Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 17:57   #7756
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Call me a Miser or Tech savvy :- When the Front Loading Machine is finishing the Wash Cycle and ready to discharge / Pump out the Soap Solution to drain, I shift the drain to a separate bucket and collect it. After it has settled down, this solution is still rich with detergent and is used to wash rags and outside floors.

Zero Wastage
Amrik Singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 18:31   #7757
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Regarding Dishwashing tablets IFB Essentials (Rs 750 for 30) performed much better than the much more expensive Finish Powerball (Rs 1200 for 30)
Which version of finish powerball? All the tablets they sell has powerball written on them but they have different products with different cleaning power and performance.
Old 19th May 2020, 19:35   #7758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
We got the IFB front load washing machine in '98 (or '99) and it is still being used (by our tenant). It was quite the thing to use, with all those several programs and hot water cycles. But, it was terribly let down by a) IFB's patchy service, eventually we called the service guy privately, rather than through IFB, and b) the tech itself, we had drum issues (balancer related) frequently, despite moderate use.

Since then, we've got only top-load machines. Has the tech gotten better and more reliable?
It seems that you had trouble with the service rather than the technology. The technology of front-load machines was good twenty or thirty years ago.

Don't know how is was in India then, though. I can say that the Bosch machine that came with me from London was better built and superior to the Bosch machine I bought here in 2015. It was also much more expensive, albeit quite a few years older. If it had not been for that rat, it would probably still be working today.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 20:02   #7759
Senior - BHPian

Oh I wasn't aware. This is the pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Which version of finish powerball? All the tablets they sell has powerball written on them but they have different products with different cleaning power and performance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_4520.jpg  

Old 19th May 2020, 21:59   #7760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Since then, we've got only top-load machines. Has the tech gotten better and more reliable?
Even I had a bad experience with IFB front load and switched to a top loading machine. After reading lots of positive reviews about front loaders these days, switched back to front loader (for its efficiency). The Bosch machine is just awesome. It is rock solid even at 1400RPM spin cycle, whereas my IFB used to run away to my neighbor's place during spin cycle

When time comes to replace your current top loader, please consider a front loader. It consumes 1/3rd the water that a top loader consumes. The washing is also much better due to the horizontal rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Oh I wasn't aware. This is the pack
I had tried this once when it had a reasonable price in Amazon, and it was really good. These days, it is just insanely priced - around 6K for a pack of 90 tablets.

Last edited by graaja : 19th May 2020 at 22:00.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 03:43   #7761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
... a front loader. It consumes 1/3rd the water that a top loader consumes.
That will also be 1/3rd of the electricity to heat it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 04:13   #7762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That will also be 1/3rd of the electricity to heat it.
Would NOT they come up with hot water inlet, so that we can feed the inlet from solar heater?
Old 20th May 2020, 07:20   #7763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I use Finish Quantum Powerball

Finish Dishwasher Quantum... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07J63M38Y?...p_mob_ap_share

It's really good. Bought a couple of packs few months back. At that time Amazon offered it for around 1200 per pack (60 tablets). Coupled with other offers and cashbacks, I actually paid around 900 for a pack!

Alas, it not available right now and no visibility when it will be back in stock again. Hopefully soon, now that lockdowns are opening up.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 17:26   #7764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Would NOT they come up with hot water inlet, so that we can feed the inlet from solar heater?
It is not something they didn't come up, it is something that used to be normal and was taken away!

I agree... I also have a solar heater, and it is annoying that the washing machine can't use its hot water, but uses electricity to heat more.

Plainly, the control systems are simplified and easier to make with just one input: it must cut manufacturing cost.
Old 20th May 2020, 20:40   #7765
BANNED

A solar heater typically has no temperature control. Water from a solar heater, if used direct can damage fabric, as per my guess. I too have an under utilised solar heater. At my parents.
Old 20th May 2020, 21:33   #7766
BHPian

In practice, mostly washing is done early morning so that the load is dried in the sunshine. The water from Solar W/Heater may not be available in quantity and required temperature having been there overnight.
Old 20th May 2020, 22:22   #7767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
it is something that used to be normal and was taken away!

I agree... I also have a solar heater, and it is annoying that the washing machine can't use its hot water, but uses electricity to heat more.

Plainly, the control systems are simplified and easier to make with just one input: it must cut manufacturing cost.
Indeed. It should have been a must have feature in all the WMs for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A solar heater typically has no temperature control. Water from a solar heater, if used direct can damage fabric, as per my guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
The water from Solar W/Heater may not be available in quantity and required temperature having been there overnight.
Hot water feed goes through the internal heater in the WM for the temperature check and then onto the clothes. This is how it is for bathroom water heaters. We feed the solar water to the inlet in the bathroom water heater and this helps in saving electricity.
Old 20th May 2020, 22:55   #7768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A solar heater typically has no temperature control. Water from a solar heater, if used direct can damage fabric, as per my guess. I too have an under utilised solar heater. At my parents.
The water from our heater is, indeed scalding; the "cold" water supply will be at ambient temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
In practice, mostly washing is done early morning ...The water from Solar W/Heater may not be available in
Unless the household is using hot water in industrial quantities, there will be plenty. We have 150-Ltr capacity: we can get hot water for two to three days of rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Indeed. It should have been a must have feature in all the WMs for India.
Certainly for those places like here that get very few days of no sun.
Old 21st May 2020, 00:48   #7769
BHPian

Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
How many folks at home, their age profile or preferences. Any brand preference?
My sister is looking for around 300L+ bottom freezer, frost-free, invertor refrigerator in Mumbai Western Suburb.
There are 4 adults at home. For some reason, they would NOT want 'samsung' models.

Please advise!
Old 21st May 2020, 03:08   #7770
Senior - BHPian

All, any recommendations for a 32 inch (strict, cannot go higher as wall mounted and space restricted) full HD smart TV , that can possibly do Wireless Display from Windows 10 as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks