Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:58   #4936
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Solar Water Heater.

Out of the companies that provide the evacuated-tube/heat-pipe technology that have responded with suitable quotes, we are selecting V-Guard. I thought I'd just give a day in case anyone here has any reason why not. Like they say in church weddings: speak now or forever hold your peace!

We are a two-person household. It is probably not that common that we even take bath at the the same time, so absolute maximum is probably two hot taps running at the same time. I think that we originally bought the 250-litre Venus heater because it might have been the smallest model they had for pressurised water system: it is far too large for us. V-Guard offer 100-ltr and 150-ltr with immediate availability (pricing, 34,000 and 46,000, + 5% tax) and they will give us 3,000 for the scrap value of the old one (which also saves us the trouble of disposing of it).

Whist I feel that 100-ltrs is more than enough, 150-ltrs would give us a better buffer against a cloudy day or two (should be at least warm still) and also it has to fill the pipe runs to the taps. We plan to buy the 150-ltr. We should be able to get it installed this week.

LED Tube Lights

Changing existing equipment does not appeal to me either. As and when I have to replace fittings, or add new ones, then I will probably buy LED
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:13   #4937
BHPian

Guys need advice. My Hot water storage type geyser is giving very less flow on the hot side and regular flow on the cold side of the tap. There is no hard water in my area, rest of the geysers in the house are working perfectly fine. Any household remedies to descale it.
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:07   #4938
BANNED

@inder; See if you can find descaling compound in the market. If yes then disconnect the hot and cold lines, and after adding water use small pump to circulate the fluid. Then flush well (reconnect the clod line only).Hopefully you will be done.
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:21   #4939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Very difficult to go for a remote diagnosis. So you have to get some trained joker to check out.
The trained joker comes up with different explanations everytime that it is not even funny anymore

Just need to take the leap i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Have you tried, as a practice to change the program every time you start? I.e start with a dummy program and then do what you usually do as above? Does it work consistently? Sounds like a logic board issue to me. Try and get a second hand board and attempt a replacement.
Sounds logical. Will try this and check.

Thanks for the advice and fingers crossed.
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:50   #4940
Team-BHP Support

A cousin of mine has bought an air fryer. Going over to his place on the weekend with some sausages, seekh kababs, chicken and fish to see if the damn thing is actually worth all the hype.
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:53   #4941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A cousin of mine has bought an air fryer. Going over to his place on the weekend with some sausages, seekh kababs, chicken and fish to see if the damn thing is actually worth all the hype.
Please let us know about your experience. Would be interested if its really as good as it thinks of itself
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:36   #4942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have owned a Phillips one for over a year now. In one word - yes.

My typical usage includes making french fries (the semi processed ready to fry ones) and they come out as nice as the real thing at any fast food place. Also use it for shallow frying and it does an awesome job. Just use a brush and apply a little oil on the food before putting it into the fryer.
Old 4th February 2015, 18:49   #4943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Guys need advice. My Hot water storage type geyser is giving very less flow on the hot side and regular flow on the cold side of the tap. There is no hard water in my area, rest of the geysers in the house are working perfectly fine. Any household remedies to descale it.
Apart from scaling, it may be plain old dirt. HAs happened a number of times, when the pipes were clogged with dirt. The remedy is simple
- Open up the inlet pipe and check if the flow is normal. If not then the blockage is before - most probably the tap normally installed on the inlet.
- If inlet if fine, then open the outlet pipe and check. If the geyser is choked there will be very little flow. If that is so, then you back flush (put inlet pipe on the outlet and let the water flush the geyser). If that does not help much, then you have to go for descaling.
- If the water out of the geyser has normal flow, then the pipes and/or the hot watr tap are the culprit.
Old 4th February 2015, 19:49   #4944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Solar Water Heater.

Out of the companies that provide the evacuated-tube/heat-pipe technology that have responded with suitable quotes, we are selecting V-Guard. I thought I'd just give a day in case anyone here has any reason why not. Like they say in church weddings: [i]speak now or forever hold your peace!
We have a V-Guard solar water heater at home (Palakkad, KL) for over 3 years now and we've no complaints so far. It's a 100 L model - plentiful for my parents who're the lone occupants of the home most of the time. When the children and grandchildren come over for the vacations, it's just about right. We have the hot water piping (CPVC) going to all the sink faucets including the kitchen sink (mum has rheumatoid arthritis so luke warm water helps while washing the utensils).

For the cloudy and overcast days, we have a backup electric geyser serving just one bathroom. This geyser is located outside the bathroom with a roofing and a valve has been provided which controls the hot water output - either from this geyser or the solar water heater. Works well.
Old 4th February 2015, 20:47   #4945
BANNED

How much did it cost?
I'm also planning to get one?
Old 11th February 2015, 16:27   #4946
Distinguished - BHPian

V-Guard Solar Water Heater

150-litre, pressurised-system model. Cost: approx 43,000 including exchange.

Purchased agreed in the afternoon, Guys came to fit it the next day! We chose from "available" models, but I never expected it to be this quick.

Whilst the old Venus 250-Ltr system probably represented a sizable chunk of stainless steel, I was very happy to get Rs,3000 exchange offer just t o have the thing dismantled and taken away. Actually, they have not yet taken away the main tank, as, with leaking water seeped into the insulation, it is far to heavy for two guys to carry down steps and put into the truck. I saw the anode, completely corroded. Really, I should have kept and framed it as a reminder that it must be checked yearly!

The rest of the old system was methodically dismantled, removed, and all the inevitable broken glass carefully swept up.

The guys worked well throughout the day, finishing the building and plumbing of the new system with daylight to spare. I am very happy with the installation and the team

We have been used to solar-heated water for the past seven years, but I suppose that the insulation of the old Venus has been compromised, and the performance getting less. Or maybe it was actually never as good! The heat from this new thing is scalding! I actually can't touch the hot side of the mixer tap after taking a shower.

For those who don't know...

There are two kinds of solar water heat: flat-bed and glass tube. There are two kinds of glass tube, for pressure and non-pressure.

In the non-pressure, glass-tube system, the water flows in the tubes themselves, with water heated by the sun rising, by convection, into the tank, to be replaced by cooler water from the tank. The pressure system has sealed glass tubes with copper heat pipes inside them. Google will inform on heat-pipe technology; your CPU cooler probably uses it.

There is never (hopefully!) any water in these tubes. The heat is conducted into the water by the heat pipes. A side effect advantage of this is that a broken tube does not cause water loss. Broken tube? It happens: small stones seem to appear on terraces somehow. Crows, children ...or magic, maybe! We have a wire-grid cage for protection, having lost several tubes in the previous system

In the same week we happened to have our water-pressure pump (it's a single storey house: gravity doesn't give much) serviced, and the pressure switch replaced. They set the pressure higher than before and, what with the new water heater, Wow! Power Shower! Better, in fact, than any installed shower I have ever used in UK, Singapore, etc.

Of course, when one lives in a draught city, a little civic sense is necessary, and we had reduced the pressure so as not to waste water.
Old 11th February 2015, 18:16   #4947
t18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Glass Stove Top Warning

100% safe. I do not know what caused this incident --- but it could have cause serious injury or blinding.
I happened to be using a Faber Glass Top three burner stove for the past two years. On 8th Jan we were having a party at home and all the three burners were busy for a long time. After maybe 3 to 4 hours of cooking the Glass burst. The damage was similar to what you see on a car windshield. Some fragments blew from the corners but most of the glass stayed in its place.

Replaced it with a Stainless Steel cooktop. While replacing the new stove the technician asked if we poured water on the Glass while it was hot.
That is when I remember having wiped the Glass Top with a wet towel when it was hot.
Old 12th February 2015, 11:08   #4948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I picked up the OBH Nordica Inox 6544 Breadmaker and my wife has given it a go now. The beauty of the thing is no hardwork involved. No manual kneading of bread etc. I think the only thing will be to get the ingredients right and in the right order. The first loaf is currently baking, but it hasnt filled up the whole pan. I guess will take her a couple of attempts to start doing it right.
Hi Diyguy,

Can i know from where did you pick it up and how?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 12th February 2015, 12:40   #4949
BANNED

@Aroy; we found another reason in our Venus. The safety valve was clogged. So we have bypassed it will replace it presently.

Last edited by sgiitk : 12th February 2015 at 12:41.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:57   #4950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Can i know from where did you pick it up and how?

I got it from Helsinki on a business trip there.

Most Viewed