Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 21:19   #9166
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Especially for folks with OCD, I know it will drive them crazy.
How do you think I noticed?
Quote:
Can you check the front-bottom if the threaded mounts can be turned to adjust the height? This can perhaps solve the weird tilt.
Yes, it can be adjusted (see below). The unit was wobbling a bit initially and the doors were a a bit misaligned. It was after the guy adjusted the leg to make it steady, the tilt became more prominent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not for safety but for folks who're careless enough to leave the door open. So the installation guys does this type of tile for regardless even if we're detailed to attention people.

Tilt a little backward & the door closes with ease, otherwise, the door closes till the edge, just enough to switch off the light inside, but still remains open for few mm. This happens over the years, not immediately though.
Your explanation makes perfect sense and sounds a much better one than the security one that is mentioned in the manual (yes, that's where I had read that) - unless they are talking about the refrigerator toppling on you during an earthquake.

The Home Appliance thread-sam2.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A slight tilt is indeed for for closing, but it shouldn't be visible tilted. Just enough.
Every time I look at it I am tempted to grab a screw driver and give a go at it. But I hold myself back scared that I might screw it up. Maybe I will eventually learn to live with it or gather enough courage to tinker with it.

Last edited by dragonfire : 30th November 2021 at 21:24.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 18:09   #9167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Every time I look at it I am tempted to grab a screw driver and give a go at it. But I hold myself back scared that I might screw it up.
It's not like a washing machine: you don't need a spirit level. Just make it look right, and be sure the door falls shut, not open. You could check a bowl of liquid on a shelf inside to make sure it looks reasonably level. You can't screw up.

(well, you can screw up, but don't worry: you can screw down as well )
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:53   #9168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Need to purchase two geysers for my house. Looking at storage geysers and see options for 15L and 25L ones. Are 15L ones good enough for normal family usage or do we need 25L ones for daily usage?

A good hot temperature for bathing is 45 to 50 degrees centigrade. The highest temperature that a geyser attains is around 95 degrees. So depending on the discharge rate of the shower you have different volumes for a shower. Assuming that the shower will mix cold and hot water equally :

For a normal shower head of 10L/m

. 15L geyser mixed with cold water = 30/10 = 3 minutes
. 25L geyser mixed with cold water = 50/10 = 5 minutes

For rain shower the discharge is > 20L/min so

. 15L = 1.5m
. 25L = 2.5m

So choose how long you want to shower and decide.

https://www.waterpik.com/shower-head...g-shower-head/
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 03:13   #9169
Senior - BHPian

Our 8 year old IFB Senator conked off a few days ago and the IFB as well as Urban clap guys quoted 10-12k for repair. Since we were anyways tired of the janky door and long normal cycle we opted for a new unit from Siemens, 8kg for 37.5k after discounts. Just got it installed today and ran a preliminary wash cycle today. Extremely silent with only 1 hour basic cycle and should result in some electricity saving too. The Siemens/Bosch guys who came to install were very good and the only ones on par with my AC guys.

There is one slight issue though. As noted by the technician and on the machine itself, water pressure is a bit low. I get an error but can still run the cycle but it takes marginally longer due to the extended fill time. No practical solution other than installing a booster pump since we are on the 2nd last floor.
HOWEVER I did not something that could solve this which I need you guys help with. We reused the old inlet pipe since the provided pipe was too short and needs to be routed behind some cabinets. The old pipe is around 3/4 or 5/8 inches diameter while the new pipe is 3/8 or 1/4 inches diameter. I was thinking if i replaced the pipe with a longer one of new diameter would that fix or reduce the issue since smaller diameter with same flow rate = higher pressure ? Thanks in advance
Old 7th December 2021, 16:24   #9170
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Any pointers of a good lab here in Bangalore for testing borewell water? Need to test this water majorly for drinking purposes and Dishwasher usage.

Thanks in advance.

Ramki
Old 7th December 2021, 16:43   #9171
BHPian

Recommendations for an AC in Mumbai please. Sick and tired of getting ACs repaired here. Daikin has been worst of the lot.
Old 7th December 2021, 17:57   #9172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Any pointers of a good lab here in Bangalore for testing borewell water? Need to test this water majorly for drinking purposes and Dishwasher usage
Pls review this thread, you might be able to find something useful.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:28   #9173
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Recommendations for an AC in Mumbai please. Sick and tired of getting ACs repaired here. Daikin has been worst of the lot.
Older ACs were generally more robust and lasted longer. Not sure if any specific brand is worse off than the other today.

My latest (three years old now) are few Blue Star ones with copper pipes and they seem to be holding fine.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:50   #9174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are having perennial problems with AC, then you must be living in an area that corrodes the AC. There are such areas in Delhi also, where the AC's last barely a year or two before pipes and fins start leaking.

The best option is to get an AC that
1. Is protected against corrosion - many models have extra coating on fins and pipes.

2. One that has a comprehensive warranty for at least 5 years. LG is one of those companies that provides a comprehensive extended warranty for their 5 start Inverter AC's. Practically everything is covered - Labour, Gas, Heat Exchangers, Pipes, Motors etc. I now have 4 LG Inverter AC's all with 5 years extended warranty (15K initially, now reduced to 10K and the last one is 8K for existing customers). Other manufacturers are also introducing similar schemes.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 15:13   #9175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're looking for something like the old time General ACs - an excellent product with lesser chances of failure, but limited support (expensive support, in this case) - worth checking out Mitsubishi Heavy Industries' ACs. This isn't the same as Mitsubishi Electric.

For whatever it is worth, I also check the weight and physical size of an AC while deciding. Also the size of the indoor unit. Aesthetics aside, heavier & bigger is better.

Last edited by Poitive : 8th December 2021 at 15:14. Reason: Typo
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:03   #9176
BHPian

My area in Bangalore is cursed with very hard water. The geyser I use now (a bajaj one) needs frequent repair due to salt deposit. Please recommend a good geyser (15 liter) which needs low maintenance in hard water environment.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:38   #9177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My area in Bangalore is cursed with very hard water. The geyser I use now (a bajaj one) needs frequent repair due to salt deposit. Please recommend a good geyser (15 liter) which needs low maintenance in hard water environment.
What's the TDS level? If it's anything post 1000 PPM, then, no second thoughts, simply settle with Venus STORAGE water heater. There's also Venus instant water heater, please do not opt for it for hard water. We've been using Venus Lyra for over 5 years now & it started making noises when heating for last 6 months or so. We are determined not to open & fix until it's broken.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:39   #9178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please recommend a good geyser (15 liter) which needs low maintenance in hard water environment.
Honestly, I think it is called "water softener plus geyser."

Unless there is some surface that the deposits don't stick to? Ceramic/glass-lined? Don't have this problem, but would be interested to know.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 11:31   #9179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hard water will not only affect the geyser, but every other item that comes in contact with this water - taps, tiles, cooking vessels etc. The residue hardens after some time and practically impossible to remove.

In my opinion, the best remedy is to get a water softener or RO for the whole house, that is at the inlet to the house.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 12:09   #9180
BHPian

Anyone got a recommendation for a good set of kitchen knives? I am fed up of buying ones from Amazon etc that are cheap rebranded versions of basically the same thing.

Looking for a really good set that can last a while, budget within reason, is not limited.

Last posts on this thread for knives were back in 2014 so hoping some new recommendations come up!

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks