Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 11:34   #361
BHPian

Detergent powder to use in Washing Machines

There are detergant powders classified as for front loading washing machines and top loading ones. What is the difference?

Any idea what is the harm in using normal washing powder used in toploading machine when used in front loading washing machine regularly?

There is a marginal price difference as I could see between them.
Old 17th June 2009, 11:38   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbijlani View Post
Hi, how much did you guys pay for Panasonic NR-B301M
thanks
Sorry, I missed your question. We paid 26K.
Old 17th June 2009, 12:00   #363
BANNED

If you look at it another way, the failure rate of stabilizers is far higher than that of Refrigerators and ACs. I am aware of two AC failures in my 30+ years of experience. Both caused by faulty Stabilizers.

Both AC and refrigerator compressors are AC induction motors which can take a wide voltage range. All you need to do is to add a properly rated MCB/Starter to trip if the voltage (and hence the current) goes too far out of bounds.
Old 17th June 2009, 12:02   #364
BHPian

I have a siemens chimney. Works great. Have been using it for the last 5 years without a problem.

Use a regular Glen stove and did not go for a HOB.
Old 17th June 2009, 12:02   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
There are detergant powders classified as for front loading washing machines and top loading ones. What is the difference?

Any idea what is the harm in using normal washing powder used in toploading machine when used in front loading washing machine regularly?

The ones classified for front loading machines do not lather.
As for the harm, once in a diswasher we used normal soap solution instead of non lathering.
Soon entire kitchen floor was full of lather.
apparently soap lather can seep through the rubber sealings, so if there is excessive lather, its going to spill out of the front loading machine door.
In top loading machines, unless you are filling to the brim, no such risk.
Old 17th June 2009, 12:23   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The ones classified for front loading machines do not lather.
As for the harm, once in a diswasher we used normal soap solution instead of non lathering.
Soon entire kitchen floor was full of lather.
apparently soap lather can seep through the rubber sealings, so if there is excessive lather, its going to spill out of the front loading machine door.
In top loading machines, unless you are filling to the brim, no such risk.

Thanks for the answer, TSK.
I thought any detergant powder labeled for Washing Machines should produce less lather anyway. But I guess front loading ones are more prone to this and that is how they need different powder recommonded for them specially. Thanks!
Old 17th June 2009, 12:25   #367
BHPian

Buy faber chimni + hob. Using them for 2+ years. You need to maintain both ( oil removal chimni, fixing self start option of hob ) on time to time basis.
There are lot of other options but faber is what 99% of ppl will buy.
Old 17th June 2009, 13:03   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post

forget top bottom left right machines. My question what is so different powder for machines? Is this just marketing gimmick?
Old 17th June 2009, 13:45   #369
Senior - BHPian

please help TOP Loading VS FRONT loading

after deciding on buying a washing machine me and my wifey went to the shop. we had decided to go for a whirlpool newly launched smart wash top loading machine which has all the fuctions of Ebony elite model which is discontinued. whirpool has aggressively priced it at 11000.
however out of the blue the shop representative diverted me to a front loading IFB machine. he explained me that front loading is way better than top loading in terms of wash quality.
you get a dhobi wash due to clothes tumbling with gravity and in top loading you get a gentle hand wash.
also the drum in the front loading rotates at 1100 rpm and that of top loading does just 400-600 rpm.

but the thing is front loading are costly. all above 21k. finally i dropped of the plan of buying the machine that day and decided to do some study and get back.

please help me guys.
Old 17th June 2009, 13:57   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
after deciding on buying a washing machine me and my wifey went to the shop. we had decided to go for a whirlpool newly launched smart wash top loading machine which has all the fuctions of Ebony elite model which is discontinued. whirpool has aggressively priced it at 11000.
however out of the blue the shop representative diverted me to a front loading IFB machine. he explained me that front loading is way better than top loading in terms of wash quality.
you get a dhobi wash due to clothes tumbling with gravity and in top loading you get a gentle hand wash.
also the drum in the front loading rotates at 1100 rpm and that of top loading does just 400-600 rpm.

but the thing is front loading are costly. all above 21k. finally i dropped of the plan of buying the machine that day and decided to do some study and get back.

please help me guys.

Washing method of front loading is true that the sales person explained. But end of the day, difference in wash quality might not be too much.

And just check, top load washing machines generally do not come with in built heaters for hot water wash. Essential for for washing baby clothes etc. They come with 2 water inlets for hot and cold and you will need a gieser or so for hot water wash. Front loading machine come with temperature settings for wash program, as they have inbuilt heater.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:13   #371
Senior - BHPian

nice pic ya! who took it? for a sec i thought it must have been rudra's handi work!

ot: sam/jenny, how about a yetiblog on how the flat was convetered into a look alike of a german home? ( ref: the single pic on one for the blogs )

would sure like to impliment few of those ideas as when when am re-doing my house!
Old 18th June 2009, 10:11   #372
BANNED

There are essentially three type of washing machines - Front Loading, Twin Tub, and Top Loading. While the former are popular in Europe Japan and US swear by the other two (I think in that order). I guess at the end of the day it boils down to personal preference.

In general low foam washing powder is required by all three. Front loaders like (almost) zero foam. This is because the washing action is due to the tumbling and if the clothes fall into a bed of foam the agitation is seriously compromised.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:33   #373
BANNED

@shyamhegde - my IFB 4.5 KG lowest in the range front loader has an inbuilt heater.

I have both front loader (IFB) and a top loader, single tub (fully automatic) from godrej. I think the front loader is better, and more economical to run.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:49   #374
BHPian

>> sgiitk posted a valid point there. Thanks!
>> BaCkSeAtDrIVeR - That is exactly mypoint too. All frontloading washing machines come with heater inbuilt but genrally not all toploading machines. Does your Godrej top loader has it?
Old 18th June 2009, 11:44   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
nice pic ya! who took it? for a sec i thought it must have been rudra's handi work!

ot: sam/jenny, how about a yetiblog on how the flat was convetered into a look alike of a german home? ( ref: the single pic on one for the blogs )

would sure like to impliment few of those ideas as when when am re-doing my house!
The compliment for having taken that cute picture goes to Sam's dad!

With regards to a house reconstructing thread we are afraid it will be rather boring. However, if anyone has questions as to where to go for what (fittings, furniture, electronics, ...) and what materials to use best we will be happy to help. I wouldn't say we know it all but this project has taught us a good lesson lol.

Most Viewed