Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 16:51   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Finally, the search for a new fridge ended last weekend. I was looking at bottom freezer's for ease of convenience for lady folks since veggie tray will be on top.

There was a Panny which had a bottom freezer and costed 26K and I liked the way it looked too and almost picked up but, decided against it purely for reasons of A.S.S

Of the several fridges that I saw, noticed Samsung exterior quality is excellent and in particular liked their steel finish gray colour. But, their interiors are :
A) less in space and depth
B) no separate chiller for milk storage
C) No air cooled doors. Air is cooled via only from back side whereas LG has back side, interior sides and also via doors.

Hence, I decide to go for LG (350 Litres) which has loads of interior space and above mentioned features.

Price: Paid 24K ( Negotiated from 31K MRP) for it.

P.S : Sales guy even threw in a nice designer type bed sheet worth 1K or more as a gift !!!
Looks good for me as well. I have been on a hunt for a fridge of very similar specs. Which model is this?
Old 31st October 2011, 17:09   #2477
Senior - BHPian

dumb question - with modern microwaves, is it okay to keep them connected 24x7? our light goes about 12-25 times a day. Every time, 1st the generator switches on, then it switches off - so each light going/coming is a disruption.

consequently the appliances switch on-off multiple times. is there any remote likelihood that it may damage the appliances in any way possible?

Any practical exaperiences?

@mobike - what dada - panny is a good brand. What specific example did you have of bad ASS? IMHO - well designed durable items (unlike a WM which has much more moving n shaking to do ) of any good company (read Jap/German/Korean/American) should not have an issue. I have a panny TV, whirlpool wm/fridge, samsung microwave and am equally happy with all.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:20   #2478
Senior - BHPian

The spike due to the Generator is not good for any electronic appliance and anyway even in the "ON" mode its using some electricity.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 17:54   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
dumb question - with modern microwaves, is it okay to keep them connected 24x7? our light goes about 12-25 times a day. Every time, 1st the generator switches on, then it switches off - so each light going/coming is a disruption.

consequently the appliances switch on-off multiple times. is there any remote likelihood that it may damage the appliances in any way possible?
In general constant switching on/off cycles reduce the life. Add to that spikes and life becomes even tougher. Once when lightening hit a few houses away, the resultant spike in the power line fried my TV and VCR, but left the refrigerator alone.

In most of our appliances it is the control electronics which fail rather than the basic appliance, and unfortunately that is what costs most to replace. So to be safe, switch the power to your MW and TV off when ever they are not in use, you will save a minute amount of power also.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 00:45   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. I simply jugaadoed the extension cable and the MW is now kept in the OFF-state.
Old 1st November 2011, 14:15   #2481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I see its 5 star rated, what are the power consumption/requirements of this model.

Does it run on 1MW backup power provided in apartments, reason is that I know that a similar capacity Whirlpool doesnt.

5* rated fridges are the norm of the day for all fridges above 200 Litres and almost every fridge that I looked at in showroom was 5*, so its not a sales tool anymore

With regards to power saving, I do recall seeing something like due to it being 5*, it will save 494 units/annum (something like that), think its mentioned in picture that i posted.

And, have no clue if it will run on back-up power of 1MW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Looks good for me as well. I have been on a hunt for a fridge of very similar specs. Which model is this?
It's a very good fridge for usability and features if you can live with a rather drab looking fridge. Samsung fridges are the "Showstopper" ( in modelling terminology)

Will share the model number soon....

Quote:
@mobike - what dada - panny is a good brand. What specific example did you have of bad ASS? IMHO - well designed durable items (unlike a WM which has much more moving n shaking to do ) of any good company (read Jap/German/Korean/American) should not have an issue. I have a panny TV, whirlpool wm/fridge, samsung microwave and am equally happy with all.
Well, only reason that I didnt choose Panny is because I never used a panny product ( most possibly my next TV will be one) and hence, the apprehension about their service capabilities and ability to respond to calls when something goes wrong.

Decided to go with LG/Samsung as in the appliance industry they usually figure on the top with respect to customer care, product quality, instant brand recognition, VFM etc.....despite there are some superior products which may not sell due to higher price, bad a.s.s or their overall casual approach towards a customer.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st November 2011 at 14:16.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:46   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Decided to go with LG/Samsung as in the appliance industry they usually figure on the top with respect to customer care, product quality, instant brand recognition, VFM etc.....despite there are some superior products which may not sell due to higher price, bad a.s.s or their overall casual approach towards a customer.
Basically in simpler english, you went with the assumed notion that since LG/samsung are the india-wide leaders in a.s.s therefore panny must not be as good so you are willing to overlook its features/vfm for peace of mind when you didn't even do enough research. maybe its more reliable (think maruti reliability vs tata) - or maybe the new generation does not require as much care in the wrranty period either - it doesnt seem like you dived deep enough but chose the safe option (which is a strategy for domestic peace! )
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:09   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I simply jugaadoed the extension cable and the MW is now kept in the OFF-state.
It is not recommended to use an extension cable for microwave oven. The user manual of my LG microwave oven clearly states this.

Rohan
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:54   #2484
Senior - BHPian

That is interesting. Let me read up mine. Why does it say so?

PS: The damned mfrs only give a 1m cable for the setup - are they so presumptous that they want customers to remodel their kitchens accordingly?

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd November 2011 at 09:57.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:17   #2485
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I suspect some jokers think that the extension cable under some conditions may work like antenna leaking out the microwaves.

Only make sure the cable is at least 10A or ideally 15A.

I had a Sharp for over six years, and no problems with the extension. I was not even aware of the advise.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd November 2011 at 10:18.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:49   #2486
Senior - BHPian

They dont recommed it since MW's draw a lot of power and even the 15A cables get heated up from extended usage like for baking etc. But I have used them for few months without any problem. Got a custom made extension with 15A cable and Fuse built into the gang box.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:58   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
It is not recommended to use an extension cable for microwave oven. The user manual of my LG microwave oven clearly states this.

Rohan
As the name suggests, the Extension Cable, is just that, an extension of the house wiring point.

Normally people tend to use a thin wire extension cable and that is dangerous. As long as the conductor is thick enough to cater to the current, there is no problem. Please note that the plug and socket should also have the current carrying capacity of the wire.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:23   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. I have a heavy duty extension cable that is 15A rated, and uses the same sockets as u'd use on the wall! We anyways only reheat food/make rice so the extension cable burnout is a really really low probability event. thanks everyone
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:38   #2489
Distinguished - BHPian

Some extension cables come on a reel in a plastic box.

Even if the plug, socket and cable are heavy duty, using these coiled leads is very dangerous unless they are completely unwound.

I ask our engineers to explain why, but, when you coil a cable you increase its resistance, and when you pass current through that coil, it gets hot, and with a high-current device like an oven a fire is very possible. This is not just theory: I have seen it happen.
Old 2nd November 2011, 19:16   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some extension cables come on a reel in a plastic box.

Even if the plug, socket and cable are heavy duty, using these coiled leads is very dangerous unless they are completely unwound.

I ask our engineers to explain why, but, when you coil a cable you increase its resistance, and when you pass current through that coil, it gets hot, and with a high-current device like an oven a fire is very possible. This is not just theory: I have seen it happen.
Actually I do not think that coiling increases the resistance. What it does is that in case the wire heats up, it cannot dissipate that heat as it is all coiled up in a confined space. The heat keeps building up till the insulation melts and the whole reel catches fire.

Most Viewed