Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:27   #9781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Looking for some recommendations on a washing machine to replace my current 6-7 year old LG Top load machine...
Also check out the Bosch range of machines. Using them across the family and they are very silent, wash well and are easy to use.
Old 2nd November 2022, 16:25   #9782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I intend to place the counters for cooking area at 82 cm (will be a cook top stove) and working area including wash basin at 92 cm.

Second, having followed the long exchanges about the kitchen hob / chimney etc, decided to go with exhaust fan.
I have a parallel kitchen setup (one platform for cooking and another for sink, dishwasher and chopping)

I have kept the cooking platform at 33 inch height/24 inch depth and the working platform at 36 inch height/26 inch depth.

I find this setup to be perfect for someone with average height. The lower cooking platform provides good visibility and the higher working platform provides perfect ergonomics for chopping and using the sink. The dishwasher also fits easily under it with 1 inch to spare.

I would advise you to seriously reconsider your decision regarding not having a chimney. Go for a budget model if you have a budget constraint. An exhaust fan cannot replace a chimney.

Go for BLDC motor models if you are concerned about the noise. (I have purchased Elica BLDC ismart chimney which is less noisy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Thanks for the information. Any idea of shops in Trivandrum where dishwasher detergent/salt/rinse aid is available ? I tried some leading margin free shops and Spencer with no result. Finally had to order from Amazon.
You can buy these from IFB website.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 2nd November 2022 at 16:26.
rohan_iitr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:46   #9783
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Query for a friend who is moving cities and setting up home (2 member family in a small rented accommodation), looking for recommendations:
1. Water Heater - I guess 10 litre storage capacity will do ? Current shortlist is Havells

2. 2 door refrigerator - they are looking for a slightly bigger one around 250 litre capacity. Current shortlist is LG and Whirlpool

3. Queen size bed - Sheesham or engineered wood ? I had suggested Urban Ladder or Pepperfry, any others ?

Any other missing brands that you'd recommend for items 1 to 3 ?
Old 7th November 2022, 13:01   #9784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Query for a friend who is moving cities and setting up home (2 member family in a small rented accommodation), looking for recommendations:
1. Water Heater - I guess 10 litre storage capacity will do ? Current shortlist is Havells
10 liter would be too small if the intention is to have a 10 minute shower. I would suggest atleast 20 liters or better still 25 liters.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:36   #9785
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not an instant-heat thingy?

I had one of those in a rented place. There was an instant-heater in the shower, and a big-tank thing in the kitchen. I hated the big-tank thing and wished I could have instant there too.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:47   #9786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Usually instant heat thingies have high rated heating elements to heat the water fast while the storage water heaters have about 1 to 2.5 KW heating elements as they are not in a great deal of hurry to heat the water going by the conventional wisdom.
If you are in a rented premises, they may not have rigged thicker cables to feed your instant heater.

It might be an instant way to start the fire. I am reminded of an old saying - Don't smoke from your bed for the ashes falling down may be your own !
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:36   #9787
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. This is what was fitted before I moved in. It did not give any problems, although I knew that the wiring was generally only fit for low-power things.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 15:02   #9788
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ It may or may not help in cases like these, but I prefer to wire high wattage appliances like geysers & ACs using an MCB as a switch.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 15:20   #9789
BHPian

Quote:
From what i know, instant water thingy needs to have the water running constantly through it. Any stoppage would result in a steam bath.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 18:37   #9790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
... instant water thingy needs to have the water running constantly through it...
It is fifteen years ago, I don't recall, but I do not recall it giving any inconvenience. Perhaps it is not environmentally good, but I do keep the water running for the duration of a shower.

The storage tank was just above the bathroom, so there was not much head. Perhaps these things work best in a low-pressure situation.

Actually, in that house, my neighbour had lost a daughter to electrocution in the shower. I'm very happy to keep electricity out of bathrooms!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:49   #9791
BANNED

Godrej Interio,, Damro, Zuari (not the cement brand) and IndRoyal are some brands that are present in factory made engineered wood furniture space. Make sure you get a bed of adequate height including the mattress. Too low or too high can be very uncomfortable.

I'm no fan of small capacity water heaters,, Unless you prefer collecting water in a bucket, go for a 15 L or bigger model. As you shower, hot water is replaced by water at ambient temperature. Every drop drawn reduces temperature of the next drop. Bigger capacity means the reduction is relatively smaller sure to the higher total water in the heater, so the drop in temperature will be less sharp.

Most heaters are 2kW, irrespective of capacity.

I have a 15 year old Venus that has lost its insulation efficiency only in past 24 months and the company says insulation can be replaced / fixed.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 21:09   #9792
BANNED

Quote:

I had one of those in a rented place. There was an instant-heater in the shower, and a big-tank thing in the kitchen. I hated the big-tank thing and wished I could have instant there too.
I currently have a storage heater. But I have had an instant geyser for a long time earlier at previous homes. It's pretty decent for a warm place like Mumbai. When I was a kid, instant heaters were the norm in Mumbai.

Last edited by carboy : 7th November 2022 at 21:10.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 11:51   #9793
Senior - BHPian

We have had instant water heaters for over 15 years, and then replaced them with storage type. 20L or more is desirable. Why? The water in geyser is around 85 degrees, while bathing water is around 45 degrees. So when you mix you get about 40L of hot water from a 20L geyser. Now, the shower discharge rate is between 3L and 15L/m. Taking a mean of 8L, 40L will be enough for 5 minutes of shower. So depending on the shower discharge (you can get it from manufacturer's site) and the length of shower you want to take you can calculate the geyser capacity.

One advantage of storage type geyser is that with modern insulation the water remains hot for at least one day, so any extra hot water remaining can be used at a later stage.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:43   #9794
BHPian

I have a 10 year old Kaff chimney that needs a replacement for the filter. I was trying to search for this online but not getting any leads. Are there any reliable websites that sell these spares?
Old 11th November 2022, 20:18   #9795
BHPian

Having lots of trouble with my Bosch washing Machine bought in 2017 with 1.5 years of non usage during covid.

I lost confidence in Bosch authrised folks the moment they decided to repalce shockers by just looking at machine with a single spin cycle. It did not helped that they quoted me X amount initially & than quoted 2X within next 12 hours.

Got a guy from Onsitego who balanced the machine and she was good for last 2-3 months. Now, She won,t power On. I do hear tick tick from relays but no Luck with LCD panel .

Fearing the worst, I am looking for a good technician recommendations in NCR who can fix her for once & all. Any help will be Appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks