Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 12:11   #9256
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Or am I better off ordering a comparable one from Philips? Any other recommendations below Rs.2000 are also welcome.
I would go for a Philips, though I don't have anything good to say about their after warranty service. Their service centers will flat out refuse to service anything that is out of warranty, claiming lack of spares. With Borosil, you will be directed to a third party service center (for in-warranty repairs) where you can take your chances. Nothing much to recommend between the two, given that they are similarly priced, and are very likely made in China to low Indian requirements.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 03:57   #9257
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a good quality mixer grinder or a food processor?
Croma had Preethi, Usha and Croma options in the food processor range.
I hd a bought a Philps mixer grinder 750 watts from elsewhere a few months ago. But the grinder vessel heats up within the first couple of spins.
Need something for heavy duty Indian grinding (idli batter primarily). Hence looking at 1000 watts range. Which is primarily in food processors
Old 7th February 2022, 04:20   #9258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I hd a bought a Philps mixer grinder 750 watts from elsewhere a few months ago. But the grinder vessel heats up within the first couple of spins.
The heating up of the jar can be reduced by lessening the quantity of ingredients used in one go and by adding adequate water while grinding.

Though a mixer grinder can be a handy food processor when need be, batter making is best done using a dedicated grinder. A mixie breaks the items using the blade present in the jar whereas a dedicated grinder actually grinds it, just as our elders did using the stone grinders.

As you already have a Philips, use it for its intended purposes and acquire something like this (indicative example, not a recommendation) for idli, dosa batter.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 07:28   #9259
Senior - BHPian

Mixer grinder heats up inadvertently so we use a 'idli batter grinder' specifically. The model shown in this video
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 08:29   #9260
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions...
Need something for heavy duty Indian grinding (idli batter primarily). Hence looking at 1000 watts range. Which is primarily in food processors
And don't be tempted into buying a large 2+ litres wet grinder if you intend to grind smaller quantities. Go for 1+ litres, though the motor may be the same - it is hard to grind small quantities in the larger grinder (unfortunately the grinding containers are not interchangeable, at least in the Elgi brand)
Old 7th February 2022, 10:15   #9261
BHPian

Guys, need some help and suggestions please. I want to change the Geysers in my house and all of them were installed at the time of us shifting in, which was around 25 years ago. They are of a brand that are probably no longer in business. (Cascade)

Since I want to change them now, how do I choose the right geyser, so that the existing bolts can be used. This is a vertical cylinder style 25-30 lt geyser.
Old 7th February 2022, 11:28   #9262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The heating up of the jar can be reduced by lessening the quantity of ingredients used in one go and by adding adequate water while grinding.
Tried grinding with less quantity and with cold water also. Not much difference. I am thinking of replacing it under warranty or just giving it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
And don't be tempted into buying a large 2+ litres wet grinder if you intend to grind smaller quantities. Go for 1+ litres, though the motor may be the same - it is hard to grind small quantities in the larger grinder (unfortunately the grinding containers are not interchangeable, at least in the Elgi brand)
I forgot to mention I need to take it with me for international travel. Looking for something upto 5kg weight max. The grinder thingie is 10+ kg, so not in consideration.
Plus I need a juicer/ blender jar for smoothies and the food processor attachment for batter/ aata.
Old 7th February 2022, 13:03   #9263
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for a microwave oven. This will be my first microwave oven. But the platform where it will be kept is just 40 cm deep so I think the size would be restricted to 20l only. Currently, the only activities I see ourselves doing is reheating, pop corn and once in a while baking cake from ready packs of Weikfield or Pillsbury.

Have browsed through last few pages and understood that the latest models don't have long life irrespective of brands. But among them is there anyone to be better than others? Does country of origin matter as some of them are from Malaysia / Thailand?

Also, with this small size of 20l, does it make sense to buy a convection one? I read some reviews and they say, when it comes baking, the top part gets overcooked while bottom remains undercooked when using the convection mode.
Old 7th February 2022, 14:58   #9264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Since I want to change them now, how do I choose the right geyser, so that the existing bolts can be used. This is a vertical cylinder style 25-30 lt geyser.
Geyser technology has vastly improved and sizes have shrunk as well. You may not be able to match the bolt fittings. Best best is to measure the existing mounting points + take lots of pictures and visit the local wholesaler. Check his prices and then you can compare online.

We have multiple AO Smith units and very happy with them.
Old 8th February 2022, 11:28   #9265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Currently, the only activities I see ourselves doing is reheating, pop corn and once in a while baking cake from ready packs of Weikfield or Pillsbury.

Also, with this small size of 20l, does it make sense to buy a convection one? I read some reviews and they say, when it comes baking, the top part gets overcooked while bottom remains undercooked when using the convection mode.
For your use, you would be better off sticking to the basic 20 L microwave oven. If you can get the basic mechanical controls type, all the better for longevity. Most of the microwave ovens we found in our repair tables were there for replacement of the electronics control panel and the usual magnetron replacement.

For serious baking needs, buy a separate OTG.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:19   #9266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, I am looking for a microwave oven...

If you are not a serious baker, I think it is wise to get a combo unit. You will also get a grill option. Plus you save space. You can experiment. Reheating pizza with a combination of microwave plus grill works best.

I think 20L is too small, 28L would accommodate most dish sizes.

I don't know about the overcooking / undercooking part, guess I don't even know how to distinguish between a correctly baked item from a variably baked item. Could it be due to the small (20L) size?
Old 8th February 2022, 12:23   #9267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Any feedback about Borosil products? Thinking of ordering this Borosil hand mixer, intended usage being whipping/beating cake batter, eggs etc.:

Borosil Smartmix 300-Watt Hand Mixer (Silver) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07BJH2MN2/...CFBXB7PF5PGA6P

Or am I better off ordering a comparable one from Philips? Any other recommendations below Rs.2000 are also welcome.
Most of the appliances sold are made in China. Some are excellent (QA by the brand) and some are mediocre. So I would go for a known brand, unless there are a ton of reviews in favour of a new brand.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:37   #9268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Croma had Preethi, Usha and Croma options in the food processor range.
There are two parts to heating up :

1. The motor heats up - then you require a better product.

2. The jar heats up - that is due to friction, so you have to use a lot of short cycles while grinding.

Regarding mixers, most of major South Indian brands are excellent for heavy duty grinding. I had various mixers in the last 45 years - Sumeet, Phillips, Singer etc, and all of them suffered from the problem of over heating.

Now I have "Preethi". The mixer has a heavy duty motor. What took 5 minutes to dry grind is now reduced to less than 1 minute, and I get a finer powder. The only thing I do not like is the wet grinding jar - you have to insert the rubber gasket properly and then hold the jar cover down with your hand, there is no locking. I guess it is due to very high speeds which spews out the liquid with a lot of force. A better designed jar with a locking lid would be ideal, but as the time is so short, I do not mind holding the lid down for a couple of minutes.

For grinding Idly/Dosa dough, I got a stone wet grinder. No mixer/grinder can beat this technology - stone grinding verses shredding by blade, cool mix as the grinder is slow speed (I think a 100W motor with geared drive to reduce the speed and increase the torque.

So if you want to grind dosa dough you need the "wet grinder' and for you dry glinding/liquidising a normal heavy dutu mixer.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:22   #9269
BHPian

Quote:
I recently purchased a 1000w Bosch mixer grinder juicer on Amazon. This does it's work pretty effectively though the jar heating up is still there, which is mostly due to the friction. The flow breaker they provide for effectively mixing the wet batter does a reasonably good job.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 14:37   #9270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Guys, need some help and suggestions please. I want to change the Geysers in my house and all of them were installed at the time of us shifting in, which was around 25 years ago. They are of a brand that are probably no longer in business. (Cascade)

You may not be able to match the existing mounting bolts since the geyser design has changed so much over the years.

Go for geysers with bottom and vertical mounted heating elements. These are cylindrical and look old school but work the best. Like this
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01L7DEN2E/?tag=tbhp0e-21

Avoid the square/rectangle shaped geysers since the heating element is in the front and the design leads to mixing of the cold water with hot water leading to inefficient hot water delivery. We have AO smith and Racold rectangular ones. Both are 20L but only one person can take bath with one heating cycle.

Also, if the existing geysers are 25L/30L , you can go for 20L in the current lineup since they are more efficient.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 8th February 2022 at 14:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks