Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 20:36   #2356
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Finally After 10 years of washing, my Whirlpool fully automatic machine now raises her hands for mercy.
Every other day it has issues and i am fed up fixing it regulary.

I've decided to purchase a samsung washer within next 24 hours.
I think this samsung washer WA82BSLEC fits very well my budget and small family requirements.
Please help me with any feedback on the above or similar samsung washer.

Another issue at hand is
The gas Crisis is growing in my town, Every month I've to beg for Gas refill as i am getting it in charity, and I am so fed up with this, I am stuck again with no gas no dinner this evening. booked it more than 2 weeks back, no signs of delivery.

I'll be applying a new gas connection with some private company however to be on safer side for next out of gas times I've just placed a order at Letsbuy for Glen GL 3071 Induction Cooktop.
Paid Rs.2061/- which is cheaper than local store.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:56   #2357
BHPian

Our 7 year old Electrolux fridge is showing age. Some of the trays have cracked. Will the trays be available for purchase separately? I guess this particular model (235L Luxury) is no longer available.

Last week while we were on vacation, decided to switch off the fridge. Switching on after 10 days, got a burnt smell immediately. Found that the fan in the freezer is no longer working. Being a Saturday evening, thought of doing a DIY repair. Took off the motor and got the replacement from a shop in Chikpet (Bangalore). Replaced and working good now. The motor is not good as the original one, but serving its purpose.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:57   #2358
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking out for a good FRONT loading washing Machine.
I previously had LG 6.5Kg fully automatic top loading one. Which I sold it 2 days back.
Was never happy with it's washing quality, it always used to leave some dirt on clothes right from Day 1, like dark grey lines filled with some dirt.

My requirement is, the washing quality has to be very good, fully automatic and not much of sound when operating.
Budget 20K (Not more).
Please suggest.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:44   #2359
BANNED

sushurutha - if "audio quality" is very important, you will have to go in for LG "direct drive" which tend to be quieter.

Regarding dirt - you may be better off applying a wee bit of soap by hand on soiled parts - like collar, bottom edge of trousers, etc.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:17   #2360
BHPian

The 'hot water' in the front loading machines will make some difference (to removing the dirt as well as your power consumption).
"Diwali/Dussehra offers" season is not that far away.
Old 14th September 2011, 08:27   #2361
BHPian

@Sushrutha, 20K budget, any of LG/Samsung will have model. I doubt 6.5 kg, but you should get 5.5 kg ones. Direct drive way to expensive at the moment. One with 100% dryer is even more expensive. I would suggest you to increase budget and go for 7 kg one. This will make lesser washing within a weak. If you look at few pages back IFB quality has deteriorated over the years, so stay away.

As far as noise is concerned, amount of noise produced by washing machine itself not much compared to noise due to placed in uneven surface. When it rotates at highest , machine starts dancing!

We have LG 7KG one from past 7 years! Doing its job flawless. Friend has Siemens (little expensive), also doing job from past 7 years.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 08:42   #2362
BHPian

Need suggestions on buying a dishwasher. No budget as such.
However I have following requirements :
1. Easy to operate
2. Should be adapting to indian type of cooking dishes
3. Dishes should be sparkling clean
4. Should consume reasonable water and electricity

Any personal reviews would be helpful
Old 14th September 2011, 10:33   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
My requirement is, the washing quality has to be very good, fully automatic and not much of sound when operating.
Budget 20K (Not more).
Please suggest.
You can go for LG or Samsung, I recently bought a LG front loading(Direct drive, 5.5 Kg) for 18,500. I am happy with the washing quality. The washing machine does come with a 2 years overall warranty and a 10 years on the motor. I recommend you to go through their websites and choose a model which suit you the most.

1. You can go for higher capacity say 6, 7 or 8 Kg if really required, as price is directly proportional to capacity.

2. Direct Drive is a good technology and sound produced is comparatively lesser than conventional one. I have the latter, back home so the comparison. Its not a deal breaker, but I recommend you to go with a direct drive as you get a 10 year warranty on the motor.

3. With premium models you get more wash programs (trivial in my opinion as you wont use more than few programs anyway), higher spin speed up to 1400 rpm.

4. Samsung is offering a ceramic heater, which according to them is more durable than the conventional one.

5. You can go for other brands like Electrolux, Siemens but make sure that a service center is near by in case of a breakdown. LG and Samsung is having a good network of service centers, I don't know about other brands.

6. So at the end it is a balancing act, chose a model which suit you the most Vs budget.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:48   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
sushurutha - if "audio quality" is very important, you will have to go in for LG "direct drive" which tend to be quieter.

Regarding dirt - you may be better off applying a wee bit of soap by hand on soiled parts - like collar, bottom edge of trousers, etc.
Checked out the LG Direct drive washing machines, Isn't the maintainence bit expensive ? Here, as there is no belt or pulley, if something goes wrong one has to open the drum and motor has to be replaced. Where as in a belt type, the belt can be replaced which would hardly cost 300-400Rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
The 'hot water' in the front loading machines will make some difference (to removing the dirt as well as your power consumption).
"Diwali/Dussehra offers" season is not that far away.
I agree. Will checkout for some offers during the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
@Sushrutha, 20K budget, any of LG/Samsung will have model. I doubt 6.5 kg, but you should get 5.5 kg ones. Direct drive way to expensive at the moment. One with 100% dryer is even more expensive. I would suggest you to increase budget and go for 7 kg one. This will make lesser washing within a weak. If you look at few pages back IFB quality has deteriorated over the years, so stay away.

As far as noise is concerned, amount of noise produced by washing machine itself not much compared to noise due to placed in uneven surface. When it rotates at highest , machine starts dancing!

We have LG 7KG one from past 7 years! Doing its job flawless. Friend has Siemens (little expensive), also doing job from past 7 years.
I have almost zeroed on Samsung, Siemens & IFB models. More inclined towards Siemens (slight increase in budget ;-) ).
Good thing abt IFB is they have 4 years warranty where as the rest has 2 years of warranty. (LG Direct drive, on motor they have 10years warranty)
7KG WM is way out of my budget.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:04   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Good thing abt IFB is they have 4 years warranty where as the rest has 2 years of warranty. (LG Direct drive, on motor they have 10years warranty)
7KG WM is way out of my budget.
7KG or 7.5KG WM from LG costed 23K last year, of course not direct drive. Not sure how much is now... However it was cheaper than Siemens though. Also I am not sure now you get 7KG + model is belt model. Though most of the thing we buy is from LG, I would like to add their sales support irritates you to take yearly AMC.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:52   #2366
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I would like to add their sales support irritates you to take yearly AMC.
It was worse with IFB. Now that I got my service done by outside agency at 6 K, the machine is working (but "flawless" is not the term I will apply to that).

Also, with LG, dealing with their customer care @ the corporate level was far less painful than with others - especially IFB. Response from LG's first line of contact is a wee bit hazy, but as you go up the ladder, things were fair, sharp, quick and satisfactory. With IFB, things were in reverse. The first line of contact was very good - in the very limited range fo powers and issues a "first line of contact" is allowed to solve. As things move up the hierarchy, things are not just hazy. We are dealing with a black hole and sheer obstinacy.

shurutha - if you missed the saga, I had purchased LG 100% dry model few months back. It developed problems inexplicably after one wash, and since a replacement was not available within a reasonable time, LG refunded the cash. That was far better treatment than the lemon of a machine I got from IFB and horrid a/s/s, which needs to repair the machine every 2/3 months. About 2 months after the IFB's AMC expiry, I had to spend 6K at a local repair shop, and the machine is working with slight leaks and occasional hiccups - like failure to spin dry at random.

We did try to shop around for yet another machine, and LG was still the preferred choice - for the sheer good customer care from LG corporate - but presence of a fully automatic top loader, which serves as a redundant backup for the IFB one plus the expenses are holding us back. We will wait till one of these "dies".
Old 14th September 2011, 12:38   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
It was worse with IFB. Now that I got my service done by outside agency at 6 K, the machine is working (but "flawless" is not the term I will apply to that).

Also, with LG, dealing with their customer care @ the corporate level was far less painful than with others - especially IFB. Response from LG's first line of contact is a wee bit hazy, but as you go up the ladder, things were fair, sharp, quick and satisfactory. With IFB, things were in reverse. The first line of contact was very good - in the very limited range fo powers and issues a "first line of contact" is allowed to solve. As things move up the hierarchy, things are not just hazy. We are dealing with a black hole and sheer obstinacy.

shurutha - if you missed the saga, I had purchased LG 100% dry model few months back. It developed problems inexplicably after one wash, and since a replacement was not available within a reasonable time, LG refunded the cash. That was far better treatment than the lemon of a machine I got from IFB and horrid a/s/s, which needs to repair the machine every 2/3 months. About 2 months after the IFB's AMC expiry, I had to spend 6K at a local repair shop, and the machine is working with slight leaks and occasional hiccups - like failure to spin dry at random.

We did try to shop around for yet another machine, and LG was still the preferred choice - for the sheer good customer care from LG corporate - but presence of a fully automatic top loader, which serves as a redundant backup for the IFB one plus the expenses are holding us back. We will wait till one of these "dies".
I too have had fair amount of good experience with LG A.S.S when I had problem with the WM, not cleaning clothes properly, Service engineer had come within hours after lodging the complaint. serviced the WM immediately
Have Fridge, TV, Phone etc from LG only. So overall no problem whatso ever with the other LG products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
shurutha .
Oh.. What a disaster..

Last edited by sushrutha : 14th September 2011 at 12:40.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:54   #2368
BANNED

If you are from Chennai, stay clear from LG products because the A.S.S. is pathetic.
I bought a LG microwave and the front glass broke on the 2nd day.
Tried all numbers possible to get the service people to my house, but they blindly refused to come or repair it.
They first said they are busy and then they said they don't have the spare part.
Finally one guy said, no problem if the glass is broke, continue using the MW, we will repair it within 1-2 weeks.
After all the calls and everything I finally took the MW myself to LG service on 100FT road, and then got back after a day with the MW fitted with a local glass cut and pasted onto the door.
What a pathetic way to go about at a service center.
Anyways I took it back after getting a written letter that if anything happens because of this they will refund all kinds of damages.
I am scared to use it and still no sign of the spare part.
Its been 2 and half months.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:44   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redface View Post
If you are from Chennai, stay clear from LG products because the A.S.S. is pathetic.
I bought a LG microwave and the front glass broke on the 2nd day.
Tried all numbers possible to get the service people to my house, but they blindly refused to come or repair it.
They first said they are busy and then they said they don't have the spare part.
Finally one guy said, no problem if the glass is broke, continue using the MW, we will repair it within 1-2 weeks.
After all the calls and everything I finally took the MW myself to LG service on 100FT road, and then got back after a day with the MW fitted with a local glass cut and pasted onto the door.
What a pathetic way to go about at a service center.
Anyways I took it back after getting a written letter that if anything happens because of this they will refund all kinds of damages.
I am scared to use it and still no sign of the spare part.
Its been 2 and half months.
Isn't the front glass some thing special? I thought it played a part in reflecting the microwaves back into the microwave. I am not sure of the consequences, but it is better to have the right glass.

Got this from the internet: "The poor man's test is to simply hold a metal fork/knife plat against the front of the microwave or edges of the door. If the metal gets warm at all, you have a leak. If not, stop worrying about it."

However, request you to be very very careful if you are going to be doing the above experiment. Better to let the knife stand by itself, while you switch it on for a couple of seconds and be far from the microwave.

Last edited by deep_bang : 14th September 2011 at 13:52.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:54   #2370
BANNED

Quote:
Oh.. What a disaster..
Whoops!!! My apologies!!!

Most Viewed