benefit from these high cost devices from a commercial standpoint. I assume repairs and breakdown cost and Amc cost will likely drive the tco maybe a bit further north. I see neighboring houses having solar heaters in states of disrepair and always wondered on the viability of medium to high capital investment.
Old 12th February 2015, 13:16   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Just out of curiosity and from a commercial viability, the cost of ownership over the life tenure for this device is likely to be about 60k on the lower end. Assuming a 7 year life term for example. This is approximately 10000 units of electricity at today's prices. If you use a regular geyser will the consumption exceed these 10000 units over the same time period? I understand the convenience factor of always on hot water, just wondering if we really benefit from these high cost devices from a commercial standpoint. I assume repairs and breakdown cost and Amc cost will likely drive the tco maybe a bit further north. I see neighboring houses having solar heaters in states of disrepair and always wondered on the viability of medium to high capital investment.
+N,

esp in the summers, you anyways get free scalding hot water from the pipes at 9am. Given chennai's mild winters - is the investment worth it?

Of course, if you were to use a bath tub, then this heater can be much more useful!
Old 12th February 2015, 16:39   #4953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
I happened to be using a Faber Glass Top three burner stove for the past two years. On 8th Jan we were having a party at home and all the three burners were busy for a long time. After maybe 3 to 4 hours of cooking the Glass burst. The damage was similar to what you see on a car windshield. Some fragments blew from the corners but most of the glass stayed in its place.

Replaced it with a Stainless Steel cooktop. While replacing the new stove the technician asked if we poured water on the Glass while it was hot.
That is when I remember having wiped the Glass Top with a wet towel when it was hot.
I think what you did was reasonable. It is normal for liquids to spill on a stove, and for wet cloths to be used to wipe. If it cannot stand this, it is not fit for purpose. A real case of if you can't stand the heat (or the cold!) then get out of the kitchen!
Old 12th February 2015, 17:02   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think what you did was reasonable. It is normal for liquids to spill on a stove, and for wet cloths to be used to wipe. If it cannot stand this, it is not fit for purpose. A real case of if you can't stand the heat (or the cold!) then get out of the kitchen!
The glass top stoves can/do withstand the hot liquids spilled over them while in use, so if some cooking gravy or boiling hot water from a pan drops on the glass, it still works. But if you put cold water/wet cloth on the hot glass, it will surely shatter. It will happen to any glass, and in this case the glass is being heated.

In fact on my gas stove it is written under the glass 'Do no wipe when stove is hot'!
Old 12th February 2015, 23:23   #4955
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, but, in my book, that makes it just unsuitable for the job.

Do we have a materials scientist with knowledge of glass here, because I'm curious about this one! I'm sure it is perfectly possible to make glass that is tough enough and resilient enough.
Old 13th February 2015, 11:18   #4956
BANNED

My 15 L storage water heater seems to have developed a body leak. It's a 10 year old Venus geyser. It's a horizontal heater. Can this be repaired or do I need to throw it away?
Old 13th February 2015, 11:38   #4957
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My 15 L storage water heater seems to have developed a body leak. It's a 10 year old Venus geyser. It's a horizontal heater. Can this be repaired or do I need to throw it away?
At 10 years even if repairable it may not be worth it.
Old 13th February 2015, 14:52   #4958
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
At 10 years even if repairable it may not be worth it.
I want to somehow make it work for 6 months after which I am planning some renovation of the house.
Old 13th February 2015, 18:21   #4959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
It is doable. I had patched up a German made storage water heater that is at least some 40 years old. It is a huge water heater - probably some 75 liter or so. You need to remove the inner tank and the inner tank can be soldered by car radiator repair people. Only thing is you or your handy man electrician/plumber must dismantle the water heater.

The old version had some glass wool insulators inside the double wall exterior which makes it quite difficult to work with. Your water heater may have more modern insulation.
Old 13th February 2015, 18:47   #4960
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is doable. I had patched up a German made storage water heater that is at least some 40 years old. It is a huge water heater - probably some 75 liter or so. You need to remove the inner tank and the inner tank can be soldered by car radiator repair people. Only thing is you or your handy man electrician/plumber must dismantle the water heater.

The old version had some glass wool insulators inside the double wall exterior which makes it quite difficult to work with. Your water heater may have more modern insulation.
I am not planning to do it myself :-)

I am wondering if some shop will do it for me.
Old 14th February 2015, 10:13   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
I understand the convenience factor of always on hot water, just wondering if we really benefit from these high cost devices from a commercial standpoint. I assume repairs and breakdown cost and Amc cost will likely drive the tco maybe a bit further north. I see neighboring houses having solar heaters in states of disrepair and always wondered on the viability of medium to high capital .
It would make more sense to install this system for central water heating. In place of 5-6 individual electric heaters in every bathroom /kitchen. Or in Hostels /guest houses etc.

For a single bathroom which already has an electric water heater, it wouldn't make financial sense.

I'm looking at the pros and cons of this system. If I can install this system instead of 5 individual water heaters around my place. I'm still trying to figure out some kind of insulated water supply line.

Last edited by drsingh : 14th February 2015 at 10:16.
Old 14th February 2015, 22:04   #4962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
+N,

esp in the summers, you anyways get free scalding hot water from the pipes at 9am. Given chennai's mild winters - is the investment worth it?

Of course, if you were to use a bath tub, then this heater can be much more useful!
You are both right for a family of two in a small house. There is no way that we are ever going to recover the cost in saved electricity. I thought that before we bought the first one, and electricity was a lot cheaper then.

It is pure luxury!

However, as one adds family members, all showering daily, and creating more washing up and washing (but the washing machine does not have a hot-water inlet ) then I think the equation starts to be on the other foot. With an extended family, especially one with a young generation, the ball will be in a different car park.

It's the same thing with solar electricity, except that I think the costings are even less favourable there. I would love to be able to...

1. Big idea: Use the sun to generate as much power as I use in ACs during the day

or

2. Small idea: Use to sun to generate at least the 150-200 Watts that me and my computer corner is using all day.

I don't think that either is financially feasible with the current cost of technology.
Old 15th February 2015, 00:55   #4963
BHPian

Has anyone used air purifier? I believe it only cleanse the air of particulate matter but not chemical pollutants. Is this right? Would you recommend anyway?
Old 15th February 2015, 02:00   #4964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Has anyone used air purifier? I believe it only cleanse the air of particulate matter but not chemical pollutants. Is this right? Would you recommend anyway?
I have the one from eureka forbes and we didnt use it for two years. Bought it for my wife's asthma but didnt think it was effective. However this past week I've resurrected it and have it switched on next to me all night. Seems to have helped me with a cough that was afflicting me only at night. I bdlieve it is effective against particulate matter only.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:08   #4965
BHPian

Quote:
1. Big idea: Use the sun to generate as much power as I use in ACs during the day

or

2. Small idea: Use to sun to generate at least the 150-200 Watts that me and my computer corner is using all day.
I would think charging inverter batteries should be possible and is probably available now. We have two inverters at home and not sure how much power they consume to keep them going. Chennai is kind of blessed offlate with almost no power cuts. A friend of mine disconnected his inverter to save power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks