Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 13:13   #1516
BANNED

Feeling like Henry Ford's customer

Ok; back after the power cuts. :-D

After some hard thinking, and looking again at some posts in this thread, I am now feeling that it not worth to go in for a Washer Dryer combo. Choices are very limited in India, and (probably therefore,) prices are very hign.

See the link from a Middle East retailer I had posted some months back. Posting again for info.

http://www.jackys.com/j_subGroup.asp?sc=30805

Here, apart from LG (3) models, Samsung (1 model), and IFB (1 model, internet special price not valid for KL - IFB, go take a walk!!!!) we have not much choices. Will be glad if anybody corrects me.

Siemens, the only other brand likely to have a washer dryer is outrageously expensive, and looks too suspiciously identical to other chinese sourced unbranded models in the market, that I will not touch it.

Given my experience, right now, I am left with only one model to chose from; the Samsung one, which offers only 95% drying, as per its user manual.

That explains the post title.

So, option before me is to go in for a washer only model (LG is still under my consideration now, and hope that others in the family will consent) and go in for another separate dryer.

The down side being only LG and IFB have dryer-only models.

Either way, purchase will be delayed by 2 months at least.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:19   #1517
Distinguished - BHPian

So far been only to one shop, Vivek in Mylapore. For front loaders, they did not have any "lower" price models on display, everything was over 30,000.

Couldn't help drooling over a 34,000 Siemens... I guess I must have a thing about German design.

I'm set against IFB, and BSD is keeping me that way! Only yesterday, our AC mechanic said, "I know someone who has one for 18 years" --- yes, but the experience of those who have bought them in the past few years is more to the point!

BSD... glad you got your stuff sorted out with LG. The fact that they acted honourably is a big point in their favour.
Old 21st October 2010, 00:58   #1518
Senior - BHPian

@TEG,

Why don't you try Whirlpool this time around. See the link below, the prices there in are MRP and you will get better prices at the shops.

Whirlpool India > Products > Washing Machines > Fully Automatic(Front Load)

Earlier this year my mother replaced her nearly 8 year old Whirlpool with.. you guessed it another Whirlpool. BTW front loaders both of them. The machine will run trouble free for a good 5-6 years after which the decently organized service team of Whirlpool comes to the rescue.
Old 21st October 2010, 06:05   #1519
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@TEG,

Why don't you try Whirlpool this time around. See the link below, the prices there in are MRP and you will get better prices at the shops.

Whirlpool India > Products > Washing Machines > Fully Automatic(Front Load)

Earlier this year my mother replaced her nearly 8 year old Whirlpool with.. you guessed it another Whirlpool. BTW front loaders both of them. The machine will run trouble free for a good 5-6 years after which the decently organized service team of Whirlpool comes to the rescue.
How is Whirlpool in comparison with LG overall (i.e. not just washing machines)
- quality
- service
- price
Old 21st October 2010, 07:53   #1520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : ... I am now feeling that it not worth to go in for a Washer Dryer combo.
IMO, a dryer unit is necessary in places where the winters are severe. May be even North India. But for us down south, I dont think we need that. A good spin-dry cycle gets most of the water out & 4-5 hours of drying completes things.

But then there's always the thing about personal choice ..

Quote:
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : Too early to get married and too late to get off the computer, eh?
Err.... I cannot think of a more complicated answer!!!
Good one, BSD. Anku, you went back to sleep ?

Last edited by condor : 21st October 2010 at 07:56.
Old 21st October 2010, 08:07   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How is Whirlpool in comparison with LG overall (i.e. not just washing machines)
- quality
- service
- price
My recent experiences with Whirlpool
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1959307-post.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2021421-post.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2048376-post.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2062038-post.html

LG is good too; we've their LCD Tv & when we wanted to mount it on the wall, the service personnel came in an hour as promised & did the job perfectly; but this was atleast 3 years ago. So I'm not sure which one to rate better. Overall, Whirlpool has a good process to be followed.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:24   #1522
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMO, a dryer unit is necessary in places where the winters are severe. May be even North India. But for us down south, I dont think we need that. A good spin-dry cycle gets most of the water out & 4-5 hours of drying completes things.
It is the humidity here during monsoons; and the difficulty of having to hang up clothes indoors that is making me veer towards these. Also, me and wife are not always at home; we have to work extended hours. Parents may not be able to do the chores always.
Old 21st October 2010, 22:25   #1523
Distinguished - BHPian

I think a drier is well justified in Kerala: you guys probably see as many wet days in a year as I did in London. Here we can live with the very few weeks per year that everything is soggy. One thing I learnt years ago: driers do not like long periods of not being used. I guess that won't be a problem in Kerala.

At a glance, I don't like the look of the Whirlpool machines as much as LG (and not nearly as much as my beloved German machines!) but will take a look at them, in the metal, next time I go viewing.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:12   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think a drier is well justified in Kerala: you guys probably see as many wet days in a year as I did in London. Here we can live with the very few weeks per year that everything is soggy.
In case you have no space constraint, I would still suggest a stand alone drier, rather than a combination washer/drier. In my opinion, a stand alone drier can afford to be less reliable as it is not as critical as a WM. It will at the most inconvenience you if it fails. A WM failure on the other hand, will leave you with ever growing pile of soiled clothes.
Old 25th October 2010, 09:02   #1525
BHPian

Hello Folks!

Need some help from you all. I am looking for a fridge and a washing machine within a total budget of about 30k. Nothing too high fancy. Just regular stuff. Fridge should be somewhere along 200 liters and washing machine can be either front or top loading. Doesn't matter if its semi-auto or fully-auto.

Most importantly, I'm looking for hassle free products. Good quality stuff with relatively long life and decent A.S.S . Mom and dad have had a Samsung fridge and a Whirlpool washing machine for many years now, and I haven't heard any horror stories about the products till date. So I'm kinda inclined towards these brands. But I am open to other brands as well.

So kindly suggest some options .

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:00   #1526
BANNED

sourav, a 200L firdge would put you back by 12 to 15K; that leaves you with 15 to 18 K for a washing machine. Go for a front loader, 5 to 6 KG capacity. 5 KG for family size up to 3; anything larger andyou need 6 KG or more. (Family size means family size after 3 years!!! you are buying somethign which is durable.)

IIRC, both brands have suitable models which will stay within your budget.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:09   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hello Folks!

Need some help from you all. I am looking for a fridge and a washing machine within a total budget of about 30k. Nothing too high fancy. Just regular stuff. Fridge should be somewhere along 200 liters and washing machine can be either front or top loading. Doesn't matter if its semi-auto or fully-auto.

Most importantly, I'm looking for hassle free products. Good quality stuff with relatively long life and decent A.S.S . Mom and dad have had a Samsung fridge and a Whirlpool washing machine for many years now, and I haven't heard any horror stories about the products till date. So I'm kinda inclined towards these brands. But I am open to other brands as well.

So kindly suggest some options .

Thanks in advance.
If you are based out of a coastal city then make sure that you go for a frost free refrigerator, probably a 5 –star rated refrigerator as energy usage will matter in the long run. I have a samsung 5 star rated model since last 1.5 yrs.

Washing machine - I am using a LG top loading 6.5 kg model, quite convenient and hassle free to use.
Areas with water shortage should go in for a top loading model as water can be filled in manually with buckets to operate the machine. I have experience severe water shortage and my top load was used in such situations.

Last edited by tj123 : 25th October 2010 at 11:11.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:11   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most importantly, I'm looking for hassle free products. Good quality stuff with relatively long life and decent A.S.S .
Price is already discussed with BSD & there's nothing to mention further. Go for Whirlpool brand & you'll be more than satisfied. I'm not against LG either, they make a good A.S.S too.

Quote:
Mom and dad have had a Samsung fridge and a Whirlpool washing machine for many years now, and I haven't heard any horror stories about the products till date. So I'm kinda inclined towards these brands. But I am open to other brands as well.
At least in Chennai, Whirlpool provides an excellent service as well as a good feedback process. Check my experience with Whirlpool WM several pages back.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:56   #1529
BHPian

Thanks a lot aargee, tj123, BaCkSeAtDrIVeR for replying I was looking at this fridge Samsung 230L . Frost free with 230 Liters. For 15k, i'd say it seems decent. Any particular features I should be looking out for while choosing a fridge? How is Samsung when it comes to home appliances?

For the washing machine, I was looking at this one, by Whirlpool. Capacity is 6.5 Kg's. Fully auto, top loading for 14k. Although, the tub is mentioned as plastic. This model has a twin, with a stainless steel tub. For just 1k more. Does it matter much, whether the tub is plastic or stainless steel?

Thanks once again you guys for answering my questions. Much appreciated.
Old 25th October 2010, 19:49   #1530
BHPian

Looking to buy a Microwave for my mom.

1. We are Vegetarians.
2. I don't think we would be using baking as well.

So, I guess basic MW will do, now the question is what brand and size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks