Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 00:11   #2311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Perhaps that helps, but what really helps is the spreading out of the heat by a layer of more conductive metal.
Quote:
Sorry! I was wrong :(
Cheers, no problem. Happens to me all the time, and we should all be as happy to say so

I left gold out of my list, even though I went on to mention it. You can see its place in the table, though. The difference between the conductivity of silver and gold is that, for example, in soldering a ring, if it is gold you can manage to isolate the red heat around the join, if it is silver, you'd have to heat the whole item to red heat. It makes repairing gold jewellery a lot easier than repairing silver.
Old 27th July 2011, 07:34   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Perhaps that helps, but what really helps is the spreading out of the heat by a layer of more conductive metal.

I left gold out of my list, even though I went on to mention it. You can see its place in the table, though. The difference between the conductivity of silver and gold is that, for example, in soldering a ring, if it is gold you can manage to isolate the red heat around the join, if it is silver, you'd have to heat the whole item to red heat. It makes repairing gold jewellery a lot easier than repairing silver.

Sir IMHO, a thin layer of copper will be about as effective as a thick layer of SS/cast iron. And thick layer would invariably mean higher heat capacity - so less control over cooking. Copper bottom is better as a result. Of course a good flame that is spread out to begin with helps.

Coming to gold vs. silver - I'm pretty sure people are not thinking about repairing difficulties when making their purchase decisions, it is more like a way of women to get even with their men in our male dominated society

BTW Gold and silver conductivities are not so different (about 30% - depending on whether you take silver or gold as the reference) that a ajor difference will be felt in spot heating. It is just that silver ornaments are thicker to begin with and hence conduct better than gold (e.g. gold with double the thickness of silver will conduct better) AND ALSO Gold resists chemical reaction like hell, Silver does too - but not the the same extent.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:14   #2313
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen any recent steam iron posts.
I was looking for one since the old one was without steam.

Any recommendations?
I have seen Phillips, Morphy Richards and some other unknown brands @ Croma yesterday.
The Morphy Richards Dolphin (1300 W) is around Rs. 1450.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:06   #2314
BANNED

I will not advise the Philips. Not as durable as the rest. See if you can find Tefal.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:09   #2315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Sir IMHO, a thin layer of copper will be about as effective as a thick layer of SS/cast iron. And thick layer would invariably mean higher heat capacity - so less control over cooking. Copper bottom is better as a result. Of course a good flame that is spread out to begin with helps.
Agreed. The different pots are best for different types of cooking, and what you say about the flame is also very true.

Quote:
BTW Gold and silver conductivities are not so different (about 30% - depending on whether you take silver or gold as the reference) that a ajor difference will be felt in spot heating. It is just that silver ornaments are thicker to begin with and hence conduct better than gold (e.g. gold with double the thickness of silver will conduct better) AND ALSO Gold resists chemical reaction like hell, Silver does too - but not the the same extent.
It is enough to make a practical difference. My experience is practical

ASIDE ... As a hobby jeweller, I was often asked by friends to do repairs. Repairing an item can actually be more difficult than making it from new. I based my charges on a very reasonable amount per hour, and on the time that I thought a pro would need to do the job, rather than on how long it might take me, so I think I was being very fair. It is amazing how many conversations started with "emotional value, blah blah, so upset it is broken broken, blah blah, priceless to me, blah blah..." and ended with "How much?!?!? ... That's far more than it cost!" Ahh, yes... but it didn't take one craftsman two hours to mass-produce it.

The lesson is, just about anything can be repaired...
Old 28th July 2011, 22:30   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Any recommendations?
I have seen Phillips, Morphy Richards and some other unknown brands @ Croma yesterday.
I would recommend something with 1800+ wattage if you are looking at good quality steam. Recently picked up one of the best in class Philips Steam Iron for about Rs. 3500. Though I am not the end user, my wife seems pretty happy with it.
Old 29th July 2011, 10:49   #2317
Senior - BHPian

^ I think that is too much power consumption.
I was thinking something around 1300 W is itself a lot.
But thanks for your suggestion.
Old 29th July 2011, 14:29   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Any recommendations?
We have been using Philips steam iron for the past 6 years. Gets rid of the wrinkles and creases easily.
Old 29th July 2011, 14:58   #2319

I second @Pallavi about Philips Steam Iron. I have been using it for almost 7 years. Works well for me until now.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:50   #2320
BANNED

I am totally amused by the SS vs. Cast Iron vs. Aluminium brouhaha in past two pages. I have cooking pots (the semi spherical ones with "ears" at top) of all three materials, and a dosa pan of cast iron. And an "appam" pan of cast aluminium.

We avoid aluminium pans nowadays, and those are not used much, except for bland food. Dosas / chappaties are invariably made in the cast iron flat-pan. Non-stick also means non-durable for us poor cooks.

Curries in cast iron pans tend to get black quick, but taste better. Wonder French learnt their lessons from my home, or whether my ancestors had any French connection. ;-D

As an aside, a note of what discussed few pages back on induction cookware. Couple of weeks back, had gone shopping, and the shopkeeper showed me a pan for use on induction cookers. Flat bottomed, heavy, and apparently stainless steel, but is magnetic. (Attracted to magnetic). How can that be stainless steel then?
Old 29th July 2011, 17:48   #2321
Distinguished - BHPian

It depends on the alloy.

I had previously thought that all steel was magnetic. I think it was on another forum that someone pointed out my error. I took a magnet into the kitchen --- and had some word eating to do when it showed no inclination to stick to any of my pans, European or Indian. I never knew! <Blush>
Old 29th July 2011, 18:53   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It depends on the alloy.

I had previously thought that all steel was magnetic. I think it was on another forum that someone pointed out my error. I took a magnet into the kitchen --- and had some word eating to do when it showed no inclination to stick to any of my pans, European or Indian. I never knew! <Blush>
Stainless steel comes in both magnetic and non magnetic varieties. As far as I know the high strength SS is magnetic, while the low strength is non magnetic.
Stainless steel wires: grades of stainless steels
Old 8th August 2011, 11:41   #2323
BHPian

I am in need of a microwave oven, which I am thinking of presenting to my wife on our first anniversary. 2 years back, IFB was the best, but now heard from this thread Samsung tops the chart. I browsed through their website and came to know there are 3 category of Ovens. Convection, grill and solo. I can leave out the grill, now confused whether to go for the convection or the solo. We are 3 a family and dont experiment much with the oven. We do the normal re-heating, defrosting, some microwave dishes and popcorn.

We already have a Induction stove too. Now based on my requirement, which oven should I choose? Convection or Solo? I believe, 20L would be sufficient with 600-800 Watts. Please help.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:39   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will not advise the Philips. Not as durable as the rest. See if you can find Tefal.
??
Like many have mentioned positively about Philips, we too have one working fine for almost 5+years.

Last edited by xotiq : 9th August 2011 at 17:46.
Old 9th August 2011, 18:10   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
We are 3 a family and dont experiment much with the oven. We do the normal re-heating, defrosting, some microwave dishes and popcorn.

We already have a Induction stove too. Now based on my requirement, which oven should I choose? Convection or Solo? I believe, 20L would be sufficient with 600-800 Watts. Please help.
By your requirement you can go with Solo. I really doubt you get Convection in 20L also! Most convection starts at 26L. You need convection if you want to bake (cookie or cake). Then again members advice you to go convection as it won't necessarily produce same result as proper oven. In 20L I don't find Samsung has any advantage over other brand. I am not sure you get Samsung ceramic coated interior at 20L. You can see if you get normal knob type (to set time & power) MW. Trend is touch panel type (with all blinking colors and chimes!), and mostly go (panel) after 1 year warranty is over!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks