Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:58   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Our 5.5 year old, 310L Whirpool stopped cooling, but the interior light works. So on Jul 19th, registered a complaint by calling their toll free number. On Jul 20th, their Engineer visited and told that 'Core-Board' has to be replaced and he will place an order. The story begin here. Today is Aug 22nd and there is no sign of core-board. The in-charge of the service center says the Whirpool facility in Pondicherry doesn't have it and he is trying to get from other service center. I don't have any option except to wait, while the fridge just stand there. Any clue on this?

How good or bad other brands like Samsung, LG are in support? Next time I will go for one with better support & spares.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:17   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I Disagree, most 200-250 ltrs fridges do not provide
1. Deep freezer (temperatures of at least -18 deg C) which is required for long term storage
2. Low power consumption features like - Vacation mode / economy mode

With a big fridge you are likely to get both of these and more storage space at price of two 200 ltrs fridge with lower electricity bills.
Actually if you open the refrigerator less, the whole refrigerator becomes one big freezer. I have faced this when I opened our second refrigerator after two days and found most of the food covered with a layer of frost.

Any way most of us do not keep meat or poultry frozen for long time (in contrast to west where they may keep them for months), and the major use for our second refrigerator is keeping vegetables. Of course we have frozen peas since the last crop, and frozen tomato puree for the last two months. The current temparature is good enough.

Another point to note is that the "Frost Free" refrigerators use a heating coil to get rid of frost, so use more electricity. In contrast the older "direct cool" ones do not. Even though their freezer accumulates a lot of ice, it acts as a cushion in case of long power outages.

If a refrigerator is not opened up for, say, a week, it switches its compressor just to compensate for insulation loss, which may mean just 1/2 an hour a day or so, and that is as good a "vacation mode" as it comes. Please consider that one refrigerator which acts as a long term storage, will consume extremely low amounts of electricity, and the sum total of two 200 will be less than one 400.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:32   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tray size, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
On a slightly different note:

Guys, can you measure the main tray in your fridge & let me know the model of your fridge (make & capacity) - if the tray measures 45.5 cm long x approx 26 cm deep.

This should be poossibly with the 220 - 250 litre units.

Thanks !
Make : SAMSUNG
Capacity: 255 litre
Tray size ~ 450 x 300 mm

Last edited by Latheesh : 23rd August 2011 at 11:34.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:56   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tray size, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
On a slightly different note:

Guys, can you measure the main tray in your fridge & let me know the model of your fridge (make & capacity) - if the tray measures 45.5 cm long x approx 26 cm deep.

This should be poossibly with the 220 - 250 litre units.

Thanks !
Pawarth,
Of all brands, samsung has a veg box with highest volume.
DC - 22~25 L
FF - 40 L

Last edited by kpzen : 23rd August 2011 at 12:06.
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:01   #2345
Distinguished - BHPian

@KP, I am looking for information like what Latheesh provided. Samsung's mid-size fridge has a slightly smaller tray than what I need. Their 300+ litre versions are slightly bigger. I need one that is 45.5 cm wide.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:45   #2346
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@condor; I had analysed the refrigerators (esp. LG and Samsung) some years back. What I figured out was that three models share the same façade (dimensions). What differs is the depth of the box. So keep this in mind and you may be able to find a smaller fitting tray from the next size below, assuming that you are not on the baby of the range.
Old 24th August 2011, 10:43   #2347
BHPian

To compare the tray sizes go to any of the multi-brand retail stores, take out the trays from the refrigerators you are looking for and keep them one above other. It will reveal 2 dimensions except height.
For height take the freebie containeers provided (I guess with Whirlpool) and try them out in the ones you have shortlisted.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:02   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually if you open the refrigerator less, the whole refrigerator becomes one big freezer. I have faced this when I opened our second refrigerator after two days and found most of the food covered with a layer of frost.
No, not true, the above is only poor regulation of temperature. Probably malfunctioning thermostat or it has been set to too cold.
In refrigerator you should never have ice formation. If it does many of your vegetables will start loosing their texture (as if it has been frozen).

Quote:
Any way most of us do not keep meat or poultry frozen for long time (in contrast to west where they may keep them for months), and the major use for our second refrigerator is keeping vegetables. Of course we have frozen peas since the last crop, and frozen tomato puree for the last two months. The current temparature is good enough.
Ever tried keeping a Ice cream party pack in your freezer for beyond 2 weeks? It will either melt, form ice crystals in it, or absorb flavor/smell of other food - all these are signs of poor temperature maintenance.
In a good freezer (-18C) you can keep it for months.
Whether you store meat etc or not, -18C is the proper freezer temperature for food storage in freezer and 3deg C is the proper temperature for keeping the food fresh for longest in refrigerator. Of course humidity control also matters a lot.
You will get both temperature and humidity control (automatic) in big fridge.

Quote:
Another point to note is that the "Frost Free" refrigerators use a heating coil to get rid of frost, so use more electricity. In contrast the older "direct cool" ones do not. Even though their freezer accumulates a lot of ice, it acts as a cushion in case of long power outages.
Agreed. Direct cool is more energy efficient than frost free, but then you have inconvenience of defrosting and also accurate temperature control as once ice forms the fridge is not able to cool further.

However 1 big frost free fridge is more efficient than 2 small frost free fridge.

Quote:
If a refrigerator is not opened up for, say, a week, it switches its compressor just to compensate for insulation loss, which may mean just 1/2 an hour a day or so, and that is as good a "vacation mode" as it comes. Please consider that one refrigerator which acts as a long term storage, will consume extremely low amounts of electricity, and the sum total of two 200 will be less than one 400.
No, no vacation mode is completely different.

Also do remember that most bigger fridges have multiple compartments with separate doors. Do you still can organize your food into long term and frequent use areas. So that argument does not hold good.

Of course you have to factor in your requirements and use them to decide on your fridge, not every fridge has all options, specially when you are on budget.
Old 30th August 2011, 09:26   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
No, not true, the above is only poor regulation of temperature. Probably malfunctioning thermostat or it has been set to too cold.
In refrigerator you should never have ice formation. If it does many of your vegetables will start loosing their texture (as if it has been frozen).
Also do remember that most bigger fridges have multiple compartments with separate doors. Do you still can organize your food into long term and frequent use areas. So that argument does not hold good.

Of course you have to factor in your requirements and use them to decide on your fridge, not every fridge has all options, specially when you are on budget.
In most refrigerators, if there is only one compressor; there is only one thermostat; the long term temparature will be that of a freezer. It is only where there is a heater in the lower levels of a refrigerator that two temperatures can be maintained. In all the smaller ones this facility is missing. May be separate temperature zones are a facility in the higher end models. I recollect that there used to be an Alwin model with two compressors - one for the freezer on the top and another for the main cabinet. Such designs are rarely seen today.

A multidoor refrigerator need not have temperature isolated compartments. Normally there are just more doors for user convenience. In such cases the whole refrigerator is one big "cold box".

My experience ha been that two smaller units, say 250 liters each keep food better than one large one. Of course if you have a high tech unit with temparature control for each zone, that is another matter.

Two 250L models can be bought for around 30-40K, while a high tech 500L+ goes much beyond this price. (2 direct cool models will be less than 20k!)
Old 30th August 2011, 09:33   #2350
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Let me add a bit. Some refrigerators (my LGs both about a decade old both have it) provide you with the option of changing the fan speed of at least one (normally freezer) compartment. This allows a modicum of adjustability for the temperature. Also, sometimes there are separate thermostats which I guess do the same function automatically.

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th August 2011 at 09:43.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:24   #2351
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Hi Guys

Looking for a new refrigerator. I saw a sharp 2-door 185 ltr and a LG 258VE5 model. After looking at the various GodRej, Whirlpool, Samsung models in a single shop these were the two I liked over there. Yet to see other shops so ...

Are these brands durable and service free for their lifetime? How is their service network ?

I am looking at the smallest 2-door possible.

Sorry If this has been discussed but there are too many pages in this thread to browse in half hour and find the answer.

TIA
--Ragul
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:42   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

a small query on front vs top loading washing machine.
what is the power consumption of front loading WM compared to top loading? i have heard that its less but unable to find the consumption data on websites. found that LG front loading starting model consumption is .95 KW. but unable to find consumption for top loading.

Kindly advise. also how are start range siemens front loading washing machines? or LG/Samsung are better?
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:39   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi all,

what is the power consumption of front loading WM compared to top loading? i have heard that its less but unable to find the consumption data on websites. found that LG front loading starting model consumption is .95 KW. but unable to find consumption for top loading.

Kindly advise. also how are start range siemens front loading washing machines? or LG/Samsung are better?
You need to look at their Motor specs, since each once will have a different motor and hence power consumption.

Not to forget that most Front loaders will also have a heater and water pump (Top Ldr's is by gravity), sum that up and you will have your figures.

Last edited by dadu : 2nd September 2011 at 20:41.
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:53   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I purchased LG 8068LDP earlier this year. So far so good. Happy with the wash quality and performance. LG advertises it with their newer 'Direct Drive Motor' technology. Not sure about the technicalities of this motor. A big plus is that its extremely silent.
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:07   #2355
BANNED

Quote:
Hi all,

1. Rule of thumb - if it is energy inefficient, they will not publish data on the site.

2. You can look at motor power, heater, etc. (already answered).

3. Some higher models do consume less power - especially the newer models since they need to comply with the "energystar" rating.

I was told that the Siemens use electro mechanical controls - less prone to failure due to voltage fluctuations. I am still sticking with my IFB, which, in spite of occassi... errr ... frequent hiccups, is now serviced by the next door technicians, who seems to be doing a better job of maintaining it.

Most Viewed