Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2022, 13:18   #9856
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can you change a 5A socket to the a 16A one using a socket converter? Doesn't the point itself need to be a 16A one in the first place?
Changing Socket physically is one thing, but Wiring, ELCB, Breaker etc. rated to the Current drawn is another important issue to look into first.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 13:29   #9857
BANNED

There are multiple issues with using a 16 A device on a 6 A source. First, a device with a motor needs higher current at start up. Second, the continuous load might heat the wires as well as socket contacts. All this, if the MCB does not trip earlier. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm using this Amazon basics https://amzn.eu/d/5CDgsKM
Old 11th December 2022, 17:14   #9858
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Changing Socket physically is one thing, but Wiring, ELCB, Breaker etc. rated to the Current drawn is another important issue to look into first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
There are multiple issues with using a 16 A device on a 6 A source.

Yes, that was my point. Using a socket converter will not be the right thing to do.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 20:08   #9859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Appreciated.

What is the Power Pro model you have? How long have you or can you operate the unit in one go?

I have an older Power Pro too. Going strong for over 3+ years. The Eureka Forbes came up primarily due to lower price, the benefit of a blower and a regular 6amp plug. The Philips 5000 series we are considering has no blower and needs a 16amp socket. Rather unusual for a compact vacuum cleaner. Anyways, we have decided to go with the Philips. Will get a plug socket converter or change one of the sockets in the house to take a 16 amp plug.
I have this model:

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/FC9352...vacuum-cleaner

This one also is designed to be operated with 16A source afaik. But I've been running it off the regular 6A socket and have faced no issues in the past two years. I'd be surprised if Philips hasn't incorporated an internal circuit to adapt to the power source. I assume the motor runs at full capacity when drawing 16A, but when connected to a 6A source it probably runs at a slightly lower capacity. But I'm just thinking out loud here. No way to know until I take the thing apart. A home vacuum cleaner designed to only work on a 16A supply is a very bad engineering decision. I'm sure Philips has considered practicality.

Last edited by vedirah : 11th December 2022 at 20:09.
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 20:39   #9860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
. I'd be surprised if Philips hasn't incorporated an internal circuit to adapt to the power source. I assume the motor runs at full capacity when drawing 16A, but when connected to a 6A source it probably runs at a slightly lower capacity. But I'm just thinking out loud here. No way to know until I take the thing apart. A home vacuum cleaner designed to only work on a 16A supply is a very bad engineering decision. I'm sure Philips has considered practicality.
Power electronics always pull whatever current they need. If the device is pulling 16A, then the MCB will usually trip. If it's not tripping, it still means that your wiring is just allowing 16A to flow.

The problem with this approach is that, there is no guarantee of whether the wiring was designed for it. 5A wires can carry 15A but get heated up. Over time the insulation starts to melt and it could lead to short circuit. Worse, the short circuit may be somewhere in pipes within walls and it's even harder to replace them.

I would always suggest that 15A devices are plugged in to 15-real amps sockets as wiring will be designed for it.

Also, for folks who have UPS plugged in, it's even more . important to not have very high power equipment on 5A lines in case there is a power failure and the load hits the Inverter.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:14   #9861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This one also is designed to be operated with 16A source afaik. But I've been running it off the regular 6A socket and have faced no issues in the past two years.
The 5000 series FC9571 has a 16Amp sized plug itself whereas the FC9352 (...or the one you have) is rated to 16amps and uses a regular 6A plug socket. I don't understand the logic behind the plug size variation as both models have the same motor wattage.

I don't think this vacuum cleaner is intelligent enough to know the socket its plugged into. It will draw the full load of power as soon as you turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can you change a 5A socket to the a 16A one using a socket converter? Doesn't the point itself need to be a 16A one in the first place?
You will need to change the wall plate bracket along with the socket insert. I need to check the wiring that is behind the socket before doing this. As some have said, no point changing the socket alone if the internal wiring is not rated to a 16amp load.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:14   #9862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd be surprised if Philips hasn't incorporated an internal circuit to adapt to the power source. I assume the motor runs at full capacity when drawing 16A, but when connected to a 6A source it probably runs at a slightly lower capacity.
It doesn't work like that.

Quote:
Also, for folks who have UPS plugged in, it's even more . important to not have very high power equipment on 5A lines in case there is a power failure and the load hits the Inverter.
True! I have a laser printer on an inverter line. One day it got turned on accidentally (we do know not to) during a power cut and it and the inverter were both very unhappy.

Quote:
I don't think this vacuum cleaner is intelligent enough to know the socket its plugged into.
I don't think such intelligence is possible.

Quote:
As some have said, no point changing the socket alone if the internal wiring is not rated to a 16amp load.
That is indeed the thing.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 10:45   #9863
mxx
BHPian

Anyone here tried Kaff appliances (other than chimney, hood, stove). How is your experience - specially interested in how the build quality and after sales support is.
Old 14th December 2022, 12:48   #9864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Kaff appliances (other than chimney, hood, stove).
No: only those!

But I can say that, after 15 years, support is still good. We had the motor in our chimney replaced recently.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 13:07   #9865
BHPian

The mixer in our home conked out, so we were considering getting a Sujata, but here Atomberg with BLDC has been recommended which will be better in the long term ?
Old 14th December 2022, 13:27   #9866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
The mixer in our home conked out, so we were considering getting a Sujata, but here Atomberg with BLDC has been recommended which will be better in the long term ?
We have a Preeti machine which was been a solid performer over the last 5+ years. The only complaint we have is the noise, especially when preparing or processing things like chapatti dough. The noise is deafening.

If noise is a concern for you, I recommend trying these machines out at a store before you put down your money. Atleast turn it on and listen to the motor spin, to get an idea of noise levels. Do note that these machines tend to get noisier as a load is applied, which you obviously can't try or do at a store. You can sort of gauge it atleast.

We have a Braun Multi Quick 7 too. It does almost everything the Preeti does with far less noise. Its basically a hand blender which attaches to different components. We use it for Indian food preparation too. I can have a conversation with my wife even while its smashing up wheat flour.

I've heard good things about Atomberg so I'd definitely consider them as it should be cheaper than a Braun.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 13:43   #9867
BHPian

Quote:

I can have a conversation with my wife even while its smashing up
wheat flour.
Is that a positive recommendation ?
Braun is a good brand, no doubt, but finding the right model to carry out the required jobs is another issue.
Noise level cannot be rightly judged in Showroom as it is generally large area compared to compact kitchens and also without any load on the motor.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 14th December 2022 at 13:47.
Old 15th December 2022, 10:48   #9868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Check out the Preethi Zodiac

We have the first generation equipment at home. One rugged mixer grinder with options to knead chappati dough, vegetable chopping and the like.

Cons : Noisy like a truck especially when kneading dough and chopping vegetables

Last edited by adrian : 15th December 2022 at 10:50. Reason: adding info
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 19:05   #9869
BANNED

Any feedback on heat pump water heaters?

(It is an air conditioner in reverse, that heats up the water in a tank and cools the air around it, not the room, is what I gather from preliminary study.)

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 21st December 2022 at 19:07.
Old 23rd December 2022, 16:46   #9870
Distinguished - BHPian

Am shortly going to furnish a 1.5BHK apartment and rent it out. For this since it's a compact house I want the modular kitchen to also have a integrated 30/45cm dishwasher and a small refrigerator unit as well. I do not want a 60cm dishwasher since the house is meant for a loner/couple only and similarly a refrigerator which fits clean into the cabinets. Along with this I am also looking for a two burner glass hob.

While I have limited space for the kitchen, I want it to look as professional as any other big modular kitchen so am specific about the above aspects. Any leads would be highly appreciated wrt brand/make/price etc.

Also what's the latest on modular kitchens? Last time we got them was a decade ago from prestige and it has held up very well in spite of the notion people have against MDF kitchen cabinets. Hence looking for something similar, neither very cheap nor too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks