Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 14:12   #2401
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Dukkandarala mazyakadun aadhi thodefar kamavu tar de!
[ let the shopowner earn something from me first].

Btw, seriously looking toward this purchase.
Looks like you have some serious bargaining skills, my man. I should learn a thing or two from you. My wife always criticizes me for my poor bargaining skills.
Old 26th September 2011, 23:35   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Bullit! you are great and Thanks for all the info. I was seriously looking for a good Micro oven for our family of 5 and 12 sometimes all sons gather with their family. Now I will do the research for both and try in Army Canteen too.Hope DW I have to go for open market only.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:45   #2403
BHPian

So I've finalised that I'll buy Morphy Richards OTG. Now I'm confused about what size to go for. 2 regular eaters. But over weekends say about 8-10. So what size is good enough to bake good 10-12 inch of pizzas and good big cakes and casseroles. I'm getting 28 ltrs for 5K and 24 ltrs for 4K.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:54   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So I've finalised that I'll buy Morphy Richards OTG. Now I'm confused about what size to go for. 2 regular eaters. But over weekends say about 8-10. So what size is good enough to bake good 10-12 inch of pizzas and good big cakes and casseroles. I'm getting 28 ltrs for 5K and 24 ltrs for 4K.
Depends on whether 28L has just more space than the 24L or has more power also. If it is a case of more space only, then take your pots and see which ones fit comfortably - 12" dish for pizza. In case you cook in large pots you may have to go in for larger size.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:48   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Need some advice for purchasing a microwave oven.

We are a married couple with no kids (as of now) .

Budget is 10k (but flexible).

We normally use LPG for most of our traditional Indian cooking, the microwave would be used mainly for reheating food and for my weekend experiments in the kitchen. Would love to make tandoori roti, kababs, grilled fish, pizzas etc on the weekends, using the microwave oven.

Will definitely go for grill+convection models, but not sure on the size. Will 28 litre size be sufficient for a family of 4 ?

What are the reputed brands for microwave ovens ?

What features should I be looking at ?

Rohan
Old 30th September 2011, 12:46   #2406
BHPian

@ rohan_iitr:

I'm sailing in the same boat as you. Our IFB 20 ltr packed up a few months ago, and since the wife's birthday is coming up (not to mention the festival season also), I am planning for a good MW.

Since you a non-veg aficionado like me, I would suggest going for something that has a motorised "rottiserie". Its basically an attachment with a set of horizontal skewers for barbecuing meat, that rotates horizontally inside the MW.

Our experience with the IFB taught us that 20 lts is inadequate (we are a family of 3). Though I haven't seen the insides of a 28/30 lts MW yet, my guess is it should be sufficient.

I can tell you the brands offering the rottiserie option:

1. Onida
2. LG
3. Samsung (few).

LG has the largest range. They have also come up with some "charcoal lighting heater" MWs, targeted specifically at tandoor-loving folk, though I have no idea what it actually does.

Samsung has 2 types of rottiseries, one is horizontal (motorized, very few models) and the other is a vertical stand type (non-motorized, turns using turntable at base). Logic tells me the horizontal one is better, as the marination will tend to run off the meat on vertical skewers.

Samsung has this "ceramic-enamel cavity" which they claim is easier to clean and scratch-proof. LG and Onida have stainless steel cavity.

Onida offers 2 models with a motorized BBQ.

As for features, I suggest you ignore the number of auto-cook menus advertised by the maker. What is more important is the power consumption as well the output power rating of the MW.

What also matters is the diameter of the turntable for a given capacity. The bigger the better.

Personally, I am more comfortable with jog dials than membrane keypads. I hate to keep punching the membrane keypad (with those irritating beeps) until the desired option is reached. This is what is putting me off the Samsungs. Both Onida and LG have jog dials.

Warranty and A.S.S also is a determining factor. In general, Samsung and LG will have better A.S.S. But you never know (in case you live in the neighborhood of an Onida A.S.S center).

I have shared whatever I have managed to find out about MWs in the past few days. If you have any inputs or something I have overlooked, let me know.

All the best for your purchase.

- Bullitt.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:59   #2407
Senior - BHPian

In my experience Samsung has better microwaves. Get one with a Rotisserie. I grill chicken in my gas oven, but a friend does it in the MW. Just note :

. Get a MW with an electrical heater on the top. Ideal for making open sandwiches and grilling

. The rotisserie should hold a chicken of 1.2 - 1.5kg, without the bird hitting any side. It should have enough power in the motor to rotate the bird. Even though you may be roasting a smaller piece, a bigger capacity ensures that small piece cooks perfectly.

. Get as big a MW as you can. The beauty if MW is that you consume only as much energy as required to cook. Smaller weight use less and larger weights more.

. In my experience heat large amounts of liquids - dals, curry, soup on gas, it is faster. MW is faster upto a cup or two, beyond that gas is faster.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:25   #2408
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I like the grill of LG (I think the same applies to Panasonic). This is infra-red with a quartz tube heater. Heats (and cools) in a jiffy.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:26   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Need some advice for purchasing a microwave oven.

We are a married couple with no kids (as of now) .

Budget is 10k (but flexible).

We normally use LPG for most of our traditional Indian cooking, the microwave would be used mainly for reheating food and for my weekend experiments in the kitchen. Would love to make tandoori roti, kababs, grilled fish, pizzas etc on the weekends, using the microwave oven.

Will definitely go for grill+convection models, but not sure on the size. Will 28 litre size be sufficient for a family of 4 ?

What are the reputed brands for microwave ovens ?

What features should I be looking at ?

Rohan
Rohan. I'm sailing in the same boat...as well :P. But finalised on buying an OTG. You can get a 28 ltrs Morphy Richards for 5k. Rotisserie feature included in that.

Buy Morphy Richards 28 R-PC OTG 28 L Powder Coated (Rotisserie) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Buy Morphy Richards 28 R-SS OTG 28 L Stainless Steel (Rotisserie) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

And these ones are easier to maintain too. I personally don't like to re-heat my food in microwave oven.

And above all the dishes you mentioned, we have a serious issues with our sweet tooth. I commands our mind. :P

And after watching the contestants in MasterChef Australia dishing out all those sweet yummy things, we decided to go for an OTG. So for me it is the case of cooking only, hence going for an OTG.

Whatever you buy, happy cooking!

Last edited by creative420 : 30th September 2011 at 14:29. Reason: more
Old 30th September 2011, 14:47   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I like the grill of LG (I think the same applies to Panasonic). This is infra-red with a quartz tube heater. Heats (and cools) in a jiffy.
Are you referring to what LG calls charcoal heater ?

What is the benefit/usage of this heater ? Is it used for BBQ ?

How is this charcoal heater different from the grill option in other brands ?

Rohan
Old 30th September 2011, 15:34   #2411
BANNED

That may be different. This is a grill inside the top used for browning, toasting, etc.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:52   #2412
BHPian

@ Aroy:

Thanks for the very useful tips. Will keep them in mind while buying.

Your observation about heating liquids is spot on. One more thing I observed is that liquids tend to get heated unevenly in a MW. I have experienced this first-hand when I used to re-heat tea/coffee in the MW. One sip was piping hot, and the next was cold!

Then I found out that the liquid on the surface heats up quickly, while the liquid near the base remains cool. I got around it by stirring the brew once in between to make sure it got heated as evenly as possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
That may be different. This is a grill inside the top used for browning, toasting, etc.
Are you referring to the rod-like thing "inside" the roof of the MW cavity that glows red hot when the MW is used in grill mode? (The same thing can be found in OTGs too, usually one at the top and one at the bottom.)

@ rohan_iitr:

I checked the LG website, those charcoal-heater-wala MWs are priced 18-21K. I think I'll pass.

Ohh, and I forgot to mention one brand in my previous post: Godrej.

It seems even Godrej has a decent range of MWs with rotisserie.

- Bullitt

Last edited by Bullitt : 30th September 2011 at 15:57.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:58   #2413
BHPian

Ok, Since we are talking microwaves, I have a question. I have a 7 yrs old Onida microwave. Its a basic model. Its still working perfectly fine, but the inside cavity has started showing signs of age..I mean rust. I was wondering if it is possible to paint it once again? Are there any paints that could withstand high temperatures and are safe to be done inside microwave?

Regards,
Old 30th September 2011, 17:22   #2414
Senior - BHPian

There a lot of companies selling microwaves. Most of the MW we get in India are made in China, Korea and a very few in Japan. So barring the Korean brands, my take is that most of the others are Chinese, please check the country of manufacture (and not the country of seller). Though a lot of manufactured products originate in China, the QA varies from excellent (for big brands) to atrocious (smaller brands, selling cheap).
Old 1st October 2011, 15:38   #2415
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Are you referring to the rod-like thing "inside" the roof of the MW cavity that glows red hot when the MW is used in grill mode? (The same thing can be found in OTGs too, usually one at the top and one at the bottom.)
This is normally an embedded heating element as is found in electric cookers and the like. The Quartz ones have a coil inside a quartz tube. These heat up anc cvool very fast. The normal ones are found in most grilles.

Most Viewed