Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2013, 20:17   #3436
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks. Thats good to know. Most folks keep washing machines in a utility, which many times is open. I have seen during rains, these panels get wet. Are they built to withstand such situations? We do put a simple plastic cover over the machine. But rain water hitting may be a problem, if the panels are not designed for it. Have you seen any such issues?
My machine has always been inside the bathroom. So it's in moisture all the time.
Old 26th January 2013, 21:19   #3437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have never seen a washing machine with a built-in tumble dryer.
I've owned one. It was some time ago, in London, but I think they have been mentioned in this thread. They are usually called Washer/Driers, and they do tumble dry in heated air.

Usually the drying capacity is about half of the washing capacity

My washing machine is kept outside, but not in the open. it is also raised above ground level at a place where flood water has never even reached the ground. Not water, but rats destroyed the machine that I brought here from UK .
Old 26th January 2013, 21:43   #3438
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've owned one. It was some time ago, in London, but I think they have been mentioned in this thread. They are usually called Washer/Driers, and they do tumble dry in heated air.
Is the washing and drying done in the same drum?
Old 27th January 2013, 00:39   #3439
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it is. Here's the LG Washer Dryers.

After posting, I wondered if you meant you meant you'd never seen a 2-drum combination?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th January 2013 at 00:41.
Old 27th January 2013, 08:55   #3440
BHPian

Somebody here uses HLL's Pure-It AutoFill. Am facing issues with it and need to know if it is with all units.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:18   #3441
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't understand your question. I have a fully automatic washer and I also have a separate dryer. How does the separate dryer change your requirements for a fully automatic washer? You have to finish the spin dry part of the washer before you can put the clothes into a dryer. If you put soaking wet clothes in a dryer, you will be running your dryer for 4 hours per lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
A fully automatic WM may not necessarily be equipped with 100% dryer function, unless the specifications actually mention the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
All of them have the spin dry imo.
I think you are talking of the clothes dryer that completely dries the clothes, you are right then.

Bht i guess NPV here wants a standard fully automatic washing machine.In general convention a spin/tumble dryer is considered which is builtin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think fully automatic is not a problem. The main issue I think is with electronics esp. the control panel. Get the one which has electro mechanical
switches rather than feather touch control panels. Not sure how reliable they are. Others should be able to comment on the same.
Folks, thanks for your responses, I should have worded my question(s) properly, my bad.
I want your suggestions to decide one of the following:
1. Buy an automatic washing machine, this will have a basic spin dry function as well but clothes will not be 100% dry for which I can buy a separate tumble dryer later. This seems like a good option for now considering I don't need to plonk down a lot of money now.
2. Buy a washer dryer (single unit automatic washing machine with 100% dryer). Drawback is that the washing and drying capacities are not the same, 5.5kg washing, 2.5kg drying as an example. Also, the immediate need to plonk down a lot of money.

I saw the following Siemens 5.5Kg capacity washing machines. Price wise difference is only about Rs.1000 between these two models.
But these are about ~Rs.10k more than other brands, so wondering if it's worth it ? What about service and parts ?
WM08X160IN (Rs.28.5k) -

WM07X060IN (Rs.27.5k) -

Any other brands/models to consider ?

Quote:
Is the washing and drying done in the same drum?
Quote:
Yes, @Thad, @Carboy
I saw the Siemens washer dryer WD12D420EU (Rs.41k)

Last edited by NPV : 27th January 2013 at 12:31. Reason: adding siemens washer dryer details
Old 27th January 2013, 15:01   #3442
BANNED

Quote:

After posting, I wondered if you meant you meant you'd never seen a 2-drum combination?
I thought I hadn't seen the single drum washer & dryer, but now with your link - I think I have seen it on this thread earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I saw the Siemens washer dryer WD12D420EU (Rs.41k)
My personal opinion is that 5 kg is too less, even for a 2 person family. You will end up washing clothes too frequently. Get at 6.5 or 7 kg machine. About the dryer, 2.5 kg dryer is a ridiculously low capacity.

I would get a fully automatic LG now and add a dryer of decent capacity later.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:41   #3443
BANNED

For drying invariably the capacity of the drum is half of what it is for washing.
Old 1st February 2013, 14:46   #3444
Senior - BHPian

I am disappointed with the quality of plastic parts in my Kenstar Karishma Food Processor.

The knob broke within the first few months and now the plastic locking mechanism (which locks the plastic tub to the main body) is not working.

The Kenstar website doesn't even provide a list of service centres. Not expected from a reputed brand.

It seems that service is outsourced to a third party, whose website is shabby. The website containts absolutely no information about service centres.

Should I get it serviced at an authorised service centre, or take it to the friendly neighbourhood repair shop ? Would these neighbourhood shops be able to source the plastic parts ?

Can someone help me with the list of Kenstar service centres in Bangalore ?

Rohan
Old 1st February 2013, 14:55   #3445
BANNED

@rohit_iitr; For a food processor I swear by Kenwood. Pricey but brilliant. My old Kitchen Centre worked from 1989 till 2011 when the liquidiser gave way. I have seen units with 30+ years and still going strong.
Old 1st February 2013, 15:01   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
Kenstar Service Centre

No.37, 9th Main, 4th Cross, R P C Layout, Behind Rpc Layout Bus Stop, Vijayanagar, Bangalore - 560040

Call: +(91)-(80)-23102738

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st February 2013 at 15:17.
Old 1st February 2013, 18:29   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
I am disappointed with the quality of plastic parts in my Kenstar Karishma Food Processor.

The knob broke within the first few months and now the plastic locking mechanism (which locks the plastic tub to the main body) is not working.

The Kenstar website doesn't even provide a list of service centres. Not expected from a reputed brand.

It seems that service is outsourced to a third party, whose website is shabby. The website containts absolutely no information about service centres.

Should I get it serviced at an authorised service centre, or take it to the friendly neighbourhood repair shop ? Would these neighbourhood shops be able to source the plastic parts ?

Rohan
I have Kenstar Stallion, purchased in 2001, and the motor is still in a very good condition. I have religiously followed the service schedule from Kenstar every year. Earlier the service centre used to be in Malleshwaram but now shifted to Sampangiramnagar (near to KH double road).

The jars however are creating problems from the past 2 years. I keep replacing rubber bush one every 2 months from local repair shops. Also the noise the jars make when running is unbearable.

I tried getting the replacement for the jars but the new ones do not have the finish as the ones I have (when they were good). The blade and plastic quality is also not good - so continuing using old ones much against my wife's wish to buy a new one. Also my wife no longer trusts these service centers as the replaced bushes and gaskets got damaged within one month. The parts provided by local repair shops also last as much as those provided from service center.

Looking to buy new one but some how not able to get the ones with fit and finish of Stallion.

Wife is insisting on buying food processor. Experts please let me know which is the best available in the market.
Old 1st February 2013, 19:04   #3448
BHPian

What we really miss is our old Sumeet's quality. We have an inalsa food processor but it's useless for kneading dough, for that we use a kenwood fp. For idly batter we take out the trusty Sumeet! Yup, we have three!

We we're looking for a Sumeet FP, but we're told that they don't make them anymore.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 1st February 2013 at 19:06.
Old 1st February 2013, 19:43   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately most of the kitchen appliances are now sourced from China, and in many cases there is no QA on what comes, this is especially true of the erstwhile western brands - Phillips, Singer, Kenstar etc.
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:44   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
Call Kenstar customer care which is on their website, they will send execute to your home itself. They charge Rs 150 for visit. They carry most things, had good experince, used it for 3-4 times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks