Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 10:21   #9946
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

The easiest way? Simply start using liquid detergents. ...
Agreed. Previously, we used powder, the machine would ask us to run the self cleaning every 2 weeks or so. Since we have shifted to liquid, it asks every 1.5 months.
the_joker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 12:05   #9947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Flipping the coin, I guess we should keep the detergent drawer and area clean. Service guy told me that it due to foaming. Why? Too much washing powder.
I suppose you use detergents formulated for machines and not the normal ones intended for manual wash? They will foam too much and also cause more residues, which are basically phosphates. A machine specific detergent will cause a lot less foaming and residues. Even better are machine specific liquid detergents which cause the least foam and almost zero residues.

But I think the rusting issue is more common with front loaders. I have used only Whirlpool top loaders for the past 25 years and am on my third machine now. Each one lasts usually for a decade. I have discarded them when they became unviable for repair, but none of them ever showed any signs of rust. Another advantage of top loader is I need not specifically use the detergent tray. I can directly pour it inside while the water is filling, and open/close the lid whenever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

The easiest way? Simply start using liquid detergents. You can even buy "money saver" refill packs. We now use Ariel Matic Liquid only.
I deduced liquid detergents are best around six years ago and switched. I find the liquid from Wipro, "Safe washmatic" to be very good and economical. I usually buy half a dozen 2 litre refill packs during Amazon sale and it will me last me quite some months. I also use a descaling powder to run a cleaning cycle of the machine once every 5-6 weeks.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 12:27   #9948
BHPian

A little different question. But did not know which forum to ask the question on.

Need to buy two home lockers for my new home. In one locker I plan to keep extremely important documents (passports, aadhaar, investment docs, educational certificates) and in the other family jewellery.

1. The only name I know from childhood is Godrej. Are there any other worthwhile manufacturers (who don't cost a bomb)?
2. Is it better to go with number-pad based lock or key based lock?
3. What dimensions should be adequate (this would go inside typical bedroom wardrobe in a compact apartment)?
4. Within Godrej range, any particular recommended model?
Old 5th April 2023, 13:15   #9949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I suppose you use detergents formulated for machines and not the normal ones intended for manual wash? They will foam too much and also cause more residues, which are basically phosphates. A machine specific detergent will cause a lot less foaming and residues. Even better are machine specific liquid detergents which cause the least foam and almost zero residues.
Indeed: yes, I use the specific front-load detergents.

I was using liquid detergent in GB. I didn't find equivalents here when I came, so I settled into using powder.

I know little about current top-load machines. My wife and I went to buy one for one of her friends recently, and I noticed a lot more plastic rather than metal. Is this common? One advantage would be absence of rust.
Old 5th April 2023, 13:28   #9950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
A little different question. But did not know which forum to ask the question on.

Need to buy two home lockers for my new home. In one locker I plan to keep extremely important documents (passports, aadhaar, investment docs, educational certificates) and in the other family jewellery.

1. The only name I know from childhood is Godrej. Are there any other worthwhile manufacturers (who don't cost a bomb)?
2. Is it better to go with number-pad based lock or key based lock?
3. What dimensions should be adequate (this would go inside typical bedroom wardrobe in a compact apartment)?
4. Within Godrej range, any particular recommended model?
For documents I would suggest a "fire proof" safe/cabinet. These normally keep documents safe for at least one hour. There are quite a few "fire proof" filing cabinets available.

https://www.godrej.com/p/godrej-lock...filing-cabinet

https://www.chubbsafes.com/en-in/pro...iling-cabinet/

For jewellery a Godrej safe with keys is good enough. The size depends on the quantity of jewelery you want to keep. To get an idea just collect all the relevant jewellery (with their case if required) and arrange them on a table in a cube. Or in a small box. That gives you an ide of size.

https://shop.godrejsecure.com/Home-L...t-Lockers/4/31
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 13:48   #9951
BHPian

Quote:
I know little about current top-load machines. My wife and I went to buy one for one of her friends recently, and I noticed a lot more plastic rather than metal. Is this common? One advantage would be absence of rust.
Plastic parts are prone to breaking. Steel, on the other hand might still live its 'full' life with superficial rust. The other day I was waiting for my car's turn for washing and I observed many cars with rust under their 'chassis' and they were hardly about 3 years old.

My ancient ambassador was a rust bucket and I spent time and money to tinker and paint the body panels over the years. But the integrity of the structure remained intact after nearly 20 years.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 14:53   #9952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically the outer body and the washing drum alone will be metal, the latter will be stainless steel. Rest will be plastic, this has been the norm for many years. No issues because of that. Currently there are a lot of top load models with inbuilt heaters too. The main advantage of top loaders is if power goes off for a long time we can open, take out the clothes, rinse and hang out to dry. Happens once in a blue moon though.

My personal opinion is hot water wash is not required for Chennai climate. Hot water wash causes a lot of calcification. Just add some Savlon or Dettol during the soak cycle after pouring in the detergent. If we wash a bit late during the day the water from OHT itself will be warm, which is sufficient for the enzymes in the detergent to work well.
Old 5th April 2023, 14:55   #9953
Senior - BHPian

Overseas, I used this brilliant top load machine from Toshiba (with WAVE technology). My regular machine has always been a front loader. In Bangalore they have a dealership/showroom, so our next machine will be Toshiba
Quote:
I know little about current top-load machines.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-toshiba-screen-shot-20230405-1.22.04-pm.png  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 15:43   #9954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My personal opinion is hot water wash is not required for Chennai climate. Hot water wash causes a lot of calcification. Just add some Savlon or Dettol during the soak cycle after pouring in the detergent. If we wash a bit late during the day the water from OHT itself will be warm, which is sufficient for the enzymes in the detergent to work well.
The climate makes no difference to either removal of stubborn stains or killing of bacteria. The only laundry advantage it gives is that owning a drier is utterly unnecessary.

Having said that, I seldom wash at over 40C. And even a cold wash, given that it comes from a terrace tank, might be in 30+ "cold" water.

EDIT: I reread properly and noticed your suggestion of using anti-septic. We don't soak, and I preferthe hotter water for the anti-microbial functions.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th April 2023 at 15:45.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 18:01   #9955
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I moved my 6.5 kg IFB top loader from one room to another around 8-9 months back. It was ok till recently. But for the last month or two, it's shakes violently for half a minute 3-4 during the whole cycle. I think this is when the fast spinning happens.
The machine is still under warranty so I called the service people, they had to change some balancing thing (probably suspension) inside the machine - under warranty it was free, but if I had to pay, it would have cost 2600 Rs!! And I asked how long it will last before breaking down again, he said it should last for 4 years before requiring a change again - it has a maximum life of 4 years.

This is really bad quality from IFB. In multiple Korean washing machines I have used (my home, parent's home etc) there were no balancing/suspension issues even for 10+ years.

Also, there seems to be mild current flow when I touch the metal part of the top loader id. The IFB mechanic said it was because I was using soap powder (I use regular Tide Powder - no special WM powder) - as per him, powder soap has lot of form & hence the PCB becomes moist. He asked me to use Tide liquid instead. Again never heard of this issue in Korean WMs. Has anyone else experienced this - using powder vs Liquid issue?

My parent's new Godrej had major problems within 3 years & Godrej service is also terrible because of which I junked it & replaced it with Samsung. Now my IFB has had a major issue.

I think I will stick to Korean appliances 100%. Actually, my parents even had a Chinese (Haier) fridge which even if it's not as problem free as the Korean ones, gave far less problems then my Godrej.
Old 6th April 2023, 16:53   #9956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The machine is still under warranty so I called the service people, they had to change some balancing thing (probably suspension) inside the machine - under warranty it was free, but if I had to pay, it would have cost 2600 Rs!! And I asked how long it will last before breaking down again, he said it should last for 4 years before requiring a change again - it has a maximum life of 4 years.
The suspension needs to be changed both for Front and top load in 4-5 yrs. This makes sure that the drum does not shake a lot when going in spin mode.

Quote:
This is really bad quality from IFB. In multiple Korean washing machines I have used (my home, parent's home etc) there were no balancing/suspension issues even for 10+ years.

Also, there seems to be mild current flow when I touch the metal part of the top loader id. The IFB mechanic said it was because I was using soap powder (I use regular Tide Powder - no special WM powder) - as per him, powder soap has lot of form & hence the PCB becomes moist. He asked me to use Tide liquid instead. Again never heard of this issue in Korean WMs. Has anyone else experienced this - using powder vs Liquid issue?
Looks to be a home earthing issue.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:29   #9957
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
The suspension needs to be changed both for Front and top load in 4-5 yrs. This makes sure that the drum does not shake a lot when going in spin mode.
As I said in my earlier comment, parents have had Korean machines for 10+ years where it never had to be changed.

Even in my earlier LG it never had to be changed.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 14:41   #9958
Senior - BHPian

Can experts here recommend a 3-Burner Auto Ignition Gas Stove (Cooktop) ?
On Amazon Elica seems to have good ratings but want to hear from the experts. This would be for South Indian Vegetarian Cooking.
Old 14th April 2023, 15:28   #9959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
On Amazon Elica seems to have good ratings but want to hear from the experts. This would be for South Indian Vegetarian Cooking.
We are using Faber (4 burner one) for the last one year. No issues. We found only this particular model is well spaced out. We can actually use all 4 burners at the same time, if we need to.
ppc_rgs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 12:30   #9960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
If space is not constrained, get a 4 burner stove. The best configuration is
. Big burner at front
. 2 Medium burners at the back
. Small burner at front

This gives you flexibility of using the size you want and of course using all the four when needed.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks