Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 07:36   #9766
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Any idea of shops in Trivandrum where dishwasher detergent/salt/rinse aid is available ? I tried some leading margin free shops and Spencer with no result.
Pothys, Reliance, and Lulu are the only likely places where you might find these. Margin fees are based on big volumes, narrow range of merchandise and unlikely to carry these. Even the More stores carry a limited range of products in Kerala.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:38   #9767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Thanks for the information. Any idea of shops in Trivandrum where dishwasher detergent/salt/rinse aid is available ? I tried some leading margin free shops and Spencer with no result. Finally had to order from Amazon.
I buy it from the Bosch service center If not available, then amazon it is.

The bosch asc even had fortune tabs but i felt they were too harsh on the vessels and switched back to bosch tablets.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:25   #9768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Some rants and queries as renovation work at my house progress.

Workers and contractor is aghast at the idea of placing the front load washing under the kitchen table top. For them, it is etched in stone that a kitchen counter is at 82 cm from finished flooring. It simply does not occur that counter top had to suit user height. Ergonomics is something to be confined to the internet and YouTube videos. "your money, your house, you'll be the one using, but we will do the with our way, or no way". Way out is to avoid the concrete slab and the modular kitchen contractor and get a stainless steel frame fabricated on which the granite slab will be placed. Want to leave the floor below the counter accessible for vacuum cleaning.

I intend to place the counters for cooking area at 82 cm (will be a cook top stove) and working area including wash basin at 92 cm.

Second, having followed the long exchanges about the kitchen hob / chimney etc, decided to go with exhaust fan. Looking for BLDC fan. And can find only one model from atomberg capable of above 1000 cum per minute suction. Any alternative brands? Or should I go with a non BLDC exhaust for the kitchen?

Third, any brand / model / feature suggestions for the wall switches and sockets? The present anchor brand ones have lasted 35+ years.
1. The height of the counter top is calculated to give the user most comfort. Normally the top surface should be at elbow height of the user. Any higher it would cause long term damage to the elbows and the hands. So do not raise the platform height just to accomodate any appliances below it.

2. No matter how efficient an exhaust fan is, unless it can evacuate the oily smoke from the hob, the oil will ultimately spread all around the kitchen. That is why Chimney is so popular. We used to have exhaust fan in our kitchen for more than 40 years and oil accumulating on the walls and other surfaces was a constant menace, till we installed the chimney.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 15:03   #9769
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, a chimney works. I even use it to avoid tears when cutting onions!

Also, when not running, an exhaust fan is a gaping hole for mosquitoes/etc to gain free entry.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 20:48   #9770
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Also, when not running, an exhaust fan is a gaping hole for mosquitoes/etc to gain free entry.
There are 2 ways around this.

- The window's mosquito netting is outside of the exhaust fan - my bathroom exhaust arrangement is like this

- My kitchen exhaust fan is closed on the outside with flaps/shutters (built into the fan frame) when it's off. When it's on, the air pressure from fan opens the flaps/shutters & keeps them open. I think this kind of exhaust fan is easily available & not expensive either.

Last edited by carboy : 27th October 2022 at 20:49.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 21:28   #9771
BANNED

There are plenty of products like these.

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20221027212326_firefox.jpg

Some exhaust fans, especially the ones from atomberg, claim to be insect proof. Planning these lovers in the bathroom anyway.
Old 27th October 2022, 23:49   #9772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
- My kitchen exhaust fan is closed on the outside with flaps/shutters (built into the fan frame) when it's off. ...
Yes, these are super. Such a clever and effective mechanism! We have one in a recently-built bathroom.

But for kitchen use? Imagine the oil+dust. Chimney with filters is the purpose-made product.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 00:54   #9773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, these are super. Such a clever and effective mechanism! We have one in a recently-built bathroom.

But for kitchen use? Imagine the oil+dust. Chimney with filters is the purpose-made product.
Even chimneys have varying levels of effectiveness and noise. In my previous house we had a Faber which was on paper really strong but in reality a total dud. It made a lot of noise but barely worked.

In comparison my current Miele integrated extractor is super quiet but very very effective. Even when deepfrying fish, there is no oil residue anywhere. Absolutely top class performance even though the on paper figures are no way close to the made in india chimneys from faber/elica/kaff etc.

I am honestly super impressed by all the Miele equipment I purchased. Each one of them - oven, microwave, dishwasher, chimney, warming drawer have fabulous performance and are so thoughtfully built with no obvious flaws.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 28th October 2022 at 00:56.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 07:57   #9774
BHPian

Looking for some recommendations on a washing machine to replace my current 6-7 year old LG Top load machine. The place where I stay has super hard water. I use the machine every day thanks to the number of people in the household. I heard the front load ones consume too much of electricity and water, and that the difference in the cleaning output over the top load doesn’t warrant the upfront cost and the operating cost. Any recommendations on a reasonably good machine at a good price? No specific upper limit in mind, but obviously not looking to spend silly money like 50k or whatever.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:21   #9775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I heard the front load ones consume too much of electricity and water, and that the difference in the cleaning output over the top load doesn’t warrant the upfront cost and the operating cost.
On the contrary, Front Loading machines consume less water. Electrical consumption is comparable and largely depends on the temperature at which clothes need to be washed.
The Water drained off after wash contains enough Soap. I have not fixed the drain permanently but loosely inserted in the Floor Drain. I collect the first run off from the machine in a Bucket and it is nearly 15 litres.
This is used to wash the mops and floor mats.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 10:30   #9776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a metal mesh fixed on a frame on the outside. The home minister is strictly anti lizard/cockroach/mosquitoes
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:30   #9777
BANNED

Quote:
difference in the cleaning output over the top load doesn’t warrant the upfront cost
I have used top loaders for most of my life but I have also used a front loader a few times (at hotel & short term stays) but I didn't find any significant difference in the cleaning. A top loader is good enough for most people.

Quote:
Looking for some recommendations on a washing machine to replace my current 6-7 year old LG Top load machine.
I would recommend Samsung. Both LG & Samsung have top notch service, but these days I find LG quality to be hit & miss.

Last edited by carboy : 28th October 2022 at 13:32.
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:57   #9778
Senior - BHPian

Looking for suggestions for the below items.

1. Inverter Refrigerator
2. Hood
3. Inverter Split Air conditioner 1 Ton
4. BLDC Fans
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:53   #9779
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
1. Inverter Refrigerator
2. Hood
3. Inverter Split Air conditioner 1 Ton
4. BLDC Fans
Refrigerator - currently two Samsungs in the family. But you need to specify the size / capacity. I suggest 240 l two door Frost free as a point to start your search.

Hood - specify width of the stove and features / type like Filterless, re circulating etc auto clean and ofcourse, those with BLDC fans. I'm myself going with atomberg 250 mm BLDC exhaust and not installing hood right now. Results will be know after at least 3-4 months. Can't find BLDC exhaust fans from other brands. Not on Amazon anyway.

If you mean ceiling fans - only limited range is there outside of atomberg. The downside is wobbling in some pieces. Search this thread for details. A brick and mortar stores says these are susceptible b to voltage fluctuations during thunderstorms. He is clear that power saving is an advantage outweighs this minor hiccup.
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:57   #9780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Refrigerator - currently two Samsungs in the family. But you need to specify the size / capacity. I suggest 240 l two door Frost free as a point to start your search.

Hood - specify width of the stove and features / type like Filterless, re circulating etc auto clean and ofcourse, those with BLDC fans. I'm myself going with atomberg 250 mm BLDC exhaust and not installing hood right now. Results will be know after at least 3-4 months. Can't find BLDC exhaust fans from other brands. Not on Amazon anyway.

If you mean ceiling fans - only limited range is there outside of atomberg. The downside is wobbling in some pieces. Search this thread for details. A brick and mortar stores says these are susceptible b to voltage fluctuations during thunderstorms. He is clear that power saving is an advantage outweighs this minor hiccup.

Apologies, I should have been clearer.

1. Inverter Refrigerator : 235 - 280 litres double door. Not looking for anything fancy. Something that will run like a Toyota. (Long lasting and gives minimum to no trouble)

2. Hood : Again, anything that will run forever will minimum maintenance. I'm not looking for the fancy ones with sensor tech, manual ones will do just fine as long as the primary objective of removing oil and smells is met. I'm not buying a hob now, but something that is suitable for a 4 burner hob will do.

3. Inverter Split Air conditioner 1 Ton : Room sizes 97 -110 sq ft, I'm guessing a 1 ton should be sufficient for this. Please suggest some brand that works well and doesn't break down often. So far, have been using window aircons. Those have been running fine for 9+ years with just regular cleaning of filters. On the contrary, I have heard nothing but horror stories about split air conditioners, irrespective of the brand.

4. BLDC Ceiling Fans : Looking to buy BLDC fans for the living and dining areas. I might just carry over the existing Crompton fans for the bedrooms. I haven't considered buying a ceiling fan for the kitchen, but suggestions are always welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks