Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 20:25   #2266
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

hey guys some advice required as we are shifting our house:

1. Refrigerator- Have used godrej and then samsung from last 5 years with no complaints with either. Now I saw a TOSHIBA Fridge and the colour actually totally matches up with our kitchen colour. So can anyone tell me how is Toshiba when it comes to home appliances? Is it worth experimenting with it or rather go with good old samsung only?

2. Microwave - We dont use one right now but now planning to change that. So which brand is the best for microwave? Our usage will more be approx 90% just re-heating and may be 10% cooking. This might change later on as we get more used to using it.

3. Vacuum Cleaner- Again never used one. So which one to buy? Absolutely no idea. The sales guy here told me samsung is the best in this dept also.

Looking forward to some inputs.
Old 11th July 2011, 20:59   #2267
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
hey guys some advice required as we are shifting our house:
1. Refrigerator - Refrigerators are generally robust and seem to last a lifetime usually. We replaced ours last year after 17 years, though it was in good condition, primary drivers being getting a fridge that was more power effcient and having more space. Our older one was a Godrej 310 litre single door (direct cooling) fridge. Since there were hardly any good models in large 300+ litre single door refrigerators we finally decided to go for a frost-free double door model. Most brands make freezer-fridge in the ratio of 40:60 so you end up having a large freezer which is not useful for veggies (like us). And only few make their own compressors so brand-wise we wanted to buy either Whirlpool, Godrej, Samsung or LG. We found that Whirlpool freezer:fridge ratio is 30:70 and their Professional series was what we zeroed in on. We bought the Whirlpool Professional 405 litre frost-free model and it's superb, also has 5-star energy rating (BEE). I remember seeing Toshibha side-by-side fridges but they were quite expensive and I don't have much idea about their India operations especially w.r.t. refrigerators.

2. Microwave - I'm also looking to buy one and was considering the convection type higher end models (for baking, coooking, grilling, etc) but after reading up on the net and getting invaluable feedback from folks here on this thread I have decided to get a decent model that has MW + grill option to take care of re-heating and grilling. For baking we plan to get a separate OTG (oven, toaster, grill combo). I shortlisted LG and Samsung brands, main difference being the cavity (inside of MW oven) is Stainless steel in LG and Enamel in Samsung. Got feedback that SS is better.

3. Vacuum cleaner - We have an old Eureka Forbes model that has served well but now you get much more compact ones (with wheels and very sleek). Also, the newer ones do not need paper filter bags. Saw an LG model recently priced at around 5k that was very good. We haven't decided on replacing our old one yet, but would consider the LG model when we decide to.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 11th July 2011 at 21:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 23:36   #2268
Senior - BHPian

My feedback on the immense 10k budget microwave search I have done.

The cheapest/bestest deal in that price happens to be Whirlpool 30C (9490 reliance) . Its only shortfall is that its designed to cook and sucks at reheating. I mean - it needs adjustment by weight. I'd have almost bought it except this bit. Somewhere in my brain, that is such a #fail - I normally reheat food for 1-2 mins depending on quantity. adjusting teeny weeny touch panel buttons by weight is a bit confusing and means no guest/no maid will ever do it right. The turntable size is brilliant though.

The one with press panels is LG 7687 AB (10200 croma/reliance) - but its front door was a bit flimsy and was already misaligned by 1-2 mm. Immediate doubt in my head

The current favorite that's outta stock everywhere is the CE104VDB (black is the new beige) - have got positive feedback of this series from 4 friends who are owners. The service feedback on this series (104) has been excellent too. Now only to get it in stock!

The ceramic is supposed to be easier to clean (much more inert - for the day some food boils over/makes a spill in the microwave) but the edges don't taper cleanly, thus feeling a bit raw and sort of rusty. Other than that, its all good and must-buy material!

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th July 2011 at 23:38.
Old 12th July 2011, 04:37   #2269
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My feedback on the immense 10k budget microwave search I have done.

The cheapest/bestest deal in that price happens to be Whirlpool 30C (9490 reliance) . Its only shortfall is that its designed to cook and sucks at reheating. I mean - it needs adjustment by weight. I'd have almost bought it except this bit. Somewhere in my brain, that is such a #fail - I normally reheat food for 1-2 mins depending on quantity. adjusting teeny weeny touch panel buttons by weight is a bit confusing and means no guest/no maid will ever do it right. The turntable size is brilliant though.
I am sure even this microwave will have an option to just use Time or Time & Power as a parameter. All microwaves have this even if they have the quantity/food parameters.
Old 12th July 2011, 06:55   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am sure even this microwave will have an option to just use Time or Time & Power as a parameter. All microwaves have this even if they have the quantity/food parameters.
No it doesnt. I read through the manual. It only offers weight options.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong and pick it up instead - it has the best build quality and shut lines
Old 12th July 2011, 10:10   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'd be glad to be proven wrong and pick it up instead - it has the best build quality and shut lines

What do you mean by "adjustment by weight"

If it is some setting on the panel then it is really the power you are adjusting and some smart kid at the design center thought he could give a "new feature" by calling it weight adjustment.

For reheating I always use my MW at full power (highest weight setting in your case) and then adjust the timing to lowest possible for the job - if needed I can run it again.

BTW - all MW owners must keep in mind that the 2.4GHz waves that are used for heating penetrate water only about an inch and oil even less. So unless the stuff you are cooking/reheating is essentially a liquid (daal for example) you'll get best results if the food is spread out in its container (glass is best) in a layer no thicker than about 1 to 1.5 inches.

If that is not possible (too much food to reheat) then you can heat it for some time, take it out, mix it again and heat it again.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 14:11   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I did read quiet a few negative reviews about the "prestige" induction stove, how long you been using it ? and is thier any other makes which i can consider instead of prestige?
I rate Pigeon above Prestige. They also have some combo offers similar to Prestige.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 15:00   #2273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I rate Pigeon above Prestige. They also have some combo offers similar to Prestige.
I have a Pigeon Gas Stove - I need to get it repaired. Does anyone have the customer service number for Pigeon in Bombay?
Old 12th July 2011, 18:27   #2274
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Try this - On the Samsung india website do a compare between convection MW models CE104VD, CE1041DFB, CE104VD-B.
You will find that against the feature 'Weight/Serving Control' it says 'No' for model CE1041DFB so that might be what you're looking for (without having to bother about weight) !
*I'm saying this based on information on the website, not yet confirmed in the shops.

Last edited by NPV : 12th July 2011 at 18:51.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:01   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help me with which vacuum cleaner to buy? I have never used one before and want one primarily to deal with the dust that accumulates within a day in Hyderabad.

2BHK right now (3BHK soon) - 2 people + infant living with very rare guests.
Old 12th July 2011, 21:20   #2276
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Can anybody help me with which vacuum cleaner to buy? I have never used one before and want one primarily to deal with the dust that accumulates within a day in Hyderabad.
Is your home wall-to-wall carpeted? If not, then do not waste your money on a vacuum cleaner.
Old 13th July 2011, 00:11   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is your home wall-to-wall carpeted? If not, then do not waste your money on a vacuum cleaner.

actually it is not for the floors - for that I use broom and mop.

It is for all the shelves, furniture, kitchen tops ... The dust accumulates so fast on all surfaces that cleaning it is a major daily chor - or you risk dirtying your clothes within minutes of wearing them.

I tried dusting clothes, but I they get dirty so fast ... and I have sort of a dust allergy I get a fever and cold within a few hours if I inhale dust for more than a few minutes.

That is the main reason I was looking at vaccum cleaners
Old 13th July 2011, 09:09   #2278
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
actually it is not for the floors - for that I use broom and mop.

It is for all the shelves, furniture, kitchen tops ... The dust accumulates so fast on all surfaces that cleaning it is a major daily chor - or you risk dirtying your clothes within minutes of wearing them.

I tried dusting clothes, but I they get dirty so fast ... and I have sort of a dust allergy I get a fever and cold within a few hours if I inhale dust for more than a few minutes.

That is the main reason I was looking at vaccum cleaners
We have a Eureka forbes model that is close to 20 years old and still works well, only issues being it's not very compact, also it has paper filter bags which you need to change when full.
I recently saw an LG model that was really compact and does not use paper filter bags. LG models are V-CD271NTK, V-CD281NTY, V-KC982RTY.
The one I saw was V-CD281NTY, definitely on my list if I decide to replace my old horse. I read on some other post here that Samsung Vacuum cleaner is good but I could not find any model listed in their india website (vacuum cleaners not listed as a product they sell !)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 09:15   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
We have a Eureka forbes model that is close to 20 years old and still works well, only issues being it's not very compact, also it has paper filter bags which you need to change when full.
I recently saw an LG model that was really compact and does not use paper filter bags. LG models are V-CD271NTK, V-CD281NTY, V-KC982RTY.
The one I saw was V-CD281NTY, definitely on my list if I decide to replace my old horse. I read on some other post here that Samsung Vacuum cleaner is good but I could not find any model listed in their india website (vacuum cleaners not listed as a product they sell !)
I have been told same things about Eureka Forbes, and had seen the LG website.

So does your model clean the fine dust that accumulates on all hard surfaces in the house - window sills for example?
Old 13th July 2011, 09:57   #2280
Senior - BHPian

@vina - What about convection?

Most Viewed