Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 14:25   #2251
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
I used these CFL's, mounted vertically. holder cost Rs.100, local brand Gelco and tube cost Rs.70, Crompton 11W. Mounted vertically as shown. In last 8 years replaced each tube once and couple of twice. It was Mar 2003 when installed and replacement started after 2006. So average life is approx. 3-5 years.
Attachment 574630
What kind of usage - how many hours a day on the average - how many times switching on/off in a day.
Old 9th July 2011, 16:42   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used these CFL's, mounted vertically. holder cost Rs.100, local brand Gelco and tube cost Rs.70, Crompton 11W.
Attachment 574630
I never knew that the holder and the tube for CFL lights came separately. I always bought them together. Lasts about 3 yrs for me.
Old 9th July 2011, 16:54   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What kind of usage - how many hours a day on the average - how many times switching on/off in a day.
They are main lighting source (6 numbers) in my home except bathroom and kitchen. Once switched on at 6pm, mostly they stay on till 10:30-11:00PM. In bathroom I use normal 7Watt CFL. At the time of cooking, in kitchen we have 36W tube light with electronics ballast and then switch on these CFL after that.
Old 9th July 2011, 17:06   #2254
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
They are main lighting source (6 numbers) in my home except bathroom and kitchen. Once switched on at 6pm, mostly they stay on till 10:30-11:00PM.
All CFLs last this long with the above kind of usage(except the cheap Rs.30 ones).

Quote:
In bathroom I use normal 7Watt CFL. At the time of cooking, in kitchen we have 36W tube light with electronics ballast and then switch on these CFL after that.
How long did the bathroom one last?
Old 9th July 2011, 20:33   #2255
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: CFL vs. LED vs. Incendescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
What do you guys have to say about T5 tube-lights vs CFL?

I was somehow convinced that T5 (28W) is many times better than normal T8(40W) tube-light.
I love them, mainly because they do not flicker when turned on, even when the voltage is low. However, we have replaced two or three after only a couple of years, and also, the fitting is fragile, and has the electronics built in, whereas the traditional fittings are obviously going to be in use by your grandchildren, even though they may get through a few starters and chokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I do wish the manufacturers make separate bulbs & the electronic circuitry involved in CFL lamps.
They do, sort of. The all-in-one CFL bulb is made to fit "legacy" holders. Fittings or lamps designed for CFL tubes will have the electronics built into the fitting, and the tubes will be much cheaper.

Even then, I am now throwing away a Sampson desk lamp (was my bedside reading lamp) because the choke has failed after about six years.
Old 9th July 2011, 22:49   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

planning to pick up a microwave (finally!) tomorrow:
Its either the samsung CE104VDB, or the LG 7687AB, or the whirlpool magicool 30C(too complicated to reheat which is its primary job!!). The whirlpool had the best turntable size, the best touch/feel quality but really complicated to reheat.

The LG was liked for its buttons (others have a touch panel) but the build quality esp the 1+ mm sagging door was frankly irritatin.

So the good ole sammy it will be unless someone has some better criteria for the decision or any other red flags. A.S.S iss ofc not a cncern with Samsung!!

PS: Got spot discounts at Croma today by asking them to price match with reliance
Old 9th July 2011, 23:03   #2257
Team-BHP Support

Using Samsung since 2006. Its a fill it, heat it, forget it thing. Look no further.
Old 10th July 2011, 04:56   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Chalo ji sir,

okay report hai - will pick it up as and when it becomes available!
Old 10th July 2011, 11:58   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Using Samsung since 2006. Its a fill it, heat it, forget it thing. Look no further.
Same here, though since even earlier. Samsung is better for MW compared to LG. LG is better for Monitors and TV though.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:12   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Guys wanted to know about "induction stove/cooker is it worth investing in? or its better to go for a microwave?

primarily will be used for heating or cooking when the gas gets over
Old 10th July 2011, 13:15   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Guys wanted to know about "induction stove/cooker is it worth investing in? or its better to go for a microwave?

I don't know about induction heater but I have a coil heater (hidden coils, heating happens via hot plates) - works very well, you can even cook chapatis

chapatis or crispy stuff is out of question with MW, don't know about induction heater but I guess not.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:42   #2262
BHPian

Quote:

IMO, induction stove is more useful than a microwave if you are looking for a replacement stove. We purchased ours when we were in a similar situation: fogot to order the LPG refill in time. We purchased an induction stove and it proved more useful than we thought.

Only downside is you need to buy induction cookware for the same. I think Prestige has an offer of free induction cookware set of 3 with every induction stove purchase. Thats a real good deal.
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 16:23   #2263
BANNED

What is the difference between "microwave ware" and "induction cooker ware"?
Old 10th July 2011, 17:08   #2264
Senior - BHPian

I did read quiet a few negative reviews about the "prestige" induction stove, how long you been using it ? and is thier any other makes which i can consider instead of prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
IMO, induction stove is more useful than a microwave if you are looking for a replacement stove. We purchased ours when we were in a similar situation: fogot to order the LPG refill in time. We purchased an induction stove and it proved more useful than we thought.

Only downside is you need to buy induction cookware for the same. I think Prestige has an offer of free induction cookware set of 3 with every induction stove purchase. Thats a real good deal.
Old 10th July 2011, 18:59   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What is the difference between "microwave ware" and "induction cooker ware"?
The induction cooker ware should be made of ferromagnetic material such as steel, cast iron etc. Aluminium, copper etc can used if they have a coating of steel on the outside. Microwave cookware such as glass, ceramic etc are unusable in a induction stove.
Quote:
I did read quiet a few negative reviews about the "prestige" induction stove, how long you been using it ? and is thier any other makes which i can consider instead of prestige?
You can try TCL, Bajaj, Glen etc.

Most Viewed