Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 12:14   #9046
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

^^ Switch over to Surf Excelmatic top load liquid detergernt or equivalent, use machine specific detergent only and not handwash detergent. Before that buy a few packs of LG machine descaling powder (actually any brand will do) and descale as per instructions given a couple of times, with a gap of about ten days betrween descaling. I always usually switch off the power for a couple of hours after the descaling powder fuly dissolves and the machine stops agitating, before switching on again and allowing the cycle to finish. Thereafter do it once a month regularly. I have a Whirlpool top load macine and find this helpful.

Ideally do this after you finish your stock of powder detergent, and once you descale, never use powder again. But note that one pack of descaling powder once a month will cost almost as much as a kg of detergent! But I find it worthwile.

I buy the top load liquid detergent (Surf Excelmatic or Wipro Safewashmatic) from Amazon once a year during festive sale, about 8 two litre refill packs at a time. We can buy at about Rs 100 off from MRP per 2 litre pack. Sometimes they will ration it as two packs per head, so we will have to use multiple accounts of family members. Available on Flipkart also, but usually a bit more expensive compared to Amazon.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:07   #9047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Every now and then, I'm observing muck collecting in our LG top load washing machine...lint filter are cleaned very regularly
Boss, issue is with the filters; if you're able to record/observe the inflow of water into the WM, you can conclude to an extent. If the water flow is good, the filters might've gone kaput.

Having owned top loaders for over 20+ years & switched to front loader couple of years ago, I'm sorry to say, FL is way too good & the technology is superior way in which they wash.

For LG, I'm not sure where to check for filters, from my experience (have to clean once in 3 weeks) the filters are located right at the tap, then an entry into WM.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:44   #9048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Switch over to Surf Excelmatic top load liquid detergernt or equivalent, use machine specific detergent only and not handwash detergent. Before that buy a few packs of LG machine descaling powder...
Thanks Gansan. I have a LG top load washing machine. Took your suggestion and ordered the Surf Excel Matic liquid detergent and the LG descaling powder. Will use them once my present pack of Surf Excel Matic powder is over.
Old 21st October 2021, 15:09   #9049
BHPian

Hi,

Any good options for cordless vacuum cleaners against Dyson which are cost effective as well?

I am looking for a cordless one which can be used for cleaning corners of ceiling.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:19   #9050
Distinguished - BHPian

LG microwave dead.

Well, not dead, but not heating. Making a loud low-frequency buzz. It may be ten years old, the what's-a-name-atron* was replaced in 2016.

We'll see what service guy has to say. If not resurrected, I want an inverter mocrowave. Panasonic seem to make some good ones, I like, for instance, no turntable, but they don't seem to sell them in India, grrr. So it would be LG or Samsung.

But I'm thinking this one will probably be fixed, so no new kitchen toy for me this time.

*Magnetron. I forgot the word.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st October 2021 at 16:26.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:25   #9051
Distinguished - BHPian

So after TWO weeks, the issue with our LG fridge looks resolved, finally.

Background: fridge was not cooling, so we raised a request. One technician came and did some repairs. The evaporator coil was replaced and gas refilled.

However, in less than 48 hours, the problem recurred. The diagnosis was obviously wrong, and hence problem was not resolved.

Second request raised. I tweeted to LG India. Calls from their NOida and Hyderabad offices saying that a senior technician would come. However, the same guy came. He could not find the issue and went away. The guy came again after two days with nitrogen (?) to try find source of leak. No luck. Fridge dead.

I then escalated via LG's webpage with the "Mail to CEO office" link.

Two days later, a senior technician came. Mr Syeed Abid, a Kashmiri. He checked everything patiently, and agreed that the initial diagnosis was incorrect. He found the condensor to be the faulty part.

So another 2 days later, Mr Abid brought a condensor and a compressor. Both parts replaced. Unlike the previous junior guys who wanted to close the ticket the same day, Mr Abid wants to keep the fridge under observation for 2-3 days before closing the ticket. He even waited about 30-40 minutes after his work, to check if cooling had started.

Per Mr. Abid, the reason for replacement of the compressor was - after 2-3 refills, the compressor becomes weak and cooling will be affected. He also said that escalation via Twitter was rare. But it was a frustrating time for us: getting a higher capacity fridge, and 4th service in 3 years, slow responses, incorrect diagnosis - all this was not a pleasant experience with a product that is quite an essential item in today's households.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:42   #9052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
LG microwave dead.

Well, not dead, but not heating. Making a loud low-frequency buzz. It may be ten years old, the what's-a-name-atron* was replaced in 2016.

We'll see what service guy has to say. If not resurrected, I want an inverter mocrowave. Panasonic seem to make some good ones, I like, for instance, no turntable, but they don't seem to sell them in India, grrr. So it would be LG or Samsung.

But I'm thinking this one will probably be fixed, so no new kitchen toy for me this time.

Microwave has lifespan not more than 10 Years. We had two LG MW (one in Bangalore other at home town) both were dead around 10th year. Magnetron was the culprit and replacement cost in excess of 2,500 plus service. Hence discarded both and got two LG MC3286BRUM. My advise, get all LG products from LG brand store. They offer better price.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:14   #9053
BHPian

Quote:
LG microwave dead.

Well, not dead, but not heating. Making a loud low-frequency buzz.
Quote:
.........the what's-a-name-atron* was replaced in 2016.
Sounds a bit Transformers-ish no?. 7 years seems a good life for an extraterrestrial, so just change it. DIY is very much possible. While changing its a good practice to also change the Capacitor.

Quote:
I want an inverter microwave. Panasonic seem to make some good ones, I like, for instance, no turntable, but they don't seem to sell them in India, grrr. So it would be LG or Samsung.
Do they really make an inverter type microwave?. I always though that inverter tech was for the motors only. DC motors have better speed control than AC ones. The only moving part in a microwave is the turntable and why do you want to control that speed?.

Last edited by srini1785 : 21st October 2021 at 17:25.
Old 21st October 2021, 19:00   #9054
BHPian

Hi,
Anybody installed any BLDC fan/s at home. Any pointers about best reliable BLDC fan today? Thanks.

Last edited by ramki067 : 21st October 2021 at 19:05.
ramki067 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:07   #9055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi,
Anybody installed any BLDC fan/s at home. Any pointers about best reliable BLDC fan today? Thanks.
No comment on this specific model/brand, but check out the noise levels of BLDC fans. I had a couple installed recently in a bedroom and living room, both were noisier than the original fans they replaced, especially speed level 3 onwards.
Old 21st October 2021, 20:15   #9056
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I got my first BLDC fan installed 3 months back in the living room. It is atomberg efficio+ 1400mm. No issues so far. As mentioned by skumare it is bit noisy especially in speeds 4 and 5
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 20:57   #9057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
I got my first BLDC fan installed 3 months back in the living room. It is atomberg efficio+ 1400mm. No issues so far. As mentioned by skumare it is bit noisy especially in speeds 4 and 5
Must be assembly issue, please tighten the blades properly. I have 4 in my house and it does not make that level of noise even if it is in boost mode.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 00:02   #9058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Sounds a bit Transformers-ish no?. 7 years seems a good life for an extraterrestrial, so just change it. DIY is very much possible. While changing its a good practice to also change the Capacitor.
Thanks. No, I don't do DIY on electricals/electronics. If the service guy can fix it, it's fixed. If not, it's dead.
Quote:
Do they really make an inverter type microwave?. I always though that inverter tech was for the motors only. DC motors have better speed control than AC ones. The only moving part in a microwave is the turntable and why do you want to control that speed?.
Certainly! If you want to microwave at half power, the thing runs continuously at half power, not full power for 50% of the time.

There are also microwaves without turntables too. More capacity, less to clean.
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:15   #9059
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. No, I don't do DIY on electricals/electronics. If the service guy can fix it, it's fixed. If not, it's dead.

Certainly! If you want to microwave at half power, the thing runs continuously at half power, not full power for 50% of the time.

There are also microwaves without turntables too. More capacity, less to clean.
Yes. They have inverters for microwave oven too. The standard mains transformer which feeds the Magnetron is a bulky component that even when turned off consumes around 40-80 VA. If you switch it to Defrost mode, the oven remains on in a 20 % cycle and this could result in avoidable consumption.
With improved power electronics, an inverter in the place of the conventional transformer helps to keep the power consumption low.

That is the theory. In practice, it adds to the complexity and it is still rare to find a full inverter Microwave oven. It is not major item in Indian houses and that is the reason why you hardly find any here.

Magnetrons live a hard life. They work with high currents and high voltages - reason enough for short life. Another thing which is the reason for their premature end is arcing - induced by metal inside the oven. A carelessly left metal spoon can often be the reason for early death of these Vacuum Tubes.

If you used them carefully, they last a long time.

Last edited by Prowler : 22nd October 2021 at 10:20.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:38   #9060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I have been using the Atomberg Efficio fan since last 8 months and our usage is quite high average >20hrs/day. So far I found it good and reliable, not sure of its long term reliability, although the Atomberg gives a (2+1)years warranty. Hope I will never use it
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks