Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 00:28   #7861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
... ... allowing AC to Hibernate during Winters.
I am having trouble understanding that last word.

<-- Location Chennai
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 11:37   #7862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone into baking (amateur, DIY, at home) please answer:
Is it worth getting a "stand mixer" and what are the options in India ? What's the ideal wattage one should look for in these machines ?
https://homezene.com/best-stand-mixers-india/
https://www.amazon.in/Stand-Mixers/b...ode=1380080031

For small batch - 1 to 2 kg flour, mixing by hand is best. Mixers require cleaning and for small batches it is not worth it. Further mixing by hand transfers the warmth from hands that makes the mixed dough slightly better.

I knead the dough twice, Once initially and a second time after it rises. I doubt any but large commercial mixer will do the second kneading properly. Anyway TV programs show the Artisan bakers knead the final stage by hand. It is fascinating to see one person manipulating a pile of 20kg dough.

The stand mixers that I saw in malls are prohibitively expensive ranging between 30K and 60k. In contrast I did search for and found a lot of commercial dough kneaders at a much more reasonable price. Just google and you will get a lot of links.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 02:01   #7863
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I am looking to purchase a decent surge protector. I managed to shortlist the below two options:
  1. Honeywell 6 socket platinum series https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01N2B99ZR/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_s3P3EbAB9QJTH Is this actually manufactured by Honeywell? The support email address seems to say Honeywellconnection and there is a comment that talks about how this is just a different company using the purchased Honeywell trademark.
  2. Belkin 8 socket : https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0083T23AA/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_f8P3EbG3VX2XA - I always thought that Belkin is a decent brand but it seems that quite a few people have complained about how the quality seems to have gone down.

Also, are any surge protectors in India actually UL certified and do any of them actually honour the compensation claim?

I am thinking if putting together a gaming desktop for which I will have to get a UPS. But I don't have a good surge protector at home right now and I am worried about the office laptop.
Old 9th June 2020, 11:51   #7864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Also, are any surge protectors in India actually UL certified and do any of them actually honour the compensation claim?.
Both are good and i have used Belkin a lot. For the past 3-4 years am using huntkey which claims to have a similar warranty. We also have a full house UPS that also protects from surges if i am not wrong.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 10:20   #7865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Both are good and i have used Belkin a lot. For the past 3-4 years am using huntkey which claims to have a similar warranty. We also have a full house UPS that also protects from surges if i am not wrong.
It all depends on the type of UPS. The 'normal' domestic inverter under normal conditions just passes the AC mains supply to the output. It uses the inverter only when there is no mains power supply or the the mains voltage is too low. The double conversion online UPS, usually used for computers will output its own supply regardless of the AC mains input. This type of UPS may provide surge suppression to some extent. But it doesn't suppress transients induced into the line by lightening or rapid switching of inductive load.

We have tested this in our office set up for a long time. It is better to fix Surge Protective Devices (SPD) at the entry point of your house. They provide the best possible mains borne high voltage surges. And after that for sensitive electronics use a mov (metal oxide Varistor) at the socket which will provide protection against internal surges.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:17   #7866
BHPian

Quote:
For the past 3-4 years am using huntkey which claims to have a similar warranty.
I have Huntkey and I opened it, there is nothing inside it in terms of surge protection. It is a simple power extension strip.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:30   #7867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am looking to purchase a decent surge protector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is better to fix Surge Protective Devices (SPD) at the entry point of your house. They provide the best possible mains borne high voltage surges. And after that for sensitive electronics use a mov (metal oxide Varistor) at the socket which will provide protection against internal surges.
+1. Its always better to provide SPD at the mains and at the extension point. The mains SPD have rating of the order of 10-12.5kA and the extension cord ones have around 1.2kA (@archat68 : One that really has)

Last edited by srini1785 : 10th June 2020 at 13:36.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:49   #7868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I have Huntkey and I opened it, there is nothing inside it in terms of surge protection.
This is what the product states.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1591777138886.jpg  

Old 10th June 2020, 14:35   #7869
BHPian

Quote:
This is what the product states.
Also gives Insurance upto 1Lakh IIRC . I'll check mine when I'm home and post a photo too.
Old 10th June 2020, 15:09   #7870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have Huntkey and I opened it, there is nothing inside it in terms of surge protection. It is a simple power extension strip.
It will be a capacitor and inductor nothing else inside.
Old 10th June 2020, 15:45   #7871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I know. I have quite some knowledge about electronics about a hobbyist. There is nothing, the wire is directly connected to the sockets.
Old 10th June 2020, 16:38   #7872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Quote:
I know. I have quite some knowledge about electronics about a hobbyist. There is nothing, the wire is directly connected to the sockets.
Difference between a spike arrestor and surge protector.

Spike arrestor : Typically a LC filter circuit. When a spike occurs, the inductor opens and the capacitor discharges to GND.

The Home Appliance thread-typicalpowerlinefilter500x236.jpg

Surge protector : Typically a Varistor ( Metal oxide ) with a GDT (Gas discharge tube) to the GND. When a surge occurs, the Varistor shorts and the GDT starts conducting the excess current to the GND.

The Home Appliance thread-media1182427acpowersupplysurgeprotectionfig3.jpg

My guess is that the chinese have got the name confused.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:06   #7873
BANNED

I noticed that the UPSes with built in batteries were wreaking havoc when they reach EOL. Then I started using Belkin between the UPS and the cabinet. Well, have suffered SMPS snafu after that. I'm speaking of a 20 year period. So have preferred to attribute power induced hard disk failures to bad karma, not power equipment.
Old 13th June 2020, 22:22   #7874
BANNED

Recently my 7 year old LG front loader stopped midway during washing. Called the LG support and they identified the issue to the corrosion of Rear Drum Assembly.

They've quoted Rs.6500 for the fixing which includes welding of a stainless steel shaft in lieu of original aluminum.

Problem:

The service guy told me that its a common problem with all front loaders.

Is it true or is it a daylight robbery?
Old 13th June 2020, 22:46   #7875
Distinguished - BHPian

Throughout our entire married life we have had front loaders. Never had this problem though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks