Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 03:41   #2491
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

You may be right, Aroy --- and you are certainly better informed than I am. I guess I should do some googling.
Old 4th November 2011, 01:49   #2492
BHPian

Have used microwave with extension cable for more than 6 years.
only things you should be worried about are :-

1). use good quality plug/socket, prefer a 15A ones Anchor is best.
2). Use good quality ISI Approved cable, measure the required distance and get the extension board made up on a wooden board.
Always have the EARTH cable run along live+neutral, so this would need 3 wires in all or a heavy duty black cable but Earthing is a MUST.

3). NEVER use those cheap China made extension boards,
Most of them cannot handle 1000W-2000Watts

4). get the board fixed on to wall, wire to be clipped to wall if not thru PVC pipes
make sure its way above the reach of children.

5). never use longer wire, do not coil the wire behind the microwave to hide and improve the looks of your arrangement, it may be a dangerous decision.

6). Hire a electrician to get this done, don't save a few bucks and take a risk of D.I.Y. if you have not done this kinda thing before.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 09:11   #2493
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
1). use good quality plug/socket, prefer a 15A ones Anchor is best.
3). NEVER use those cheap China made extension boards,
Most of them cannot handle 1000W-2000Watts
I avoid Anchor. I suggest you go for a brand which are single piece brass pins - Northwest & Crabtree are to of them. With two part pins as in Anchor there is always a rick of sparking where the two parts screw together.

I agree, since cheap extension boards use cable rated at not more than 5-6A so must be avoided at all costs.
Old 4th November 2011, 13:52   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Anyone using air purifiers? Are they really useful and worth the investment?
Did you finally buy an air purifier?

We are looking at buying one in Bangalore .Both me and wifey are prone to allergies from dust and pollens.The moment I land in bangalore ,i get all kinds of problems lranging from a running nose to coughs to itchy eyes.This doesnt happen in any other place .The doctor says nothing much can be done about this as I am prone to allergies due to something in the air .

So we are now looking at air purifiers as the last option before we decide to change cities .

We have been evaluating the following 2 of which the dealer has agreed to give the LG for 22k INR while the Eureka Forbes model is available for close to 11k .

LG PS-N550WP Air Purifier - LG Air Purifier cleans your air and help you get a healthier air to breathe - LG Electronics IN

http://www.eurekaforbes.com/air-puri...air-detox.aspx

Wanted to know your thoughts on these .
Old 4th November 2011, 14:31   #2495
BHPian

I did some research on Purifiers. Had demos of Zero-B, Kent and Aquaguard.
I Kent was lucrative as it has all the filters inside but came to know that the chocking of filters happen fast somehow and the service is not so good.
Zero-B was another good option but somehow felt that they all are using same technology except final stage purification through UV or Iodine.
Finally i bought Aquaguard Enhance Green RO purifier. Installation is going on currently. total cost was 11990/-.
will update about performance shortly.
Old 4th November 2011, 14:39   #2496
BHPian

^^ satya is asking for Air purifier not water purifier.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 17:29   #2497
Senior - BHPian

There was a long discussion quite some time back on air purifiers. If you are suffering from pollen allergy, then you need to be protected at all time. It is of no use to be protected at home while being exposed on the roads and office. What I had suggested was

. Get personal nose filters nasal filters allergies | breathing relief These are used by a lot of persons in US, and are the ultimate solution.

. Install fine filters in the air circulation system. This means all the incoming air - door, windows, AC, under doors etc has to be filtered, and it is a major task maintaining it. Just installing a recirculating filter apparatus helps a bit but not much.

. Even in your city, there must be areas where the effect on you is less, find such an area and move over there if feasible.

Of course the best remedy is to shift cities, as that solves your problem long term.
Old 4th November 2011, 17:50   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Did you finally buy an air purifier?

We are looking at buying one in Bangalore .Both me and wifey are prone to allergies from dust and pollens.The moment I land in bangalore ,i get all kinds of problems lranging from a running nose to coughs to itchy eyes.This doesnt happen in any other place .The doctor says nothing much can be done about this as I am prone to allergies due to something in the air .

So we are now looking at air purifiers as the last option before we decide to change cities .

We have been evaluating the following 2 of which the dealer has agreed to give the LG for 22k INR while the Eureka Forbes model is available for close to 11k .

LG PS-N550WP Air Purifier - LG Air Purifier cleans your air and help you get a healthier air to breathe - LG Electronics IN

http://www.eurekaforbes.com/air-puri...air-detox.aspx

Wanted to know your thoughts on these .
I settled for this Atlanta Health Care | Health Care-Air Purifier, Delhi, India, Air Purifier, Ionic Air Purifier, Hepa Air Purifier,Honeywell Air Purifier,L G Air Purifier,UV Air Purifier,Hepa filter Air Purifier,Air Purifier Filter,Alen Air Purifier,ION Air Purifier, as a temporary solution (for appx 12.5K) till one of the better brand names becomes avlbl. Seems to be a Chinese make branded here.

It is working fine without any problems so far for almost 10+ months now. The room does feel fresh and odour free after running this continuously. Not sure about about allergic and other claims.

While LG seems to be costlier but it is technically superior IMO, at least from the LG website I can see it provides certain certifications as well.

Eurekaforbes on the other hand may just be re-branded import given the lack of technical specs & certifications.

I would go for LG keeping in mind their superior customer care, since one or more of the filters would need to be replaced frequently.
Old 5th November 2011, 02:33   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I avoid Anchor. I suggest you go for a brand which are single piece brass pins - Northwest & Crabtree are to of them. With two part pins as in Anchor there is always a rick of sparking where the two parts screw together.

I agree, since cheap extension boards use cable rated at not more than 5-6A so must be avoided at all costs.
Thanks sir for the details.
I've used northwest MCB's but never knew these minute details about the sockets, will certainly grab a couple of them very soon as I am too shifting location of Induction Cooktop and microwave so will need to make proper fixed wire connection at new location.
Old 5th November 2011, 23:17   #2500
Distinguished - BHPian

I can speak out against MK sockets --- or, at least, the "international" ones.

MK is a MNC. It is almost a standard in UK, where their three-flat-pin sockets will last for decades. Here, it is lucky if the flt-pin plug makes contact at all. Very poor quality.
Old 10th November 2011, 00:20   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone .We ended up buying the Euroair Detox from Eureka Forbes for 11k INR .I wasnt happy with the response of the LG Shoppe to my queries . I thought if this is how it is before I buy ,imagine how would it be later on when I need service .Also the LG guy said air purifiers never sell and they dunno if its manufactured in the factory :O He then said he would get back to me which inspite of repeated calls ,they never got back .
Hence settled for the Eureka Forbes appliance .The finish is not so great and yeah ,it is a rebranded product . It has been continuously on since the last 2 days .I will keep you updated on the performance .
Old 10th November 2011, 09:44   #2502
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Thanks sir for the details.
I've used northwest MCB's but never knew these minute details about the sockets, will certainly grab a couple of them very soon as I am too shifting location of Induction Cooktop and microwave so will need to make proper fixed wire connection at new location.
I thought we were discussing plug tops.

Also, Northwest and a few others have sockets and plug tops with a higher than 16A rating (I think 25A). The pins have the same matrix and pin dia's as the 16A but are longer. Very useful for ACs and the like (esp if you are looking at 2TR and more).
Old 10th November 2011, 13:09   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Now my next proposal is of buying a sewing machine for commercial cum home use. We have seen Usha flair and Juki HZL27Z. BIt confused in selection. The purpose is for a tailor shop after some time. Which one will be better ? Is there any other option?
Old 10th November 2011, 13:38   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Couple of home appliances update from me:
1. The 8 year old IFB washing machine went kaput again. This time the entire wiring harness and three boards needed to be changed. All was covered under the AMC but the whole thing took almost a month and numerous follow up calls. There is no point in persuading them to do anything faster than their estimate. Even if they promise you that it will be done sooner, they will not actually do it. They get their spare parts from Goa it seems and that has a turnaround time of a week!
2. The whirlpool RO filter: The filter stopped working and had to get all the membranes changed again. This was followed up by a call to get their warranty, which costs 2K+ annual fee and does not cover membranes! Which made me wonder whats the point then! Anyway, said "no thank you" to them.
Old 10th November 2011, 14:10   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone aware of pricing of the newly launched Bosch Appliances, WM and DW ??

Most Viewed