Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 14:26   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
hi Rohan - I'm really looking to get a convection microwave that I can use for baking at 250C (baking enthusiast!!). But I have not read any experience/reviews that actually put the convection part through its paces... except you!

I was looking to get a LG one, but your experience seem to indicate that there is some fundamental problem - please keep us updated on your experience.
The LG technician visited today. By the way, LG service is very prompt.

The technician said that it is not recommended to use convection mode at maximum temperature (250C) for long time (10 mins). I am not convinced completely, but the technician could not give a proper explanation. He said that microwave oven uses a fan in convection mode, hence should not be used for long time. Whereas OTG does not have a fan, hence can be used at high temperatures for long time.

I have purchased this microwave oven with grill and convection because I wanted to buy a single appliance for all needs. I use this mostly for cooking, reheating and grilling. I use the convection mode only once in a while.

But if you are more into baking, I would suggest that you purchase an OTG. For cooking and reheating, you may purchase a solo microwave oven.

Rohan
Old 20th October 2011, 15:12   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The LG technician visited today. By the way, LG service is very prompt.

The technician said that it is not recommended to use convection mode at maximum temperature (250C) for long time (10 mins). I am not convinced completely, but the technician could not give a proper explanation. He said that microwave oven uses a fan in convection mode, hence should not be used for long time. Whereas OTG does not have a fan, hence can be used at high temperatures for long time.

I have purchased this microwave oven with grill and convection because I wanted to buy a single appliance for all needs. I use this mostly for cooking, reheating and grilling. I use the convection mode only once in a while.

But if you are more into baking, I would suggest that you purchase an OTG. For cooking and reheating, you may purchase a solo microwave oven.

Rohan
that is a very important piece of information for me - I was going to do some slow roasts and bakes (45 minutes or so). So this looks like a no-go for me. Anybody know of which convection microwave I can use a proper baking oven ?

Space is, unfortunately, at a high premium for me.
Old 20th October 2011, 15:35   #2448
BHPian

We are planning for a Chimney. After some online research, Im under the conclusion that Faber and Kaff are good, but after sales of Kaff is better. So I was thinking of going with Kaff. Any suggestions on any models, features to look for etc?
Also any other brands that is worth a look?
My Max budget is 15K
Old 20th October 2011, 15:37   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that is a very important piece of information for me - I was going to do some slow roasts and bakes (45 minutes or so). So this looks like a no-go for me. Anybody know of which convection microwave I can use a proper baking oven ?

All microwave ovens work in a similar manner (in convection mode). There is a heating element (typical on the top) and there is a fan (typically on the side), which circulates the hot air.

I googled for information regarding convection oven and it seems that if we are using convection mode (which bakes the dish by circulating hot air), the same dish can be prepared at lesser temperature and/or in lesser time as compared to a conventional oven (OTG).

Hence you would not need to use the maximum temperature for a long time, when using convection mode.

I still feel that if your primary requirement is baking, you should go for an OTG, not a microwave oven.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 20th October 2011 at 15:39.
Old 20th October 2011, 15:40   #2450
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A convection or fan assisted oven by and large is the preferred tool globally. More uniform temperature and faster cooking. How good is the implementation in microwaves has to be seen.
Old 20th October 2011, 15:42   #2451
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in the market for a 2-door ( Not side by side) fridge.

Capacity anywhere between 240L to 285L. I would like to go with either an LG or Samsung primarily because of their reliability and excellent A.S.S

Now between these two brands, can someone share inputs which would be better? And, why? Any specific brands and model numbers that I can take a look at? Budget is 20K

Would be buying before the end of this month. Thanks for your inputs !!!
Old 20th October 2011, 15:57   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Capacity anywhere between 240L to 285L. I would like to go with either an LG or Samsung primarily because of their reliability and excellent A.S.S
Both LG and Samsung are reliable brands for home appliances such as refrigerator.

I have a Samsung refrigerator, a few of my friends have LG refrigerators. Not a single complaint from any.

Check the warranty and energy efficiency ratings.

I would suggest that you go for 285L model, which has 3 shelves. I purchased the 240L model, with 2 shelves and I now I am regretting the lack of space.

Both brands have models with floral design patterns, which looks very stylish and modern. May cost extra over the plain jane models.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 16:19   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Now between these two brands, can someone share inputs which would be better? And, why? Any specific brands and model numbers that I can take a look at? Budget is 20K

Would be buying before the end of this month. Thanks for your inputs !!!
If you are open to look beyond Samsung & LG, I can throw some light on Whirlpool. Bought a Whirlpool mastermind deluxe 250L 4 * last dec and home ministry is quite happy with the fridge.To sweeten the deal, i got the fridge in 14K from Big Bazaar.

Fridge chills in no time, shelves and trays are adjustable and our experience with Whirlpool A.S.S is also good. Service people turn up in 4-5 hours of logging of service request and so far they have not charged us on 1 visit for minor adjustments to our whirlpool AC's fan.

Last edited by pankaj_sachdeva : 20th October 2011 at 16:21.
Old 20th October 2011, 16:31   #2454
BHPian

Hi i am planning to buy a Washing machine this dipawali. Need you valuable input:
1. Any advantage of it being a front loader?
2. Which brand should i go for?

Budget withing 12k.
Old 20th October 2011, 16:45   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What is Whirlpool used to be Kelvinator / Leonard / Gem once upon a time. All this musical charis ebcame necessary once Kelvinator decided to enter India. Kelvinator/Zanussi/Electrolux are all their labels.
Kelvinator/ Zanussi are labels of Electrolux which are now marketed/ distributed by Videocon in India & thankfully not manufactured.

So for refrigerators one can also consider Electrolux or a Godrej. I use an Electrolux & have had no problems so far & have worked for Godrej & so know the quality of the refrigerators are really good (the technology hasn't changed much so almost everyone's on the same plane).

Godrej after service is sad (it was an in-house joke) & have no idea of how it is for Electrolux (thankfully)

For microwaves just for information, most models of Godrej/ Videocon /Onida come from the same place in China that is they are the same except for the stickering.
Old 20th October 2011, 16:47   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
Hi i am planning to buy a Washing machine this dipawali. Need you valuable input:

Budget withing 12k.
Front loading machine rotates the clothes vertically, hence provides better washing. Also uses less water as compared to top loading machine.

But front loading machine would not fit in your budget. Also, they require proper installation and can't be moved around easily.

In your budget, look for a top loading machine from brands like LG, Samsung, Whirlpool etc.

Rohan
Old 20th October 2011, 17:45   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Budget withing 12k.
I have a top loading 6.5kg LG (don’t remember the model), being using it for last 2 years with no issues. My wife who was dead against washing machines has gone totally gaga on this machine.

Top loading machines are lighter and easier to install plus they will be much lighter on your wallet. The wash quality is almost as good as a front loading plus it gives you the added flexibility on adding water /clothes manually once the wash cycle is on, this is very useful if you are staying in a place where running tap water is an issue.

My friend some time back gave off his front loading IFB machine and bought a top loading machine as his apartment had issues with the regular water supply during summer.

Brand wise there is very less to choose from LG/ Samsung.
Old 20th October 2011, 18:59   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have done baking at high temperatures on my LG MW, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
We are planning for a Chimney. After some online research, Im under the conclusion that Faber and Kaff are good, but after sales of Kaff is better. So I was thinking of going with Kaff. Any suggestions on any models, features to look for etc?
Also any other brands that is worth a look?
My Max budget is 15K
Two key features atleast I would look at before buying

- Compare the Suction Power
- Self cleaning should be present
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 19:16   #2459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Front loading machine rotates the clothes vertically, hence provides better washing. Also uses less water as compared to top loading machine.

But front loading machine would not fit in your budget. Also, they require proper installation and can't be moved around easily.

In your budget, look for a top loading machine from brands like LG, Samsung, Whirlpool etc.

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I have a top loading 6.5kg LG (don’t remember the model), being using it for last 2 years with no issues. My wife who was dead against washing machines has gone totally gaga on this machine.

Top loading machines are lighter and easier to install plus they will be much lighter on your wallet. The wash quality is almost as good as a front loading plus it gives you the added flexibility on adding water /clothes manually once the wash cycle is on, this is very useful if you are staying in a place where running tap water is an issue.

My friend some time back gave off his front loading IFB machine and bought a top loading machine as his apartment had issues with the regular water supply during summer.

Brand wise there is very less to choose from LG/ Samsung.
Thanks. Your feedback really helps. Will start looking for diwali discounts
Old 21st October 2011, 00:43   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Your feedback really helps. Will start looking for diwali discounts
I recently bought Samsung Fully-automatic 6.5KG
its WA85VNLEC MRP was somewhere near 15K
got it for 13K
Similar machine is available in 5.5/6kg model for little lower price.

After using whirlpool for 10 years, I am very happy with new features and water saving technology Samsung has adopted.

I think Next can get you a good deal during diwali for the same.

Most Viewed