Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:29   #2386
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You can now add BOSCH to it, launched today.

Bosch Home Appliances India
Ahh, looks like Bosch has finally split up with Siemens too. Prior to Siemens they had tied up with IFB, that was years ago. Looks like they finally gathered the courage to enter the market solo. I wonder if they have set up a manufacturing base here. If not, we can expect their products to be priced on the higher side, like Siemens.

Also, most of the products available with them right now are so-called "lifestyle" products, like DWs and clothes dryers. Even the refrigerators are humongous, 367L being the smallest. I don't think these guys are targetting the middle and lower market segments.

An interesting product I found in their portfolio is that compact dishwasher with 9 place settings. Very nifty and useful, considering that kitchen sizes in new apartments are shrinking by the day.

Products - Dishwashers - Dishwashers - SPS40E42EU

I just hope they price it right.

Also, being a new entrant, I guess we will have to wait a few months before their sales and A.S.S operations are up and running smoothly. For now, even the "Dealer Locator" on their website doesn't seem to be working.

This is a welcome entrant for those among us who are looking for DWs and clothes dryers. I wish them All the Best.

Cheers,
Bullitt
Old 25th September 2011, 23:24   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Bullit. A great article on DW.So nice from Consumption point to consumables level budgeting. BUt the water wastage may be too much.
Old 26th September 2011, 05:55   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
An interesting product I found in their portfolio is that compact dishwasher with 9 place settings. Very nifty and useful, considering that kitchen sizes in new apartments are shrinking by the day.

Products - Dishwashers - Dishwashers - SPS40E42EU
The product looks promising.
My only concern is the effectiveness of a dishwasher for our style cooking .
Is there anyone using a dishwasher here? Any feedback on the quality of wash?
Old 26th September 2011, 07:42   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Friend please suggest me good Food Processor. Primary requirement for processor is kneading the flour and occasionally cut the vegetables.

I have Kenstar Mixer Grinder. I feel after getting Food Processor, I need to pack my existing mixer grinder.

Suggestions welcome!
Old 26th September 2011, 09:43   #2390
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

There is nothing to beat the Kenwood Chef/Major units. We bought one in the UK in 1989, still going strong, even though it is in daily use. It available in India Kenwood - Kenwood food mixers, Kenwood Chef, Food Processor The only thing which had to be replaced was the liquidiser (rather the cutters packed up, or rather got blunt). Now the second one has also packed up. I am thinking of buying another bowl + cutters. Looks like the same design. It should last me for at least a decade.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:24   #2391
Senior - BHPian

In general both Washing Machines and Dishwashers use less water than manual methods, while cleaning more thoroughly. The quantity of water required per was is published in the specifications.

For indian style cooking, all that is required is a "pre wash" with hot water to get rid of most of the oil and spices. After that it is the same as with western cooking.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:25   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Bullit. A great article on DW.So nice from Consumption point to consumables level budgeting. BUt the water wastage may be too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
The product looks promising.
My only concern is the effectiveness of a dishwasher for our style cooking .
Is there anyone using a dishwasher here? Any feedback on the quality of wash?
@ navan49:

Our DW is rated for using 17 lts of water for washing an entire day's worth of utensils and crockery, those used for both cooking as well as eating. This means that on an average, it takes only 17 lts to wash

- 2 small/medium kadais (non stick)
- 1 chapati pan (non stick)
- 1 frying pan (non stick) (~if used)
- 5-6 dinner plates
- 5-6 quarter plates
- 5-6 glasses/tumblers
- 5-6 teacups and saucers
- 5-6 katoris
- 2-3 assorted small steel utensils and small steel thalis
- assorted spoons/ladles/forks/knives/spatula etc.

I can bet no housemaid worth her salt can beat that AND give you the superior, scratch-free and dazzling wash quality that a DW gives. I haven't even considered the broken china / crockery the maid dishes out once in a while. (pun intended)

Typically, while washing a kitchen sink full of utensils, the housemaid will turn on the tap when she begins washing, and turn it off only when she has finished washing the last piece. Typical time taken: ~15 minutes. If you can find out the flow rate of a typical sink tap, you will know how much water the housemaid has used. Sample this: How much water does it take to wash a single table spoon with soap under a running tap? At least half a litre? So how much running water will be wasted while washing all the items mentioned above? Go figure.

The prime difference between a DW and a housemaid is that a housemaid cannot re-use water. The running tap water simply goes down the drain and is lost forever. Whereas the DW filters the same water and re-uses it again and again till it is too cloudy to be used. This saves a lot of water. So, to sum it up, a DW is a miser with water usage as compared to a housemaid.

Where the DW loses out is its requirement for a full house. You cannot (or should not) load just 2-3 plates, glasses and spoons and wash them. In that case, it will still "waste" 17 lts of water. And it takes too long to do the job. But then again, thats not how it is supposed to be used. Which is why we turn it on only when its completely loaded at the end of the day.

(NOTE: Have you seen those small brownish-black stains that seem to appear around a spoon's neck or around the ear of a teacup after prolonged usage? Those appear because the scrubber used by the housemaid cannot scrub those tiny hard-to-reach areas. Enter the DW, and in one wash they are all gone. My mother-in-law fired her housemaid the very next day and went and bought a DW, after I showed her this.)

@ C300:

Go back a few posts. Read this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2513356

and this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2514198

Cheers,
Bullitt.
Bullitt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 12:05   #2393
BHPian

Wow, thats a lot of information on DW's. We have been thinking of getting one, but have just not got around to it. Any preferred brands or models. We are a family of 5, with the usual Indian food being cooked for lunch, dinner and breakfast.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:33   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own the LG LD-2152WH dishwasher (DW) since the last 2 years (MRP 30K, I acquired it for 28K), so I guess I can speak on this subject with a little bit of authority.
Bullitt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
After reading your experiences, even I am thinking of getting one.
Quote:
To sum it up, if you are thinking of purchasing a DW, don't. Just go ahead and buy it. It is a decision you will never regret, and your wife will always be grateful (my wife still is ).
@Bullitt,
thanks for this info.
After reading your exp about dw, as amohit quoted, i am also going to buy it.
That will be nice diwali gift to my wife.

EDIT;

Just checked LG, the model LD2152WH still listed on the website quoting rs29990, will check with LG rep.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 26th September 2011 at 12:58.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:48   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Wow, thats a lot of information on DW's. We have been thinking of getting one, but have just not got around to it. Any preferred brands or models. We are a family of 5, with the usual Indian food being cooked for lunch, dinner and breakfast.
Brands (in order of preference):

1. LG
2. Siemens
3. IFB
4. Haier
5. Kaff / Faber

and

(unrated) BOSCH - although a new entrant in the market, they are known for their outstanding quality. In fact, BOSCH is (or was) the brand behind Siemens, and IFB before that. You can try for this, provided they set up a robust Sales and A.S.S network which will offer you piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@Bullit,
thanks for this info.
After reading your exp about dw, as amohit quoted, i am going to buy it.
That will be nice diwali gift to my wife.
You da man!

Cheers,
Bullitt.
Bullitt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 12:48   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
@ navan49:

The prime difference between a DW and a housemaid is that a housemaid cannot re-use water. The running tap water simply goes down the drain and is lost forever. Whereas the DW filters the same water and re-uses it again and again till it is too cloudy to be used. This saves a lot of water. So, to sum it up, a DW is a miser with water usage as compared to a housemaid.

@ C300:

Go back a few posts. Read this

Cheers,
Bullitt.
Thanks Bullitt for the info. Your observation on water usage is spot on. The maids usually keep the tap running for the entire duration unless you prompt to turn it off.

Did you compare any other DW apart from LG and Siemens? The LG website still lists LD-2152WH. Are you sure its discontinued?
Old 26th September 2011, 13:23   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks Bullitt for the info. Your observation on water usage is spot on. The maids usually keep the tap running for the entire duration unless you prompt to turn it off.

Did you compare any other DW apart from LG and Siemens? The LG website still lists LD-2152WH. Are you sure its discontinued?
When I bought the DW towards the end of 2009, LG, Siemens, IFB and possibly Haier were my only choices.

I eliminated Haier straight away. (In any case, I haven't seen any of the large chains like E-zone/Vijay Sales/~now defunct DASS~/Croma etc stock Haier DWs. I never bothered to visit a Haier showroom).

After reading up on the internet, I found a ton of IFB sob stories on Mouthshut. So IFB was out.

That left me with LG and Siemens. I didn't get to see any Siemens products in any of the showrooms (though they did show me brochures and promised to deliver if booked), and I was not sure about Siemens' A.S.S capability. In comparison, LG A.S.S has a very good network, with one service center located within 3 km of my residence. So the answer was crystal clear.

I researched Siemens when I recently bought a DW for my mother. I think Siemens have finally realized the true potential of the market, which is why I got to see quite a few products on display this time around. Previously they used to market their stuff through an importer named "RBS Home Appliances", who also ran the India-specific website for them. RBS also managed the A.S.S for their products. I now noticed that Siemens have their own website instead of the RBS one. Perhaps all this means that they might have also strengthened their A.S.S network. If that is so, then Siemens is also worth buying.

That I finally ended up buying another LG is a different story.

You can also do a bit of research on the new entrant, BOSCH. Might just be worth it, considering their antecedents.

The LG LD-2152WH has been discontinued for some time now. A few months back, a friend managed to buy a display piece (the last one in stock) from E-Zone for 23K. Before that, the LG brand store had informed him that it had been discontinued. The E-zone guys confirmed this, and initially refused to sell it to him, but finally relented after some haggling.

I managed to buy one last month (for my mom) from Croma for 22K. It was a display piece from their Aurangabad showroom. The Pune Croma guys were very helpful in locating the piece and delivering it to my parents' house all the way from Aurangabad.

Similarly, if you are lucky and if you try hard enough, you will surely find this model in stock somewhere or the other. If you do, you will get it under 25K. Compared to that, the new LG "Direct Drive" DWs cost 35K+.

Siemens will cost you somewhere around 27-30K. Croma in Pune has put up Siemens display pieces in a few of their showrooms, selling under 25K. The one I saw was broken, but eventually led me to the LG I actually wanted. If you are lucky, you might find a Siemens display piece too, under 25K.

All the Best.

EDIT:

@ ashishpallod: Its discontinued man, trust me. I managed to find one "display piece" last month after a lot of trouble. They discontinued it because it is a "belt-driven" model, whereas they have now introduced a new range of "direct drive" models similar to their WMs.

However, if you trawl the market, you might find one going for cheap (like I did), since it has been discontinued.

Cheers,
Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 26th September 2011 at 13:38. Reason: Update for AP.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:45   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ ashishpallod: Its discontinued man, trust me.
I trusted you, thats why i am going to buy it.
Will try to hunt the discontinued model on shelves,
if not found the model, then will look for other options.
Direct drive models are costlier,
looking forward to the festival offer by lg if any.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 26th September 2011 at 13:48.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:52   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I trusted you, thats why i am going to buy it.
Will try to hunt the discontinued model on shelves,
if not found the model, then will look for other options.
I meant, trust me about the "discontinued" bit.

Good to know that you're a bargain hunter, just like me.

Some people are averse to buying "discontinued" models and "display pieces".

Keep an eye out for bargains on Siemens too, specially in Croma, in case you don't find the LG.

All the Best for your purchase.

EDIT: Dukaandaarala majhya commission cha cheque paathvayla aathvan karun de. ;-)

(Translated: Do remind the shopkeeper to send me the cheque for my commission.)

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 26th September 2011 at 14:01.
Old 26th September 2011, 14:09   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Dukaandaarala majhya commission cha cheque paathvayla aathvan karun de. ;-)
(Translated: Do remind the shopkeeper to send me the cheque for my commission.)
Dukkandarala mazyakadun aadhi thodefar kamavu tar de!
[ let the shopowner earn something from me first].

Btw, seriously looking forward to this purchase.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 26th September 2011 at 14:11.

Most Viewed