Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 20:30   #9796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I have a 10 year old Kaff chimney ... Are there any reliable websites that sell these spares?
KAFF?

We have not had the filter replaced, but we got a new motor for our chimney, which is closer to 15 years old.
Old 12th November 2022, 15:18   #9797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Wireless mouse works best with rechargeable batteries. In my case batteries - normal would last 2 weeks max, alkaline 4 weeks and rechargeable 4 weeks, but they are rechargeable after all.
I am think of getting rechargeable batteries & a charger for my mouse.

Amazon has the Envie Charger + Rechargeable batteries at a very good price. Any idea about the quality? I checked international sites & they seem to think it's value for money.

It comes with 4 Ni-mh/Ni-cd Rechargeable Batteries - 2 of AA 2800 mAh and 2 of AAA 800 mA.

Will this work well for my wireless mouse?
Old 12th November 2022, 16:07   #9798
Distinguished - BHPian

I always buy eneloop rechargable batteries. The charge has a long shelf life
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 17:25   #9799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
It comes with 4 Ni-mh/Ni-cd Rechargeable Batteries - 2 of AA 2800 mAh and 2 of AAA 800 mA.
Look for some other deal and avoid Ni-Cd Batteries, if possible (obsolete technology)
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 07:49   #9800
Senior - BHPian

Like some others here I am also now in the hunt to replace my washing machine (LG top load) and fridge (Samsung double door). The point is, both these were purchased in 2008 and have been on the trot ever since. They are the very definition of "fill it-shut-it-forget-it." Neither of them looks like it will give up soon, but I dont want to wait till the day the fridge especially conks off. My requirements for the fridge are nothing fancy, just a regular 2-door one with about 350 Ltr plus (400 would be ideal). I dont know whether new age terms like "smart invertor" and turbo cool/ semi on-off (much like the 1.5 TSI EVO active cylinder) etc even work or not.
For the washing machine, I am still torn between top loading and front loading, my view is that top loading has a bit more advantage with a more flexible programming, easy load/unload and "stop-it" any time option by simply lifting the lid. The front load may be a bit resource friendly. I am looking at about 7-8 kgs capacity. Went over to a nearby Croma's and saw the usual Korean duo dominating. But I also found some Croma models for about 40 % less. Any experience with these?
For some added variety (and a somewhat vague personal fantasy) I liked the Panasonic model too. There is something about Panasonic =reliable that is baked in me. I have had Panasonic TVs since 2008 again, only switched one model for better tech (4K) . But no issues whatsoever (I guess we all have our legendary Sony/Panasonic stories) . So would like some recommendations from recent and not-so-recent users. The logical choice is obvious, but somewhere I feel the next set of machines from LG/Samsung wont last as much.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th November 2022 at 07:51.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 08:44   #9801
BHPian

Quote:
Batteries usually last long in wireless mouse. I remember changing the battery once or twice max in its lifetime. Do you really have to invest in rechargeable batteries?

BTW, what is the mouse is in question here?
Old 14th November 2022, 09:24   #9802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
So would like some recommendations from recent and not-so-recent users. The logical choice is obvious, but somewhere I feel the next set of machines from LG/Samsung wont last as much.
Inverters make up most of the portfolio for Samsung and LG products. Its essentially energy savings and one that actually works, when you use it right. In air conditioning & refrigeration, the system basically reduces the speed of the compressor when there is a lighter load or when desired temperature has been achieved or is close to that figure.

My folks picked up a new Samsung refrigerator recently. Link. Its much bigger than what you're after. Its only been 3 months so can't comment on longevity.

As for washings machines, I have found washing results better with a front load. I use a top load now. Most front loads come with built in heating too which results in better washing results. Most top load units don't have built in heating and need a hot water line connected to them. If you're someone who does like to bend (you have a weak back) while loading/unloading clothes, then Top Loading is your only option. You may want to pay attention to noise too. My last IFB made a noise so loud when it was on its spin cycle that it sounded like a jet engine. I am sure newer models have improved on this. Dependable machines though. My current machine, an Electrolux, makes a little whine like an electric car on full chat.

The Koreans have the upper hand primarily due to service. I have no idea about Panasonic. They make excellent products but I don't know what their service is like in India.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th November 2022 at 09:27.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:56   #9803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Neither of them looks like it will give up soon, but I dont want to wait till the day the fridge especially conks off.
I would suggest not replacing stuff till it conks off. I find the current generation of electronics/appliances to be not as rugged the previous generation ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Inverters make up most of the portfolio for Samsung and LG products. Its essentially energy savings and one that actually works, when you use it right.
The amount of energy used by a Fridge or a washing machine is very less anyway. I am not sure that additional money paid for an inverter machine is worth it. Additional money paid for energy saving only makes sense for appliances with high energy consumption like an AC.

But it's becoming very difficult to get non-inverter appliances. I don't think LG or Samsung make any at all.

Last edited by carboy : 14th November 2022 at 10:59.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:00   #9804
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Batteries usually last long in wireless mouse. I remember changing the battery once or twice max in its lifetime. Do you really have to invest in rechargeable batteries?

BTW, what is the mouse is in question here?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5412390 (The Home Appliance thread)
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:44   #9805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The amount of energy used by a Fridge or a washing machine is very less anyway.
Depends on one's definition of "less".

On a refrigerator 500l and over, power consumption is quite high so a variable speed Inverter compressor does help versus one that just cycles on and off.

For washing machines, its down to use. A large family that washes clothes every second day will definitely notice a difference. On a fixed speed washing machine, the drive motor rotates the drum at the same speed irrespective of load. The power consumption is the same whether you are doing a light duty cycle or a full load. On a Inverter unit, the motor speed can be varied based on the load. This helps reduce power consumption.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 07:36   #9806
Senior - BHPian

Recommendation needed for a chorded, dry, bag-less vacuum cleaner needed. We were looking at this LG. Unfortunately LG India have stopped selling it and it uses a 16Amp plug. There are not many at my folks house other than the ones used for the Aircon, which are located too far away from the area where the unit needs to be used.

Are Eureka Forbes any good these days?

We want something that has adjustable (...and good) suction power (Blower will be a plus though not mandatory) while not making you go deaf. For noise reference, a Philips PowerPro Expert at 82db.
Old 24th November 2022, 12:32   #9807
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Recommendation needed for a chorded, dry, bag-less vacuum cleaner needed. ...
uses a 16Amp plug. There are not many at my folks house other than the ones used for the Aircon,
Had asked almost same question few months back. Ended up buying an an AmazonBasics one with bag. It uses a 6A socket, 2 pin plug on a non retractable cord. It starts at low rpm and reaches normal speed in a few seconds, thus avoiding the initial surge current.

Does not have the auto cord retract, or the zillion attachments that come with Eureka Forbes ones, (only 2 or 3 attachments) makes a racket while working, sucks (the dust and dirt), won't burn a hole in your pocket. It was below ₹ 5k.

It is a lid-on-the-bucket type. You can use it without the bag, but that'd cause occasional particle of dust to escape from the lower dust collection bin. The dust collection bag is not disposable. Empty dust into a garbage bag when needed.

When we got it, there were 2 models, the lower powered one was out of stock, the higher powers one was just launched. Purchase was made from wife's account, so will have to ask her for details of you want.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 13:15   #9808
Senior - BHPian

Just placed order for a LG 9kg front loading washing machine to replace a 11yr old Samsung top load.

Hope it serves us well
Old 24th November 2022, 14:47   #9809
BHPian

How are Samsung Dishwashers? Our limited usage doesn't warrant buying a premium brand like Bosch/Siemens.
Old 24th November 2022, 15:23   #9810
BHPian

Quote:

Amazon has the Envie Charger + Rechargeable batteries at a very good price. Any idea about the quality? I checked international sites & they seem to think it's value for money.

Will this work well for my wireless mouse?
I use Duracell 2500mAh NiMh AA batteries. They have been working great for mouse and electric toothbrush

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks